Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Lukie wrote:How long has TBS had the Smuttynose Finestkind? Just spotted today, when getting a bunch of Delerium.
I first got it on November 14, at Donlands-O'Connor.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

TwoPint wrote:
Lukie wrote:How long has TBS had the Smuttynose Finestkind? Just spotted today, when getting a bunch of Delerium.

Haha, that explains a bit staleness from the hops I just had. My bottles are marked to expire on March 9. Wish I knew about it beforehand. Still beats many fresher IPAs at the BO, even in it's current state.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Lukie wrote:
TwoPint wrote:

Haha, that explains a bit staleness from the hops I just had. My bottles are marked to expire on March 9. Wish I knew about it beforehand. Still beats many fresher IPAs at the BO, even in it's current state.
Just experienced some rather stale Smuttynose. This is a best consumed fresh IPA.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Lukie wrote:
TwoPint wrote:
Just experienced some rather stale Smuttynose. This is a best consumed fresh IPA.

So if my bottle states the best before date as March 9, 2016, when was it made?

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

If it was in TBS in November 2015. probably 6 month rule so Sept 9, 2015?

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Ukie wrote:If it was in TBS in November 2015. probably 6 month rule so Sept 9, 2015?

Ouch. Now I know one of the reasons why some breweries refuse to put the brew date.

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

I bought a case of Smutty Nose last week, best before is July 19th.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

cattersley wrote:I bought a case of Smutty Nose last week, best before is July 19th.

Which TBS did you get it from? And what does it taste like in your opinion?

From the BBD of March 9th of mine, it was quite smooth and good but I got a significant amount of stale hops (kind of like very old candy) on the after taste, that's never really a welcoming sensation for me.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Lukie wrote:
cattersley wrote:I bought a case of Smutty Nose last week, best before is July 19th.

From the BBD of March 9th of mine, it was quite smooth and good but I got a significant amount of stale hops (kind of like very old candy) on the after taste, that's never really a welcoming sensation for me.
i just bought a 6pack from the Laird location. Ahh, the Beer Store. i walk into their cooler room. and it's about 20 C in there. in the walk-in cooler. asked the girl and she said "yeah, it can't keep the room cold because it's so cold outside." got it.
my Smuttynose had a July BB dates.
tried one tonight.
Hops totally muted. doesn't pop.
it's good but it's not an award-winning IPA and, frankly, not sure why one would buy it when GLB's pumping out fresh, great IPAs
TwoPint wrote: I first got it on November 14, at Donlands-O'Connor.
woah. my local Beer Store.
i totally am at that one all the time...to return my empties.
probably one of the more blech Beer Stores out there. just full of professional bottle returners.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

atomeyes wrote:
Lukie wrote:

i just bought a 6pack from the Laird location. Ahh, the Beer Store. i walk into their cooler room. and it's about 20 C in there. in the walk-in cooler. asked the girl and she said "yeah, it can't keep the room cold because it's so cold outside." got it.
my Smuttynose had a July BB dates.
tried one tonight.
Hops totally muted. doesn't pop.
it's good but it's not an award-winning IPA and, frankly, not sure why one would buy it when GLB's pumping out fresh, great IPAs
TwoPint wrote: I first got it on November 14, at Donlands-O'Connor.
woah. my local Beer Store.
i totally am at that one all the time...to return my empties.
probably one of the more blech Beer Stores out there. just full of professional bottle returners.

I hear ya. My Headstock is tasting awfully good tonight. But it's still just a one dimensional - albeit intoxicating - brew compared with the Trois Pistoles I had right after.

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

It was the Beer Store in central Oshawa off of Adelaide.

I originally bought a 6-pack the weekend before, it was great, so I went back and bought a case.

I also picked up Lagunitas IPA at the LCBO last night, I will try that on the weekend. I have had 4 others from Lagunitas and have never been disappointed.

There are some great Micro's in my area; 5 Paddles, Manantler that pump out some great IPA's I just wish Ontario breweries would focus more on 4-6-packs then the more expensive high ml bombers.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Couple new Goose Island listings at TBS, unless I missed a previous post.

Goose Island Endless IPA says Limited Edition
Goose Island Mixer Pack

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Ukie wrote:Couple new Goose Island listings at TBS, unless I missed a previous post.

Goose Island Mixer Pack
neither are items anyone should get excited about, but the trend we're seeing (i.e. more Goose Island beer in Ontario) makes me pretty confident we'll start to get the fun stuff released (in small qtys) here real soon

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Ukie wrote:Couple new Goose Island listings at TBS, unless I missed a previous post.
Goose Island Mixer Pack
Both products are now showing stock in Toronto-area Beer Stores. No description of what the Mixer Pack includes on the TBS website, which is unfortunate given that GI sells many different mix packs. I'm also wondering whether the Endless IPA is now a Canada-only release, as there's no mention of it on the master beer list on their website.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

MattS

Post by MattS »

cratez wrote: Both products are now showing stock in Toronto-area Beer Stores. No description of what the Mixer Pack includes on the TBS website, which is unfortunate given that GI sells many different mix packs. I'm also wondering whether the Endless IPA is now a Canada-only release, as there's no mention of it on the master beer list on their website.
I did some searching, and all I could find out is that there is a similarly named mixpack out in SK that is 4 IPA, 4 Honkers and 4 Endless IPA. As those are all here anyway (and brewed in Ontario), I'd guess that's what ours is too.