Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now

CENTRAL CITY RED RACER ISA
LCBO 415703 | 473 mL can
Price: $ 2.50

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

cfrancis wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
midlife crisis wrote: Agreed. I get up to Renfrew Co. in the summer and have really enjoyed the Whitewater beers the past two years. Too bad they have chosen to can the pedestrian (as you say, I agree) Farmer's Daughter. The Whistling Paddler English Ale is actually pretty good.
Square Timber is worth checking out if you're in the area. Shared some very enjoyable growlers of their pale ale and IPA at the inlaws, and it looks like they have plans to do a number of more adventurous brews in the need future. It's located a little ways out of Pembroke, about 15 minutes from Eganville.
Absolutely Marc will look after you. If you end up going, tell him Chad sent you.
Definitely will pop in this summer. Thanks.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Lowenbrau Radler Can 473 ml Price: $2.45
Bud Light Apple Bottle 341 ml
Bentley Brewers Copper Lager Can 473 ml Price: $2.55

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Craig wrote:
dale cannon wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new at TBS

Goose Island IPA Quantity: 12 × Bottle 341 ml Price: $25.50
TBS website says this is brewed by Keith's Brewery. Is Labatt contract brewing GI IPA for the Canadian market?

More US brewers showing up (mostly kegs) at TBS, Kona, Atwater, Red Hook, Stone, Ommegang.
Wherever they're making it, if it's the stuff they had at the Jays game, it's a pretty nice IPA. At that price, that's something I would actually come away from TBS happy with.
Picked up a 12 pack of "goose island IPA". In case there was any doubt, it is in fact brewed at Labatt.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

dale cannon wrote:
Craig wrote:
dale cannon wrote: TBS website says this is brewed by Keith's Brewery. Is Labatt contract brewing GI IPA for the Canadian market?

More US brewers showing up (mostly kegs) at TBS, Kona, Atwater, Red Hook, Stone, Ommegang.
Wherever they're making it, if it's the stuff they had at the Jays game, it's a pretty nice IPA. At that price, that's something I would actually come away from TBS happy with.
Picked up a 12 pack of "goose island IPA". In case there was any doubt, it is in fact brewed at Labatt.
I think they're using a Quebec plant, if I recall correctly.
saintjohnswort.ca

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

dale cannon wrote:
Craig wrote:
dale cannon wrote: TBS website says this is brewed by Keith's Brewery. Is Labatt contract brewing GI IPA for the Canadian market?

how was the beer?

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

matt7215 wrote:
dale cannon wrote:
Craig wrote: Wherever they're making it, if it's the stuff they had at the Jays game, it's a pretty nice IPA. At that price, that's something I would actually come away from TBS happy with.
how was the beer?
Will try it tonight and report back.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had the Goose Island IPA at the Jays game the other day. Pretty sure it's the "Goose IPA" beer instead of the India Pale Ale beer. They seem to have 2 quite different IPAs.

Difference being it's not an American hoppy brew...it's more English style, so muted hops and a bit more malts. Nice beer, if you have the right expectations.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

El Pinguino wrote:Had the Goose Island IPA at the Jays game the other day. Pretty sure it's the "Goose IPA" beer instead of the India Pale Ale beer. They seem to have 2 quite different IPAs.

Difference being it's not an American hoppy brew...it's more English style, so muted hops and a bit more malts. Nice beer, if you have the right expectations.
I had a pint of this at a Fionn McCools and thought it was great, but I'm quite fond of English-style IPA's.

Look forward to hearing what the bottles taste like.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

El Pinguino wrote:Had the Goose Island IPA at the Jays game the other day. Pretty sure it's the "Goose IPA" beer instead of the India Pale Ale beer. They seem to have 2 quite different IPAs.

They have both a Goose Island IPA and a Goose Island India Pale Ale? Are both different from Honkers? (which I kind of like).

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

I consumed a bottle of the Labatt made "Goose IPA", 5.9% abv.

The good news: it's by far the most pungent and bitter beer brewed by labatt.

The bad news: That's not saying much. And it struck me as being a lot like {insert generic labatt ale} with hop extract and caramel added.

It might be an ok option to grab a 12 for your friends to drink at your BBQ's this summer.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

It's always been a hybrid of the two styles, as it contains both American (Cascade, Centennial) and English hops (Styrian Golding, Pilgrim), but has long been marketed as an English IPA by the brewer. As far as I know they do not have two IPAs, they've just re-branded the existing one as "Goose IPA."

I enjoyed this beer when I first tried it in 2008, and was looking forward to grabbing a half case, so I'm disappointed to read Nigel's comments. That said, with the outsourcing of production to A-B InBev / Labatt facilities, I wouldn't be surprised if it has changed significantly (and for the worse, by the sounds of it).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Thanks, interesting article. I presume the noticeable increase in Goose Island availability in Ontario is due to the production facility in Baldwinsville, NY.

This is the question I was asking about Sierra Nevada, too. Has anyone done or seen any information on side-by-side tasting of CA Sierra Nevada vs North Carolina Sierra Nevada?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now

EPIPHANY 2 IMPERIAL PILSNER
LCBO 419754 | 650 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 8.95

LAKE OF BAYS CHELI PALE ALE
LCBO 423558 | 750 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 11.95

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Had a couple of pints of Honkers last night watching the game. Not too bad.