Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

ORVAL should start shipping to warehouses today and should hit stores in a week or so. $3.35 for 330ml. A few cases accidentally got out and were at the store in question although at a higher price.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:ORVAL should start shipping to warehouses today and should hit stores in a week or so. $3.35 for 330ml. A few cases accidentally got out and were at the store in question although at a higher price.
$3.35 is a steal for Orval, I believe most countries it's not sold at a price that you can session it affordably.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:
Blasphomet wrote: LOOOOOL at Sawdust City! LOL I say! Are they insane? LOL! Really just LOL at most of the OCB all day fucking long.
Unfortunately they're not insane - a bunch of idiots will buy it anyways, other brewers will take note, and beer prices will continue to rise. That's been the predominant trend for the last couple of years. You're right to balk at that price, but plenty of dude-bros, yuppies, and other "beer curious" types will buy it because they like the name and the look of the bright green can (or some other inane reason). I hate to be so negative but this has been happening for a while now and I don't see it stopping any time soon.
This. And Girl Pants did not knock my knickers a-kilter at first and only try, it was sweet and tedious going.

I think there could be a continued dichotomy developing between the glut of mediocre overpriced stuff which as you say people buy anyway, and the likewise increasing amount of far better, good value stuff for people who really know their beer. Both groups of drinkers should grow yes? And one might hope we reach a point of critical mass or a general shift in consciousness toward the better stuff, to some extent. Regardless I think just by the nature of the thing there'll always be weaklings to sort through. USA no different.
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

So, what I've garnered from the last couple of pages in this thread is that Girls Pants will be more expensive per ml than Orval.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

BakaGaijin wrote:So, what I've garnered from the last couple of pages in this thread is that Girls Pants will be more expensive per ml than Orval.

Kind of comedic but it doesn't shock me. Canadian micro brews have been out pricing themselves for years.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Remember that insightful comment a few pages back about the LCBO "suggesting" to craft beer producers that they would like to see products in certain premium price categories.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

napoleon wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new
PRINCESS WEARS GIRL PANTS
LCBO 419762 | 473 mL can
Price: $ 5.25
I wonder if that's a new highest price point for a tall boy can at the LCBO. I also wonder what this will taste like. I had two rather different versions of it on tap in the last year and change. One was meh and the most recent one was quite different and quite tasty.
Have never had this and wanted to try it....price be damned.

The guy stocking the shelves noticed I had picked it up and came over to me and said "just so you know, those are $5.25". He said something about there had been a listing for a 650 mL bottle and speculated that someone in head office screwed up.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
napoleon wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new
PRINCESS WEARS GIRL PANTS
LCBO 419762 | 473 mL can
Price: $ 5.25
I wonder if that's a new highest price point for a tall boy can at the LCBO. I also wonder what this will taste like. I had two rather different versions of it on tap in the last year and change. One was meh and the most recent one was quite different and quite tasty.
Have never had this and wanted to try it....price be damned.

The guy stocking the shelves noticed I had picked it up and came over to me and said "just so you know, those are $5.25". He said something about there had been a listing for a 650 mL bottle and speculated that someone in head office screwed up.
I was at the brewery on Saturday and they were $5.25 there as well (I'm fairly positive).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote: This. And Girl Pants did not knock my knickers a-kilter at first and only try, it was sweet and tedious going.

I think there could be a continued dichotomy developing between the glut of mediocre overpriced stuff which as you say people buy anyway, and the likewise increasing amount of far better, good value stuff for people who really know their beer. Both groups of drinkers should grow yes? And one might hope we reach a point of critical mass or a general shift in consciousness toward the better stuff, to some extent. Regardless I think just by the nature of the thing there'll always be weaklings to sort through. USA no different.
Agreed on all points except that 6-packs of outstanding beers (like most of the Sierra Nevada lineup) can still be had for $10 or less in the States, a key difference that can't be overlooked. But yes, weak and overpriced offerings can be found anywhere and are not unique to Ontario.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

cratez wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Agreed on all points except that 6-packs of outstanding beers (like most of the Sierra Nevada lineup) can still be had for $10 or less in the States, a key difference that can't be overlooked. But yes, weak and overpriced offerings can be found anywhere and are not unique to Ontario.
You're right. Having moved here from California there are definitely plenty of excellent beers at a lower price point. It is kind of funny. The one thing that is cheaper in Ontario is Belgian beers…in the US, they know they're premium products and are marked up even more. Or maybe it's the volume.

Anyway, that being said, the danger of pricing something like Girl Pants at $5.25 is that it's approaching what would be charged at say BarHop or the The Only Cafe. At that point, I might as well just enjoy it in a bar on tap. Definitely too expensive to "take a risk on" as well if you haven't tried it. I think this one's going to be sitting on the shelves a while.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

napoleon wrote:
cratez wrote:
Belgian wrote:
You're right. Having moved here from California there are definitely plenty of excellent beers at a lower price point. It is kind of funny. The one thing that is cheaper in Ontario is Belgian beers…in the US, they know they're premium products and are marked up even more. Or maybe it's the volume.

Anyway, that being said, the danger of pricing something like Girl Pants at $5.25 is that it's approaching what would be charged at say BarHop or the The Only Cafe. At that point, I might as well just enjoy it in a bar on tap. Definitely too expensive to "take a risk on" as well if you haven't tried it. I think this one's going to be sitting on the shelves a while.
Probably not. Long Dark Voyage to Uranus was priced at the same amount and it went very quickly. Also, I don't think that Girl Pants is as mediocre as you think it is.
saintjohnswort.ca

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

saints_gambit wrote: Probably not. Long Dark Voyage to Uranus was priced at the same amount and it went very quickly. Also, I don't think that Girl Pants is as mediocre as you think it is.
Should be interesting. I actually didn't say Girl Pants is mediocre. I've tried two distinctly different versions of it in this last year. One was indeed mediocre, but the more recent version was actually rather interesting. Not sure whether it's either of these versions or some different version that's in the can. The point is that this crosses some sort of mental limit in my head for how much I'm willing to spend on a tallboy of beer that I'm trying as an experiment. I have to say, I've certainly learned the hard way on some of the expensive 750's that have turned out to be pretty bad.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

napoleon wrote:
saints_gambit wrote: Probably not. Long Dark Voyage to Uranus was priced at the same amount and it went very quickly. Also, I don't think that Girl Pants is as mediocre as you think it is.
Should be interesting. I actually didn't say Girl Pants is mediocre. I've tried two distinctly different versions of it in this last year. One was indeed mediocre, but the more recent version was actually rather interesting. Not sure whether it's either of these versions or some different version that's in the can. The point is that this crosses some sort of mental limit in my head for how much I'm willing to spend on a tallboy of beer that I'm trying as an experiment. I have to say, I've certainly learned the hard way on some of the expensive 750's that have turned out to be pretty bad.
It's an interesting point. I think that I'd rather spend $5.25 for 500ml of beer I don't like than 11.95 for 750ml of beer I don't like. The tallboy really only lacks table presence, a quality which seems to cost about four dollars a bottle.
saintjohnswort.ca

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

saints_gambit wrote:
napoleon wrote:
It's an interesting point. I think that I'd rather spend $5.25 for 500ml of beer I don't like than 11.95 for 750ml of beer I don't like. The tallboy really only lacks table presence, a quality which seems to cost about four dollars a bottle.
I always wonder where the push to use 650+ comes from - I just don't find them to be a logical format (esp. for your more standard offerings). Is it a profitability thing? Marketing? Encouraged by the LCBO?

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

napoleon wrote:
There is a wine barrel aged version called Princess meets the ODB which is indeed significantly different. That might have been the two versions you tried?