Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

IMO, the Harvest Ale hasn't been the same since it came in large format swing top bottles.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

cratez wrote:The brewery description for this year's version sounds promising. Also interesting that they are calling this a "hop-forward" American IPA. Always thought of it as a cross between an APA and ESB, or North American-style ESB. But it looks like the 2017 is paler, and at ~7% the IPA descriptor makes sense. Looking forward to trying this year's rendition, and glad to see it in cans.
I agree, I always considered it to be more of an APA/English ale hybrid so I wonder if they're trying to align it a bit more with the juicy trend. I've always loved the earthier, spicier profile of the older releases so I'm interested to see how this turns out. Hopefully my nearby store stocks it soon.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

seangm wrote:
I agree, I always considered it to be more of an APA/English ale hybrid so I wonder if they're trying to align it a bit more with the juicy trend. I've always loved the earthier, spicier profile of the older releases so I'm interested to see how this turns out. Hopefully my nearby store stocks it soon.
Me too. That was the Harvest Ale I liked best, personally. Sounds like they are going in another direction. Still, I'm sure I'll give it a shot as the format switch to cans is most welcome.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote:
cratez wrote:The brewery description for this year's version sounds promising. Also interesting that they are calling this a "hop-forward" American IPA. Always thought of it as a cross between an APA and ESB, or North American-style ESB. But it looks like the 2017 is paler, and at ~7% the IPA descriptor makes sense. Looking forward to trying this year's rendition, and glad to see it in cans.

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about the change in direction. I also liked the hybrid style as it really seemed to fit with summer rolling out and fall coming in. With it becoming an IPA now may kind of lose that fall feeling.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Well, judged as a "hop-forward" American IPA, this was my impression of the 2017 Harvest Ale. I stopped drinking after taking the picture (and still had about a quarter of the can left), as it was difficult to get through. So disappointing.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Had some Harvest Ale last night and I too am disappointed. I didn't find it terrible, but I fear my favorite fall beer is dead.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

cratez wrote:Well, judged as a "hop-forward" American IPA, this was my impression of the 2017 Harvest Ale. I stopped drinking after taking the picture (and still had about a quarter of the can left), as it was difficult to get through. So disappointing.
Ouch, that sucks. I hate when breweries completely change a beer, at least re-brand it. Disappointing since it sounds like they changed it so drastically for the sake of being trendy. It doesn't even have the nice amber colour and hazy appearance that I remember.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

[DISCONTINUED] Smuttynose FinestKind IPA (473 mL can) was discontinued

wonder what happened here

portwood

Post by portwood »

spinrsx wrote:[DISCONTINUED] Smuttynose FinestKind IPA (473 mL can) was discontinued

weak sales #s
a lot of SKUs on the shelves these days. Geeks buy a few (or one) and move on the the next new thing. Regular drinkers are most likely consuming Corona/heineken/bud/etc
(just a guess)
@markhamwhisky

S M A

Post by S M A »

portwood wrote:
spinrsx wrote:[DISCONTINUED] Smuttynose FinestKind IPA (473 mL can) was discontinued

weak sales #s
a lot of SKUs on the shelves these days. Geeks buy a few (or one) and move on the the next new thing. Regular drinkers are most likely consuming Corona/heineken/bud/etc
(just a guess)
Exactly, too much of a 'box-ticking' mentality is not necessarily great for overall selection (or quality) with craft beer. Not sure if it's my imagination, but seems like a lot of stores are already scaling back on specialty offerings.

Sort of related, but did Boulevard's Saison Brett just spend a lot of time on shelves barely moving at stores and then suddenly have stock go way down? My closest 'BO had about a case on the shelves every time I was there, didn't seem to moving *at all*, and then is just not there now. Now, I wasn't there for a couple weeks, so too bad if they had a big sale and I missed it, but seems like something else might have happened? Weird. Also maybe my imagination. Beer paranoia.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I guess a knowledgeable beer market is a double-edged sword - easier to attract interest, harder to keep it.
The Boulevard may have just moved to a clearout location - or been scooped by a few bars? I had 2-3 bottles and I thought it was very worthwhile. The LC never listed it properly with brand and description, so it may have suffered weak product image for a beer costing $14.10 & fallen through the cracks.

I got the Infinity Mirror at Summerhill yesterday - IMO one of the real Ontario standouts of the past few years. This is the 'division' of sour beer maker Halcyon Barrel House supported by Beau's so the distro is not bad & I'm expecting only great things. This one in particular is a good value for $9.95, I recall it being very sippable with some nice layers.
In Beerum Veritas

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Regarding the Smutty Nose, I think we just have a very competitive market. There was nothing wrong with the beer and unlike many of the other American SKUs the price point was in line with the local market. I bought it occasionally but personally I find Lone Pine, Headstock, GL rotating IPAs all better. Crazy that the market has come this far. Terrifying for brewers that having an established brand and a decent beer is not enough in the Ontario market. I didn't see if often but in the 2 years or so it was in the market, I probably only bought it 4 times. Not enough obviously.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

alsiem wrote:Regarding the Smutty Nose, I think we just have a very competitive market. There was nothing wrong with the beer and unlike many of the other American SKUs the price point was in line with the local market. I bought it occasionally but personally I find Lone Pine, Headstock, GL rotating IPAs all better. Crazy that the market has come this far. Terrifying for brewers that having an established brand and a decent beer is not enough in the Ontario market. I didn't see if often but in the 2 years or so it was in the market, I probably only bought it 4 times. Not enough obviously.
Agreed, it never made it regularly to my lcbo but in the time it's been around I bought maybe 2 6-packs and a couple tall boys. It's a nice beer but it's not good enough for me to overlook something as good locally that's fresher.
Their Robust Porter on the other hand....that I would buy on a regular basis if available as I can't really think of anything locally comparable

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Let's see how long Stone lasts. I don't feel that at $4.25 a can, that Arrogant Bastard is moving the needle.

The Smutty Nose Robust Porter is still at the beer store. Website claims that only 10 stores in Toronto are carrying it so perhaps that's on the way out too. I may actually try to seek that out for the fall before it slips away.

S M A

Post by S M A »

Belgian wrote:The Boulevard may have just moved to a clearout location....I had 2-3 bottles and I thought it was very worthwhile....for a beer costing $14.10 & fallen through the cracks.
The BB Quad is great, but I was referring to the Saison Brett, which is a whopping $19. I got one and really liked it, but the price made me wait for a sale to get any more. I need to try the Infinity Mirror soon.

Re the Smuttynose, good beer but you have to think that to the 98% of people who don't already know what it is, it would just blend right in with the glut of cans in every 'BO. And even when someone tries it, likely months-old, it's probably not going to become too many people's new go-to or anything.