Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Surprised about the reaction to the Modern Times pale ale. I tried that and the gose last night and was absolutely in love with both.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Orval_Al wrote:Surprised about the reaction to the Modern Times pale ale. I tried that and the gose last night and was absolutely in love with both.
Yeah, based on the recent comments I was expecting the worst but decided to buy one each of the stout and pale w ale anyway.
Though the ale is 3 months old IMO, it still feels relatively "fresh". Not worth $4.25, mind, but not a bad beer.
Can't say I've had many oatmeal stouts (maybe a dozen) but the MT is, again, a bit pricey but a good one
@markhamwhisky

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

The Muskoka salted caramel thing is meh. Watery, thin porter base (i.e. no body). Finishes with a chocolate caramel aftertaste. Not awful, but not worth $3.65 a can. Too many novelty beers coming from this once solid brewery.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Gedge wrote:The Muskoka salted caramel thing is meh. Watery, thin porter base (i.e. no body). Finishes with a chocolate caramel aftertaste. Not awful, but not worth $3.65 a can. Too many novelty beers coming from this once solid brewery.
Yup.

Bought a can out of curiosity. Tasted like Waterloo Dark to me. Nothing to justify the price tag.

If you're looking for a low abv dessert beer, the pecan pie Porter from Double Trouble brewery is pretty nice. Has some body to it.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

dale cannon wrote:The modern times pale tastes and smells like it would have been fantastic in November.

Game of thrones fire & ice, is this a gift pack w glass?

Yeah, just picked one up today. I forget exactly what the beers are(they're in basement and I'm too lazy to check) but I think it said "double white"??? And a red ale with chili. The glass that comes with it looks quite nice, although I havnt taken out of the box yet. A decent buy for 25$ as far as I'm concerned, as these beers are usually pretty good and not just a gimmick.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Gedge wrote:The Muskoka salted caramel thing is meh. Watery, thin porter base (i.e. no body). Finishes with a chocolate caramel aftertaste. Not awful, but not worth $3.65 a can. Too many novelty beers coming from this once solid brewery.
Just finished reviewing this one; my opinions were pretty much in line with yours. I believe the base beer is a bock, not a porter - though the inclusion of cocoa does sort of give it a porter-like vibe. Either way, it's overpriced for the quality received, and not something I'm inclined to reach for again.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

darmokandjalad wrote:
Just finished reviewing this one; my opinions were pretty much in line with yours. I believe the base beer is a bock, not a porter - though the inclusion of cocoa does sort of give it a porter-like vibe. Either way, it's overpriced for the quality received, and not something I'm inclined to reach for again.
I thought it tasted like root beer.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

That modern times beer was far beyond what I expected for a 3 month old pale ale. Beautiful peach pit shining through, no old stale hopes. Considering going back for more.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

DeMarco wrote:That modern times beer was far beyond what I expected for a 3 month old pale ale. Beautiful peach pit shining through, no old stale hopes. Considering going back for more.
Agreed. I them all. Thought the stout stood out.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I like Modern Times and made a point to visit them when I was in San Diego a couple years ago. I loved their Booming Rollers IPA.

That being said, I think these three offerings are good but not great. Considering the price and canning date, I'd have a hard time buying them again considering what's readily available locally. I still think it's pretty cool they're in the LCBO though.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I'd do the pepsi taste challenge for anything local at 3 months.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

The freshness snobbery here is a little much at times. I'm not sure how huge a difference one would detect in a sessionable wheat/pale ale.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jp_jkl wrote:I like Modern Times... these three offerings are good but not great. Considering the price and canning date, I'd have a hard time buying them again....
Me too. Regardless of canning date, we have local brews that are off-the-charts better, and Founders stuff that is better and a very fair deal.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Idk, to me the pale ale is great, even at 3 months. Excellent flavours. That said, I’d buy more if it was fresher.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

I thought the pale ale was decent, but tasted a little metallic. Much preferred the gose and stout.