Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

MACLEANS INDIA PALE ALE
LCBO 419804 | 500 mL bottle
$3.85

WELLINGTON TERRESTRIAL INDIA BROWN ALE
LCBO 419028 | 750 mL bottle
$7.95

KROMBACHER RADLER
LCBO 418608 | 500 mL can
$2.35

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Craig wrote:Goose Island have a 1-800 number you can call to get information about their products. I tried that, but instead of connecting me to a customer service (or enthusiast or whatever thing they call their customer service people) it just disconnected me. I can't be bothered to call again.

I did send an e-mail though, so maybe they answer that.
Finally got an answer. I asked (repeatedly) specifically which facilities the kegs were made in and which facilities the bottles were made in. This was the response:
I wanted to let you know that all Goose Island beers are brewed in Chicago at the Fulton Street Brewery. They are also brewed in Baldwinsville, NY; Fort Collins, CO; and Montreal, Quebec.

In addition, all of our beers that are brewed in Canada are made the exact same way as Goose Island brewed in the US – we follow the same recipe with the same quality ingredients to ensure the same great brew. To brew Goose Island in Montreal, the brewery underwent a thorough accreditation process. Goose Island’s brewmaster Jared Jankoski, and the Goose Island team continue to work closely with Montreal’s brewmaster to ensure that the Goose Island beer brewed in Canada meets the same taste, flavor profile and exacting standards of Goose Island brewed in the US.
Meh, I don't know what I expected.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:
I wanted to let you know that all Goose Island beers are brewed in Chicago at the Fulton Street Brewery. They are also brewed in Baldwinsville, NY; Fort Collins, CO; and Montreal, Quebec.

In addition, all of our beers that are brewed in Canada are made the exact same way as Goose Island brewed in the US – we follow the same recipe with the same quality ingredients to ensure the same great brew. To brew Goose Island in Montreal, the brewery underwent a thorough accreditation process. Goose Island’s brewmaster Jared Jankoski, and the Goose Island team continue to work closely with Montreal’s brewmaster to ensure that the Goose Island beer brewed in Canada meets the same taste, flavor profile and exacting standards of Goose Island brewed in the US.
Meh, I don't know what I expected.
I had been sort of expecting the 'first batch curse' to set in, where after a brilliant launch of Goose IPA the price creeps up and the flavor lapses into mediocrity. Even some macros were pretty good when they were first released (properly aged for example, then they rush the process later.)

I am beyond impressed if this never happens, and Goose IPA remains as good as ever. That's a beer my friends even like!!
In Beerum Veritas

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

alsiem wrote:I'm checking everyday for the Orval.

As to Oast House pricing, I think their location in wine country is the cause of their pricing. If you have been driving around buying $20 bottles of wine, then $8 bombers may not seem expensive. I found Silversmith to be similar in pricing. Also, I think they are doing a decent restaurant trade for people that want to drink local products and will pay a premium for a Niagara experience.

However, removed from that context I don't know why I would pay $11 for a Saison when Dupont is $8. Good luck.
Yeah, that's been my point on oast for a while. They don't care about being a great contributor to the craft beer scene in ontario and are happy to fleece wine tourists who may not have any idea what the average 750ml beer costs, so they know they can get away with overcharging for their products. They probably don't realize (or maybe don't care) that they have alienated a growing number of their local craft beer enthusiasts with their pricing who would've supported them.

Silversmith's pricing is actually more in line with the rest of ontario, they just brew very middle of the road, safe versions of styles that are not worth the premium that you pay for buying any craft beer product.

My fingers are crossed that this new exchange brewery in NOTL will be great. Their plan of focusing on sours sounds promising, but their pricey location and track record of the rest of niagara breweries doesn't have me holding my breath and scares me that they might be another brewery trying to make a quick buck on the craft beer craze. I really hope I'm wrong because I would love nothing more than to have a brewery in my area that I could make a monthly run to for fresh ipas and interesting sours rather than going to the states all the time.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Good news guys, found some Jacobins :lol:

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Fresh Pilsner Urquell (mid April)
Fresh Czechvar (March 31)
Fresh Weihenstepaner Hefeweissbier (mid April)

at Bayview Village LCBO

edit: "Freshish"

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

wow, really unimpressed with the jacobins

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Can we keep beer reviews in the beer reviews sub forum? Sorry to be that guy.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

jeremyg wrote:wow, really unimpressed with the jacobins
Really? I'm curious what you didn't like. I rather enjoy it and the price point is great. If Bellwood's released a Flanders Red it would be more than twice as expensive per ml. That is not a shot at Bellwood's, just a fact that illustrates it is good value IMO.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Really? I'm curious what you didn't like. I rather enjoy it and the price point is great. If Bellwood's released a Flanders Red it would be more than twice as expensive per ml. That is not a shot at Bellwood's, just a fact that illustrates it is good value IMO.

I was impressed with it this time around. Some interesting facts:

Although most Flanders Reds are pasteurized and made using mixed fermentation. According to Bockor's website, the Jacobins is made through 100% spontaneous fermentation. Strangely, they refer to the beer as Lambic style, and the Cuvee des Jacobins is the pure old beer they blend with young to make their Geueze. While the beer is obviously filtered, nothing on the site indicates that it is pasteurized. It might still have some bugs, so I would guess that it might actually develop in the bottle.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So, the Death Valley sucked. Just that cloying, syrupy sweetness that I hate in my IPA or Double IPAs.

Gave the second half of the bottle to my girlfriend and she thought it was aiight.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

BakaGaijin wrote:
i fully realize i'm completely in the minority on this but the finish/aftertaste didn't jive with me. almost candy-like. sugary?

anyways i bought 4 bottles so i'm going to try another one and age the other 2

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Westmalle Tripel arrived in May at the warehouse!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

Forked River Mojo Citra Rhubarb Wheat Ale
LCBO#: 424184 | 500 mL bottle

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Forked River are doing some interesting beers. They haven't hit that home run yet, for me, but I suspect it's only a matter of time. I'm assuming that's an American wheat, hopped with Citra, with rhubarb added? I'll have to give that one a try.