Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere but WESTMALLE TRIPEL (#676577 $3.35 330ml) is hitting store shelves now so get it while you can at this great price.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I spotted the new Red Racer Reign of Hops 12-pack at the Liberty Village TBS. The Pale and ISA were brewed in February and the IPA was brewed in early March. Needless to say, I passed.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

cratez wrote:I spotted the new Red Racer Reign of Hops 12-pack at the Liberty Village TBS. The Pale and ISA were brewed in February and the IPA was brewed in early March. Needless to say, I passed.
WTF! Does Central City not care about their product? Yay for stale, intended to be hoppy, product. :x

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

mahcinesquad wrote:
cratez wrote:I spotted the new Red Racer Reign of Hops 12-pack at the Liberty Village TBS. The Pale and ISA were brewed in February and the IPA was brewed in early March. Needless to say, I passed.
WTF! Does Central City not care about their product? Yay for stale, intended to be hoppy, product. :x
I'm sure this is out of Central City's hands, probably got warehouse aged from mid-March until now while it went through testing.

Just be glad that the LCBO is protecting us from all that dangerous fresh beer, we might end up liking it too much and consume irresponsibly... /s
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I saw some Red Racer the other day and it was from late June I believe. Freshest I've seen of it in a long long time. Didn't buy though. To pumped on the extremely fresh, days old Naughty Neighbour and Headstock that seem to be constantly pumped in to the Aurora LCBO. Nickel Brook knocking it out of the park lately. :D

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Blasphomet wrote:Nickel Brook knocking it out of the park lately. :D
+1 I've been consistently finding very fresh Headstock all over Toronto since May. It's very hard to turn down.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

deepeary wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Nickel Brook knocking it out of the park lately. :D
+1 I've been consistently finding very fresh Headstock all over Toronto since May. It's very hard to turn down.
yep, great replacement level IPA. with the US dollar where it is and the days old availability of this i've been buying more and more of this as an everyday drinker rather than going to the states. one of the only bright spots in the ontario craft beer scene for those that don't live in toronto.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I picked it up but wasn't thinking clearly enough to check the date (though to be fair it only ended in front of me after I'd paid). Still very good compared to almost every other option in TBS, but obviously old.

I find it sad that clicking on the link you have above describes the pack as: "I'm a lager brewed in Canada". I would expect employees of any company to at least know a little about the product they're selling.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Blasphomet wrote:I saw some Red Racer the other day and it was from late June I believe. Freshest I've seen of it in a long long time. Didn't buy though. To pumped on the extremely fresh, days old Naughty Neighbour and Headstock that seem to be constantly pumped in to the Aurora LCBO. Nickel Brook knocking it out of the park lately. :D
100% agree. Naughty Neighbour is fantastic and so fresh. Why can't it always be like this?

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

not quite a new beer, but bombers of "G0915" (bottled july 9?) cameron's RPA are on the shelves at the clarkson LCBO and everywhere else i'm guessing

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Bobsy wrote:
I picked it up but wasn't thinking clearly enough to check the date (though to be fair it only ended in front of me after I'd paid). Still very good compared to almost every other option in TBS, but obviously old.

I find it sad that clicking on the link you have above describes the pack as: "I'm a lager brewed in Canada". I would expect employees of any company to at least know a little about the product they're selling.
have you read the signage in the beer store lately?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cratez gotta say I've a bias against combo-packs, always suspecting a compromise of time delays to brew, warehouse and specially package together various beers.

Not as much of a problem (?) with something like Ommegang Belgian ales, but pales and IPA's I'm gonna pass right by, whether that's good sense or conjecture.
In Beerum Veritas

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

jeremyg wrote: have you read the signage in the beer store lately?
Kind of a tangent, but here's something that mildly amused me from their website.

They list four 'types' of beer, the last of which is just called 'Malts'. The description they give - "Generally dark and sweeter in flavour, malts contain hints of caramel, toffee, and nuts. They can be light to full bodied." - makes me wonder if they are describing a brown ale or something.

Clicking the list of 'malts' that they have on offer helps with the confusion, because you finally realize that they are talking about malternatives (e.g. malt liquors and those diabetic-nightmare-a-rita things). Oddly enough, Wellington's Iron Duke is also lumped into this category, making it the only product listed that even begins to meet their outlined prereqs of a 'malt'.

I'm just glad that they don't even bother mentioning lambics or sours anymore. Their old website included those, even though they don't actually sell them, which in my books basically amounts to corporate trolling.

That being said, thebeerstore.com is still better than the LCBO's current site, sadly enough.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

darmokandjad wrote: They list four 'types' of beer, the last of which is just called 'Malts'. ... you finally realize that they are talking about malternatives (e.g. malt liquors and those diabetic-nightmare-a-rita things). Oddly enough, Wellington's Iron Duke is also lumped into this category, making it the only product listed that even begins to meet their outlined prereqs of a 'malt'.

I'm just glad that they don't even bother mentioning lambics or sours anymore. Their old website included those, even though they don't actually sell them, which in my books basically amounts to corporate trolling.
I LOLd thanks for that. 'Corporate Trolling' is apropos, except 'Sours' was probably included by mistake and as part of some casual research they did among beer styles one day. My cat knows more about beer styles than The Beer Store does. The BS actually expects nearly all people to show up and buy the worst, common-denominator yellow fizz without knowing SF all more than TBS do. No real website required? Educating their target market works against them, it doesn't streamline and maximize their profit flow with minimal effort.

Thanks for the digression. 8)
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

PINK FUZZ
Canada | Vina Requingua (BTP?)
LCBO 421412 | 473 mL | $ 3.00

SLEEPING GIANT ALE 360
Canada | Sleeping Giant Brewing Company
LCBO 420414 | 473 mL | $ 2.85