New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

munrets
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby munrets » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Pursuant to an earlier comment: I bought a 4-pack of KBS at Queen and Coxwell earlier today and the girl rang it up as $7.95. I could have absconded with all four for that price, but the boyscout in me thought otherwise and I let her know the folly of her ways...
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby atomeyes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 am

sofakingdrunk wrote:
I was going to ask if anyone here had tried CBS, and what they thought about it, as all I've ever heard is people raving over it.

they had it on tap at the BLue Monk the year they closed. KBS, CBS and a bunch of other BA beer for their annual BA beer night. none of us loved it. too sweet and very thin.
Beer'n'gin
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Sudbury

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby Beer'n'gin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 am

munrets wrote:Pursuant to an earlier comment: I bought a 4-pack of KBS at Queen and Coxwell earlier today and the girl rang it up as $7.95. I could have absconded with all four for that price, but the boyscout in me thought otherwise and I let her know the folly of her ways...

You sir are a better man than I.
B1tman1ac
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 am

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby B1tman1ac » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:21 am

Having just tried this KBS I feel I need to comment on the subject of KBS vs et all Ontario/Canada/World . . .

Take it for what it is, a well aged beer that hides its 11.9% extremely well. Its integerated and ready to drink, no aging required and IMHO aging it might be a bad idea but that jury is still out. However, because of the aging, its also a muted beer again IMHO. Compared to other examples, the chocolate is there but not as noticeable as I'd like, maybe not to the level of a Chocolate Manifesto but a bit more would have been nice. The coffee is there, but not at the level of a Peche Mortel, which for me again IMHO is a great coffee beer. Is it worth grabbing a few, sure. Are there better examples you can find elsewhere even in Ontario? Yes :o Can I actually homebrew a better beer suited to my tastes. Damn straight! But again, this all depends on individual preferences. If you like a well integrated, aged & ready to drink stout, this is the beer for you, but I think you won't be missing much if you miss out on this euphoria.
User avatar
Jerk_Store
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby Jerk_Store » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 am

B1tman1ac wrote:Having just tried this KBS I feel I need to comment on the subject of KBS vs et all Ontario/Canada/World . . .

Take it for what it is, a well aged beer that hides its 11.9% extremely well. Its integerated and ready to drink, no aging required and IMHO aging it might be a bad idea but that jury is still out. However, because of the aging, its also a muted beer again IMHO. Compared to other examples, the chocolate is there but not as noticeable as I'd like, maybe not to the level of a Chocolate Manifesto but a bit more would have been nice. The coffee is there, but not at the level of a Peche Mortel, which for me again IMHO is a great coffee beer. Is it worth grabbing a few, sure. Are there better examples you can find elsewhere even in Ontario? Yes :o Can I actually homebrew a better beer suited to my tastes. Damn straight! But again, this all depends on individual preferences. If you like a well integrated, aged & ready to drink stout, this is the beer for you, but I think you won't be missing much if you miss out on this euphoria.


The balance is where the brilliance lies, in my opinion. Of course, if you feel like a straight up coffee beer, there are better options, if you want a chocolate beer, again, better options, but if you want a well balanced BA stout that combines both, and just a world class beer, then yeah, at that price point and for how well it's made, it's probably one of the best out there :) As you said, still many great beers out there and right under our noses, but I can understand the hype for this one.
Ukie
Bar Fly
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby Ukie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Flying off the shelves, evidently store in Guelph got in 72 bottles and gone by 10 am....so they say.

This may be a if you see it grab it because you won't get a second chance.
User avatar
boney
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby boney » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Some are no doubt being pulled immediately for restaurants. Some stores have stock that immediately dissapears because it isn't making it onto the shelf and is being kept in the back. It's smart to just ask your local what their deal is.
Ukie
Bar Fly
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby Ukie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:26 pm

boney wrote:Some are no doubt being pulled immediately for restaurants. Some stores have stock that immediately dissapears because it isn't making it onto the shelf and is being kept in the back. It's smart to just ask your local what their deal is.



Can't wait to see what happens in Hamilton!

I say Mall Road wont get any!
User avatar
darmokandjalad
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm
Location: Ridgetown, ON

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby darmokandjalad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:53 pm

I called a store in London today to see if it was worth going there to get some KBS. The guy on the other end said that close to a thousand bottles were allotted to stores in London and they're all gone (or at the very least, reserved).

Ridiculous. There should be bottle limits on stuff like this so that the people with day jobs can maybe get a bottle or two.
portwood
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby portwood » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 pm

darmokandjalad wrote:Ridiculous. There should be bottle limits on stuff like this so that the people with day jobs can maybe get a bottle or two.

I used to have same opinion due to FOMO disease.
Now I just don't care. If I happen to get to a store that has some of the latest-greatest-must-have, I'll buy some. Otherwise I just keep the credit card in my pocke and wait for the next latest-greatest-must-have beer/Scotch/Bourbon/etc. Stopped by Richmond Hill that was showing 3 online but none on the shelf (prob because they sold a 4-pack as a single). In the past I would have freaked out and spent time with the product consultant to order/transfer some. Yesterday I just picked up a 6-pack of the all day ipa and went my merry way ... :D

Plenty of other great products on the shelf and/or on the way to let FOMO disease take over
@markhamwhisky
User avatar
darmokandjalad
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm
Location: Ridgetown, ON

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby darmokandjalad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 pm

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of missing out... I live in Sarnia atm, so if I desperately felt that I needed to get some KBS there's nothing stopping me from going to Michigan. But I try to avoid crossing the border whenever possible, because for some reason the US border guards love pulling me over into secondary and wasting 1-2 hours of my time. Maybe I should stop shouting "Allahu Akbar" when they slide their booth window open :wink:

And it's not like I couldn't have called the beer guy at my local store ahead of time to make sure we got a flat or two in Sarnia. I'm thinking I missed the boat on that, though.

I was going to London later anyway, so I just thought I'd give it a (half-assed) try... but apparently I needed to use my whole ass. But you're absolutely right, there's plenty of other great stuff to try and I'm not going to cry myself to sleep about it.
JeffPorter
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2552
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:39 am
Location: Brampton, ON

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby JeffPorter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Beer'n'gin wrote:
munrets wrote:Pursuant to an earlier comment: I bought a 4-pack of KBS at Queen and Coxwell earlier today and the girl rang it up as $7.95. I could have absconded with all four for that price, but the boyscout in me thought otherwise and I let her know the folly of her ways...

You sir are a better man than I.
Last edited by JeffPorter on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 806
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby sofakingdrunk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:58 pm

atomeyes wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:
I was going to ask if anyone here had tried CBS, and what they thought about it, as all I've ever heard is people raving over it.

they had it on tap at the BLue Monk the year they closed. KBS, CBS and a bunch of other BA beer for their annual BA beer night. none of us loved it. too sweet and very thin.


Good to know, to be honest I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a beer with maple syrup flavours, always too sweet. That being said, if I ever do happen to see it, it'll be hard to pass up. Jut maybe not a whole pint
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 806
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby sofakingdrunk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Ukie wrote:Flying off the shelves, evidently store in Guelph got in 72 bottles and gone by 10 am....so they say.

This may be a if you see it grab it because you won't get a second chance.


Don't stores only open @ 10am?
Provost Drunk
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby Provost Drunk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:27 am

Stopped by the L in Maple Leaf Square on my way home from work intending only to pick up a few other provisions and was surprised to discover a huge KBS display (no stock was showing on drinkvine when I checked earlier in the day). Needless to say I jumped on the chance to grab a 4-pack. It rang in initially as a single bottle, but the cashier was not fooled and ended up scanning in each bottle individually. I can't imagine that it all sold before they closed so there's probably lots left for those in the area.

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron