Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

yeah that sounds really interesting

haven't had a forked river brew that's blown me away but they've all been pretty solid

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I have been meaning to take a trip up the 402 to London to visit Forked River again - mostly because of Mojo's availability there (although they also have a tripel out at the moment that I'd like to try). But I've been putting it off because I've been waiting for Orval to roll out, and I know London is the only place near me that is likely to get any. Did I completely miss it, or is Orval still in the usual warehouse limbo (bar the Pickering incident)?

Anyway, good to see that Mojo's coming to the LCBO - according to their bookface, first available around London, and then to a few areas beyond, as well.

They do make some solid beers. I was not a big fan of Riptide Rye, but it won a medal so what the hell do I know. Different strokes, I suppose. Weendigo also did very well for itself at the awards, so I'm looking forward to opening the bottle in my cellar, some time later this year. The rest of the FR stuff I've tried (besides Riptide) has been pretty consistently fair-to-good, though. They had a dubbel out recently that was actually pretty nice, and I don't even really like dubbels all that much.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

But I've been putting it off because I've been waiting for Orval to roll out, and I know London is the only place near me that is likely to get any. Did I completely miss it, or is Orval still in the usual warehouse limbo (bar the Pickering incident)?
I've been doing spot inspections of likely stores and no Orval. Seems like the website is correct at the time of writing.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Looks like Ottawa gets all the pies. 698 bottles of Orval showing for Rideau St.

I'm assuming that there are probably stores in the GTA that have stock. Please share if you know of one.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Ottawa doesn't even really need the orval, it's available 10minutes away at the SAQ in hull
alsiem wrote:Looks like Ottawa gets all the pies. 698 bottles of Orval showing for Rideau St.

I'm assuming that there are probably stores in the GTA that have stock. Please share if you know of one.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Don't suppose anyone has seen Three Eyed Raven (most recent Game of Thrones beer) yet? I can't even find an LCBO listing for it, but Horizon told me it should be in stores any day
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

PatchesPal

Post by PatchesPal »

alsiem wrote:Looks like Ottawa gets all the pies. 698 bottles of Orval showing for Rideau St.

Is this a new batch of Orval? If so, isn't it likely that stores other than the two listed just haven't been assigned their stock?

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

PatchesPal wrote:Is this a new batch of Orval? If so, isn't it likely that stores other than the two listed just haven't been assigned their stock?
Yep, that's a safe assumption. Hopefully they start rolling out over the weekend, but given past experiences I wouldn't bet money on it. Early-mid next week is more likely.

Either way, looks like I'll need to take a trip to London some time soon. I'll be damned if I miss out on another Orval release.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

relisted in a new size:

AFFLIGEM BLONDE ABBEY ALE
LCBO 379305 | 300 mL bottle
Price $ 2.75

The 2015 edition:

DUVEL TRIPLE HOP
LCBO 420372 | 4x330 mL bottle
Price: $ 14.35

This is back - not sure if it's the same as before:

P49 - UNPARALLELED 6 MIX PACK
LCBO 415315 | 6x341 mL bottle
Price $ 13.75

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS:

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery - 12 Minutes To Destiny
Red Racer - Copper Ale

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Orval is gradually trickling out to the rest of the province at a glacial pace. If you live in Windsor you're in luck, for once.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

darmokandjalad wrote:Orval is gradually trickling out to the rest of the province at a glacial pace. If you live in Windsor you're in luck, for once.
Brought home my case today after a tense moment. I had placed a special order about 2 weeks ago but when I arrived today to claim my case the CSR's couldn't locate it, politely but incompetently brushing me off with that "gee, I don't know what could have happened" schtick. :roll: Anyway, long story short, the manager had just finished stocking the beer fridge with MY Orval. Apparently no one had thought to reserve that case for me. Moral of the story: plead that they mark special orders with your name in huge black marker pen and follow-up and hound them on your orders.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I believe I saw a new batch of sierra roll out recently. Date on the back was mid sept.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Bunch of Orval in Toronto now. Go get it boys and girls!

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

This batch of Orval was bottled Jan 2015.

I returned 5 bottles of Orval dated June 27 2013 to the Brock/HWY2 LCBO in Pickering. They were cellared by me in the dark at 55f. I just like the 6 month Orva more.