Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Pub Style wrote:And a quick follow up from our earlier post today.

We weren't lying when we said we were continuing to find solutions... :D

The brewery will continue to tweak as needed.

And, just to confirm, the date on the cans (and cans out there in the market) references the PACKAGED ON date.

That looks great!
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

And, just to confirm, the date on the cans (and cans out there in the market) references the PACKAGED ON date.

I applaud you and the team's move to correct this issue. Looking forward to buying Canuck and the others again.

While I don't need my IPAs to be less than 10days old, if I can't read a date it may as well be 10 months old.

Hendextall

Post by Hendextall »

I picked up some cans of Octopus on Sunday here in London. Most of the dates were illegible, but one looked to read March 21.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

yeah, I had trouble reading the octopus dates... but, it's moving so quickly It's pretty much guaranteed to be fresh if you find one!
pro tip: if the cans are still in the case - they stamp the cases with the date as well.

and, really enjoying this tank ten release - the beer itself as well as the fact that it's in a can and not a bomber.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Given the context, I know what date is being expressed, but if I found this on a shelf sometime in June, I wouldn't know if it was April 5 or May 4. Suggest you use the format yyyy-mm-dd

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

S. St. Jeb wrote:

Given the context, I know what date is being expressed, but if I found this on a shelf sometime in June, I wouldn't know if it was April 5 or May 4. Suggest you use the format yyyy-mm-dd
Or May 16, 2004...

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Had last of stock of Octopus from Spadina/Dundas today, date was so blurry it was illegible as heck but OMG tasted fresh. Worth a grab if anyone can find some.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I guess its not mandatory for beer, but ya...the official packed-on and best by formatting is YYMMDD in Canada, with the MM actually being 2 letters so as to avoid any confusion at all.

But ya, compared to my Octopus cans, that looks great...

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Picked up a few Headstocks in Niagara Falls today with a 04/06/16 brew date. Also noticed they've changed the colors a bit on the can again. It's a darker tone now.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

CoolB wrote:Picked up a few Headstocks in Niagara Falls today with a 04/06/16 brew date. Also noticed they've changed the colors a bit on the can again. It's a darker tone now.
I assume you meant 'canning' date?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

new at TBS

Clocktower Kolsch in 473 ml cans

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Masterplan wrote:
CoolB wrote:Picked up a few Headstocks in Niagara Falls today with a 04/06/16 brew date. Also noticed they've changed the colors a bit on the can again. It's a darker tone now.
Yes sir. Although it'd be nice if it was brewed 2 days ago.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

CoolB wrote:
Masterplan wrote:
as someone who drinks 2 day old beer weekly I can assure you that you dont want to drink 2 day old beer. it tastes a lot better when its fermented out, dry hopped and packaged IMO

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

as someone who drinks 2 day old beer weekly I can assure you that you dont want to drink 2 day old beer. it tastes a lot better when its fermented out, dry hopped and packaged IMO
LOL this is "literally" getting outta control

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Carbonation is a nice touch too.