Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerhaver

Post by beerhaver »

New at The Beer Store:
Molson Canadian 67 IPA
Brewer: Molson
Alcohol Content (ABV): 3.0%
Molson Canadian 67 Session IPA delivers a fruity hop taste and citrus aroma to our premium light beer. It is dry hopped with Mosaic and Sorachi Ace hops to create a flavourful and refreshing taste.
$2.35 / 473ml
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/molson-canadian-67-ipa

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Ummm.... Thanks ^

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Just a note that IMO, the current shipment of Smuttynose Finestkind has 'Arrived in India'...and waiting testing by the Indian equivalent of the LCBO.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

beerhaver wrote:New at The Beer Store:
Molson Canadian 67 IPA
Brewer: Molson
Alcohol Content (ABV): 3.0%
Molson Canadian 67 Session IPA delivers a fruity hop taste and citrus aroma to our premium light beer. It is dry hopped with Mosaic and Sorachi Ace hops to create a flavourful and refreshing taste.
$2.35 / 473ml
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/molson-canadian-67-ipa
What a strange concoction.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

SKiB wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Lake Effect cans now listed under #445577, no stock showing...
FYI I picked up a few cans yesterday at the Gammage St. store here in London... apparently they received them over a week ago but were unable to get them out onto the floor until a product listing was created which was apparently done yesterday... I imagine there are many other stores out there with it now in stock...
Yep, I picked some up this afternoon at the Eglinton & Laird LCBO in Leaside, LCBO website seems to be showing stock for multiple locations now too. I must add it's mighty fresh and delicious right now.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

seangm wrote:
SKiB wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Lake Effect cans now listed under #445577, no stock showing...
FYI I picked up a few cans yesterday at the Gammage St. store here in London... apparently they received them over a week ago but were unable to get them out onto the floor until a product listing was created which was apparently done yesterday... I imagine there are many other stores out there with it now in stock...
Yep, I picked some up this afternoon at the Eglinton & Laird LCBO in Leaside, LCBO website seems to be showing stock for multiple locations now too. I must add it's mighty fresh and delicious right now.

I don't know, I got a few cans the other day and, although good, they taste nothing like the Lake Effect I've had on tap recently. They had none of the distinct, floral, Lake Effect hop zazz and were kind of bland tasting, really. I figured they were old and dying (as GLB IPA's tend to do quickly) but the canning date was november 23rd.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

I'm finding the Lake Effect very bitter, almost burnt rubber bitter and metallic. The tropical fruit is there, but in a sour rocket jolly rancher kind of way. Not impressed.

I had a bottle of Liberty Ale dated Oct 2016 a couple hours later and found it more enjoyable. Maybe I'm crazy.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Bastard box showing stock on drinkvine. There were about 15 boxes left at Summerhill at around noon, as far as I could tell

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

AugustusRex wrote:I'm finding the Lake Effect very bitter, almost burnt rubber bitter and metallic. The tropical fruit is there, but in a sour rocket jolly rancher kind of way. Not impressed. Maybe I'm crazy.
Nope, not crazy. I'm totally with you. Found it rather underwhelming last night when I tried it. Lots of bitter flavors and funk in a not nice way. Nothing floral at all from the hops. I'll skip buying more.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I think at this point it's safe to say that quality varies so widely in Ontario - mainly due to how the LCBO and TBS handle and store beer - that it's difficult to make a confident recommendation nowadays. I've been buying Lake Effect directly from the GLB retail store, and grabbed the first batch of Finest Kind that arrived at TBS a few weeks ago, and both have been drinking excellent IMO. But it's clear that doesn't mean either will be drinking well in another city or perhaps even another neighbourhood, depending on how the beer's been stored/handled at a particular location or how long it sat in a warehouse before arriving there (or both).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mattg

Post by mattg »

My Lake Effect cans have a 12/04/15 canning date on them, I think. Will try one tonight.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Bought some more Lake Effect from the lcbo yesterday and find it tastes the same as the ones I bought from great lakes direct a couple weeks ago, 11/23/15 canned on date for these ones. one thing i've noticed is that their beers (maybe everyones) get better after a few weeks in the can. i've found that with nicklebrook and great lakes at least.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

cratez wrote:I think at this point it's safe to say that quality varies so widely in Ontario - mainly due to how the LCBO and TBS handle and store beer - that it's difficult to make a confident recommendation nowadays. I've been buying Lake Effect directly from the GLB retail store, and grabbed the first batch of Finest Kind arrived at TBS a few weeks ago, and both have been drinking excellent IMO. But it's clear that doesn't mean either will be drinking well in another city or perhaps even another neighbourhood, depending on how the beer's been stored/handled at a particular location or how long it sat in a warehouse before arriving there (or both).
Excellent point

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

AugustusRex wrote:I'm finding the Lake Effect very bitter, almost burnt rubber bitter and metallic. The tropical fruit is there, but in a sour rocket jolly rancher kind of way. Not impressed.

I had a bottle of Liberty Ale dated Oct 2016 a couple hours later and found it more enjoyable. Maybe I'm crazy.

I've really been looking forward to grabbing some cans.....hopefully not all are tasting this way

mattg

Post by mattg »

The cans I got are drinking amazingly well, IMHO. Very similar to the pints I've had on tap.