Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

5 utopias at Summerhill?

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Masterplan wrote:5 utopias at Summerhill?
Not sure the quantity but last week the beer guy at Summerhill did mention to me he had some available...

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Dieu Du Ciel! Aphrodite is showing stock in some LCBOs.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

Mill Street Illuminari (typo?)
LCBO#: 489617 | 750 mL bottle
$13.85

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

spinrsx wrote:new:

$13.85
Another 750? They really seem to have a hard-on for large format bottles lately.

I'm a compulsive ticker, but even I have my limits. Their Lune de Sang and Imperial Ginger Cat were both underwhelming, and they were at least 4-5 bucks cheaper (and still overpriced IMO). Sorry Mill Street, but you're definitely not Goose Island, at least not yet, and nothing you have ever brewed is worth 14 bucks a bottle.

portwood

Post by portwood »

darmokandjalad wrote:

$13.85
Another 750? They really seem to have a hard-on for large format bottles lately.

I'm a compulsive ticker, but even I have my limits.
Same here. Not a fan of large formats
I'll buy one 500-750ml of a beer I've never tried before* but unlikely to buy a second unless its a world class brew that cellars well.

OTOH, I have no problem buying multiples of 330-350ml bottles!

* though I'll pass on this one at 14 bucks a pop
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Saw and purchased Cowbell Doc Perdue's Bobcat West Coast Red Ale at an LCBO in Stoney Creek tonight. It has been mentioned somewhere as 'coming' to the LCBO, but I just checked now and don't see it listed on the website.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

portwood wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:

$13.85

I'm a compulsive ticker, but even I have my limits.
Same here. Not a fan of large formats
I'll buy one 500-750ml of a beer I've never tried before* but unlikely to buy a second unless its a world class brew that cellars well.

OTOH, I have no problem buying multiples of 330-350ml bottles!

* though I'll pass on this one at 14 bucks a pop
Agreed. There seem to be a lot of beers in large bottles that just don't justify the price or format. I think one of the most bizarre was Mill Street's Tankenstein IPA in a waxed swing-top. That was a serious wtf were they thinking moment... The 4 x 355 ml cans of Dales Pale Ale has got me wanting local beers in this format even more now.

portwood

Post by portwood »

now available
Sawdust City, Long dark voyage to uranus
9.5% (Nov 24, 2016)
@markhamwhisky

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

So I just had Illuminari at a friend's social event. And to sum it up, this is the epitome of what Mill St has become. It's supposed to be some champagne/Frambozen/Belgian sort of thing, but, I don't know if it's the cane sugar, the raspberries, or what, but it's a thick, syrupy, sweet mess. I think it's supposed to be a champagne beer that fails horribly, and it's backup of fruited Belgian beer fails even more horribly. Luckily I am CRAZY about raspberries, so I'll upscale this one to a "meh", but it's not that different from a raspberry choco/coffee syrup add-on. And what doesn't help, is this quote from the product page off of their website:
During our first pilot brew a waterproof flashlight got dropped into the mash tun during the transfer of the mash to the lauter tun and the light stayed on and kept tumbling throughout the mash and occasionally breaking the surface to light up the mash tun like a search light only to disappear again. We fished the flashlight out of the tank but, the “enlightened” name for this beer was born!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Haha, wow. I''d be scared to ask how they came up with Ginger Cat.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:Haha, wow. I''d be scared to ask how they came up with Ginger Cat.
Well the new assistant/trainee brewer, Katie McTavish disappeared in the brewing facility one week...
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Might've already been mentioned on here, but I spotted the Stone 20th Anniversary Vertical Epic Ale at Summerhill yesterday (and obviously bought a couple), and I notice it's showing stock at a few other stores as well. Nice to see this arrive in time for the holidays.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I might need a few of the Stone 20th VE 02 02 02 also, it was a good one. Price not bad given the exchange.
The 07 07 07 was similarly BSA-ish, and very good.

The 09 09 09 was contentious in its Belgian Stout-style appeal but I would buy it again, too.
But the 12th Anniv Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout was great.
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Napalm Frog wrote:So I just had Illuminari at a friend's social event. And to sum it up, this is the epitome of what Mill St has become. It's supposed to be some champagne/Frambozen/Belgian sort of thing, but, I don't know if it's the cane sugar, the raspberries, or what, but it's a thick, syrupy, sweet mess. I think it's supposed to be a champagne beer that fails horribly, and it's backup of fruited Belgian beer fails even more horribly. Luckily I am CRAZY about raspberries, so I'll upscale this one to a "meh", but it's not that different from a raspberry choco/coffee syrup add-on. And what doesn't help, is this quote from the product page off of their website:
During our first pilot brew a waterproof flashlight got dropped into the mash tun during the transfer of the mash to the lauter tun and the light stayed on and kept tumbling throughout the mash and occasionally breaking the surface to light up the mash tun like a search light only to disappear again. We fished the flashlight out of the tank but, the “enlightened” name for this beer was born!

Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't given Mill St. a second thought after they totally messed up a barley wine years and years ago. Beau's is probably not far behind.