Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

admviolin wrote:
spinrsx wrote:this has finally made its way to ontario - at TBS

Not Your Fathers Root Beer
6 × Bottle 355 ml Price: $16.95

I love this stuff. So much better than the other offerings in the province.
I agree it is better than the handful of other regularly available options in Ontario. Surprisingly, Mad Jack by Molson/Coors is actually probably the best option we have, in terms of realistic root beer taste.
Coronaeus wrote:

I love root beer, but this stuff is vile. The Ginger ale is even worse.
What are some of your favourite root beers? As someone who writes about them, and has sampled more than 500 of them...I'm curious.

Haven't had their ginger beer / ale yet so can't comment. Nickelbrook makes my favourite non-alcoholic root beer, but their ginger beer is disgusting.

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

I enjoy Dusty Boots root beer and have been looking forward to trying NYF, so glad to see it is arriving. Mill Street's offering in particular is terrible - tastes like rubbing alcohol mixed with a barely passable root beer.

Agree on Nickel Brook's non-alcoholic offerings - their root beer is probably in my top two (hard to give way to classic A&W) and the ginger beer is just terrible. In a blind tasting, I'm not even sure I would guess that I was drinking ginger beer. Blech. Give me Grace Island Soda for my Dark 'n Stormy.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Coronaeus wrote:

Just wait til you try the Molson Mad Jack Root Beer! ;)
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Ukie wrote:Winter Craft Beer Discovery Box

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/sku/49 ... JHxMoWcHIU
i think some of us could assemble a better box of 12 beers than that. nice that there is some quality belgian and german beers, but disappointing that they included 3 pseudo-craft beers (goose island, granville and mill street), and only 3 real Ontario craft beers (Left Field and Muskoka and Beaus).

the comments on the lcbo beer watch twitter post https://twitter.com/LCBOWatch/status/825376017934057472 mention that there's nothing in it you cant get already, and it's only 60 cents cheaper than buying them individually

distr0

Post by distr0 »

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/not-yo ... -root-beer
Alcohol Content (ABV): 4.5%
is that a typo or are we actually getting the 'lite' version?

it must be new. i've only had the normal 5.9% and the 10.7% versions before

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

GtownRandy wrote:

i think some of us could assemble a better box of 12 beers than that. nice that there is some quality belgian and german beers, but disappointing that they included 3 pseudo-craft beers (goose island, granville and mill street), and only 3 real Ontario craft beers (Left Field and Muskoka and Beaus).

the comments on the lcbo beer watch twitter post https://twitter.com/LCBOWatch/status/825376017934057472 mention that there's nothing in it you cant get already, and it's only 60 cents cheaper than buying them individually
It's really not for us. This is just a gimmick to try to drum up some Valentine's day sales.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:

It's really not for us. This is just a gimmick to try to drum up some Valentine's day sales.
Nothing says I love you like a box of mediocre beer?

Jerk_Store

Post by Jerk_Store »

Ottawa now showing stock of all Stone's, Old Rasp and Kasteel

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Masterplan wrote:
"I love you, but you have some flaws that probably gotta be fine tuned for this relationship to continue"
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

El Pinguino wrote:
admviolin wrote:

I agree it is better than the handful of other regularly available options in Ontario. Surprisingly, Mad Jack by Molson/Coors is actually probably the best option we have, in terms of realistic root beer taste.
Coronaeus wrote:

What are some of your favourite root beers? As someone who writes about them, and has sampled more than 500 of them...I'm curious.

Haven't had their ginger beer / ale yet so can't comment. Nickelbrook makes my favourite non-alcoholic root beer, but their ginger beer is disgusting.

I like the one from NB. To be honest, there aren't many non-alcoholic root beers I don't like. Barq's is awful but other than that I like most I have had. I used to go to that place in Whitby and try whatever they had in stock. My problem with NYFRB is that it tastes like spiced rubbing alcohol to me. The ginger ale more so.

All that said, I'd take a good birch beer over root beer any time.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Masterplan wrote:
Craig wrote:
GtownRandy wrote: i think some of us could assemble a better box of 12 beers than that. nice that there is some quality belgian and german beers, but disappointing that they included 3 pseudo-craft beers (goose island, granville and mill street), and only 3 real Ontario craft beers (Left Field and Muskoka and Beaus).

More like "Hey, you're into beer but not quite so into beer you go to an online forum to read about beer every day, here try some stuff you've never had before."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Craig wrote: More like "Hey, you're into beer but not quite so into beer you go to an online forum to read about beer every day, here try some stuff you've never had before."
* Ding! Ding! Ding! *
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:
Masterplan wrote:
Craig wrote:[

More like "Hey, you're into beer but not quite so into beer you go to an online forum to read about beer every day, here try some stuff you've never had before."
Isn't that what I said?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I guess, yeah.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

El Pinguino wrote:
admviolin wrote:

Coronaeus wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised by the madjack too. Last time I was in Buffalo I saw a bomber of "imperial" NYFRB. I think I regret not getting it... It was 10% ABC Or something ridiculous like that