Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

while we're on the topic of value and price per mL, i'm working on something with the guy who does the lcbo beer watch twitter that is a value ranking of all available lcbo beers and ciders, the formula includes price per standard serving, ABV and RB/BA/Untappd ratings. it will be the same kind of thing as Steve's wine value top 50 on winealign.com. he will be adding the value rankings as an upcoming feature on his lcbo inventory website

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

New format

Grand River Brewing Russian Gun Imperial Stout
LCBO#: 488072 | 473 mL can

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

spinrsx wrote:New format

Grand River Brewing Russian Gun Imperial Stout
LCBO#: 488072 | 473 mL can
That's a nice price. It used to be $4.50 for 500 ml bottle of the same juice. Russian Gun ($0.0069/ml) and Wellington RIS (0.0073/ml) own the value stout category. Although I do prefer the more expensive offerings.

portwood

Post by portwood »

seangm wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new - $6..

I'm going to miss the $9.95 4/packs of this stuff..

Nickel Brook Bolshevic Bastard
LCBO#: 487702 | 473 mL can
$4.50
This is certainly disappointing, that's an increase from $0.73/100 ml to $0.95/100 ml. It's especially disappointing since cans are cheaper than bottles to transport, and as singles there's no 4-pack carton either. Admittedly $9.95 for the 4-pack was a pretty good deal for an RIS, but this increase seems excessive.
Agree about the higher price sucking but to me the biggest disappointment is going from 355 to 473 size. I may be in the minority but I DESPISE the "tall boys" for anything higher than 5% baseball-game-knockback-beers.

Though I like the Bolshevik Bastard, I'll pass on the cans - too many other great options on the shelf/coming soon.

Love buying beer in the USA where there are so many options for high quality beer in the 355 ml format. Just picked up some G'Knight. No problem with a 4-pack of this but I balk at buying more than a couple of tall boys of anything (Karma Citra for example)
@markhamwhisky

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

CoolB wrote:TBH I'm drooling at the thought of a glass of Winey Bastard.
Gonna be another 3 months I'm afraid.

And for those that haven't heard, Kentucky is 14.5% this year. I haven't had it yet but damn, that's a big beer. Wild guess that it's pretty hot right now.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:And for those that haven't heard, Kentucky is 14.5% this year. I haven't had it yet but damn, that's a big beer. Wild guess that it's pretty hot right now.
Holy sh*t Batman, that's like a 45% increase in ABV from the last release! Are you trying to kill us LOL.

Cellar candidate. Since we have all the time in the world to put things in our basements and wait for them to taste 'just so...' I can't wait dood.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

portwood wrote:
seangm wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new - $6..

I'm going to miss the $9.95 4/packs of this stuff..

Nickel Brook Bolshevic Bastard
LCBO#: 487702 | 473 mL can
$4.50
This is certainly disappointing, that's an increase from $0.73/100 ml to $0.95/100 ml. It's especially disappointing since cans are cheaper than bottles to transport, and as singles there's no 4-pack carton either. Admittedly $9.95 for the 4-pack was a pretty good deal for an RIS, but this increase seems excessive.
Agree about the higher price sucking but to me the biggest disappointment is going from 355 to 473 size. I may be in the minority but I DESPISE the "tall boys" for anything higher than 5% baseball-game-knockback-beers.

Though I like the Bolshevik Bastard, I'll pass on the cans - too many other great options on the shelf/coming soon.

Love buying beer in the USA where there are so many options for high quality beer in the 355 ml format. Just picked up some G'Knight. No problem with a 4-pack of this but I balk at buying more than a couple of tall boys of anything (Karma Citra for example)
Completely agreed on that front, I really wish we had more 355 ml cans here- does anyone in Ontario apart from Steamwhistle even pack in this format? 341-355 ml of high ABV beer is just right, whereas tall boys of imperial stouts and IIPAs are a bit much, I just picked up the 4 pack of G'Knight and really feel that's the optimal format for that kind of beer. Regarding Bolshevik, even if the price had to increase (I agree, $9.95 was too good to be true), I wish it was still in a 4 x 341 format for a few bucks more.

skootles

Post by skootles »

nelson wrote:Actually I was at Indie ale house last week and ended up leaving without buying anything because they wanted $18 - $20 for a 750ml bottle for the ones that looked interesting to me. On top of that, they couldn't even give me a sample of most of them.
Yeah, I got the Sunkicked Orange Wit when it came out almost a year ago and it was $15. This time around they want $20 for it. It was a good beer but I just don't think it's worth it at that price.

SKiB

Post by SKiB »

I noticed the other day that there seems to be a fresh shipment of Fat Tug IPA and that they've started using a best before date rather than a bottling date. This batch has a best before date of April 2017 so I'm not sure when it was bottled. October might seem like a reasonable assumption as that would give it a 6 month shelf life. Either way I picked up a bottle and look forward to getting into it this weekend as I haven't seen any bottling dates fresher than April or May in quite some time now.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Yeah I haven't bought any in ages, as May was the freshest I had seen. I'm not a fan of the "best before" date stamp bout since it's a bit of a guessing game about brew date.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale
LCBO#: 482067 | 4 x 355 mL can
$8.55

nelson

Post by nelson »

seangm wrote:
Completely agreed on that front, I really wish we had more 355 ml cans here- does anyone in Ontario apart from Steamwhistle even pack in this format?
Tooth and Nail in Ottawa sells 355ml cans out of the brewpub, it's great. I was surprised when I saw it but enjoyed them.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

nelson wrote:
seangm wrote:
Completely agreed on that front, I really wish we had more 355 ml cans here- does anyone in Ontario apart from Steamwhistle even pack in this format?
Tooth and Nail in Ottawa sells 355ml cans out of the brewpub, it's great. I was surprised when I saw it but enjoyed them.
All of my glasses are big enough for a king can. It' just wouldn't look right pouring a 355ml in there lol.

I recently bought a 6 of Nugget Nectar across the border in 355's and it felt odd having such a small can again but to be honest I'd like to see more 355's for the high abv beers.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale
LCBO#: 482067 | 4 x 355 mL can
$8.55[/quote]

YUM!!!! Looking forward to this and I hope it stays at the LCBO. Great price too

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

SKiB wrote:I noticed the other day that there seems to be a fresh shipment of Fat Tug IPA and that they've started using a best before date rather than a bottling date. This batch has a best before date of April 2017 so I'm not sure when it was bottled. October might seem like a reasonable assumption as that would give it a 6 month shelf life. Either way I picked up a bottle and look forward to getting into it this weekend as I haven't seen any bottling dates fresher than April or May in quite some time now.

What store did you pick this up at as I love that beer but I have noticed most BC beer is really dated in the lcbo as I still see Red Racer from April / May dates!!