Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Automatic

Post by Automatic »

Just picked up a case of Thrust at my local LCBO in downtown Toronto.

A very nice surprise for the weather we're supposed to have this weekend (especially considering it's not listed on the website yet).

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

DON DE DIEU
LCBO 418855 | 750 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 6.95

GOOSE ISLAND IPA
Canada | Labatt Breweries Of Canada
LCBO 423327 | 6x341 mL | $ 13.75

GREAT LAKES BREWERY THRUST IPA
Canada | Great Lakes Brewing Co. Inc.
LCBO 419721 | 650 mL | $ 5.95 | SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES

SIERRA NEVADA PALE ALE
USA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co
LCBO 409854 | 6x355 mL | $ 14.95

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

spinrsx wrote:new:

DON DE DIEU
Price $ 6.95

GOOSE ISLAND IPA

SIERRA NEVADA PALE ALE

Great to see but curious to see how fresh the Sierra N and Goose is. If anyone has bought it yet can you let the rest of us know. Hopefully the LCBO can get some Bourbon County Stout for this years release but I will not hold my breath. If anyone is interested Consumers Beverages has Sierra - Pale, Torpedo and Hop Hunter 12 packs on sale right now for $14.99. The Hop Hunter was very fresh and is a terrific well balanced IPA. The Torpedo looks fresh as well and as always is always a terrific IPA in IMO.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

vandutchy wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new:

DON DE DIEU
Price $ 6.95

GOOSE ISLAND IPA

SIERRA NEVADA PALE ALE

Great to see but curious to see how fresh the Sierra N and Goose is. If anyone has bought it yet can you let the rest of us know. Hopefully the LCBO can get some Bourbon County Stout for this years release but I will not hold my breath. If anyone is interested Consumers Beverages has Sierra - Pale, Torpedo and Hop Hunter 12 packs on sale right now for $14.99. The Hop Hunter was very fresh and is a terrific well balanced IPA. The Torpedo looks fresh as well and as always is always a terrific IPA in IMO.
It's mentioned in another thread but the Goose IPA (assuming it's the same one from the Beer Store) is brewed in London. So it's fresh.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Cass wrote: It's mentioned in another thread but the Goose IPA (assuming it's the same one from the Beer Store) is brewed in London. So it's fresh.
I had actually heard Montreal from their reps, but that's only really three hours further afield.
saintjohnswort.ca

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

saints_gambit wrote:
Cass wrote: It's mentioned in another thread but the Goose IPA (assuming it's the same one from the Beer Store) is brewed in London. So it's fresh.
I had actually heard Montreal from their reps, but that's only really three hours further afield.
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have made that assumption. The label lists all of Labatt's brewery locations, so I just guessed London.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had the Goose IPA in a bottle over the weekend and like others have said, it didn't taste nearly as good as the draft version I had at a Jays game. It definitely didn't taste fresh, but I'm not ready to say that's the only difference. It was definitely worse than the usual local craft alternatives; I can't imagine buying any of these when fresh Thrust is on shelves. I think it will end up being that beer I have 4 of the two times a year I go to a Jays game.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I picked up a dozen Goose IPA from TBS last week and they all drank fine. Citrusy and piney, with a sturdy malt backbone to counter the hops. Nothing special, but fine, and definitely did not taste stale. Code on the box was D04 (Apr 4?), with an M in there somewhere so yes, this is likely from the Montreal brewery, and it's not terribly old.

Goose Island's IPA was never anything that remarkable to begin with. But well-made and serviceable? Yeah, sure. They've always marketed it as an English IPA. I'd take Thrust (or any of the other Tank Ten IPAs, or Headstock, or Smashbomb, or...) over Goose IPA too, but those are American IPAs, and I just typically prefer that flavour profile, which is not exactly uncommon. Closer comparisons would be beers like Dead Elephant, 10 Point, Hops & Robbers, etc., which are also 'English-style' but with North American influences. I'd take Goose IPA over those, all things (freshness) being equal.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Craig wrote: I had the Goose IPA in a bottle over the weekend and like others have said, it didn't taste nearly as good as the draft version I had at a Jays game. It definitely didn't taste fresh, but I'm not ready to say that's the only difference. It was definitely worse than the usual local craft alternatives; I can't imagine buying any of these when fresh Thrust is on shelves. I think it will end up being that beer I have 4 of the two times a year I go to a Jays game.
My thoughts as well after whittling down my half case with friends, and having another pint on Saturday (which was outstanding). Whether it's due to freshness, the two products being brewed in different facilities (?), or something else, the bottle and draft versions that are available here are like night and day, with the latter being far superior and almost drinking like an entirely different beer. The pint I had on Saturday was bright and fresh tasting with a big citric, floral and piney-leafy hop character and juicy-zesty mouthfeel – perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable. The bottles were as I described before with a flat/stale hop character, higher almost acrid bitterness, and slight vegetal note. There's some light citrus and pine notes, to be sure, but they're very muted compared to the draft version. I'm not exactly sure what the reasons for this discrepancy are, but I'll be sticking to the draft version and avoiding the bottles for the foreseeable future.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ahh, interesting....the Goose IPA mystery continues!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

El Pinguino wrote:Ahh, interesting....the Goose IPA mystery continues!
Very. We know with certainty where the bottles are coming from. Need to track down the source of that draught! Chicago or Montreal? You would think the stark difference between the two products noted by the posters above would suggest Chicago, but that doesn't make any sense logistically. If they're now bottling it for the Canadian market in Canada, presumably they are also kegging it at the same place.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Where is it on tap in Toronto? One look at a keg and we'd probably be able to tell its origin (maybe not which facility in Canada, but probably if it was from the States).

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Goose Island have a 1-800 number you can call to get information about their products. I tried that, but instead of connecting me to a customer service (or enthusiast or whatever thing they call their customer service people) it just disconnected me. I can't be bothered to call again.

I did send an e-mail though, so maybe they answer that.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I've seen it on tap at the Drake on queen recently but have yet to try it.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Both kegs and bottles under the same listing on the BS website, which says an ale brewed in Canada.

This could get awkward.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.