Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

GtownRandy wrote:Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock is back. What a great value, $2.95 for a 500ml can of 7.9abv goodness.

Nice catch. I really enjoy this beer.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Weird.. why didnt we just get the regular sculpin

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

lagerale wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock is back. What a great value, $2.95 for a 500ml can of 7.9abv goodness.
Nice catch. I really enjoy this beer.
I wanted to try it last year, but missed out. Glad to see it's back....with a recommendation to boot. :)

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

GtownRandy wrote:Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin 6x355ml bottles. 7% abc. $17.65.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/ballas ... 6WVxBZE2aN
no single bottle code yet.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

spinrsx wrote:Weird.. why didnt we just get the regular sculpin
Probably because the Grapefruit one tastes better. :P

Both very good but I do prefer the Grapefruit one....the other versions that I've had (pineapple, aloha, etc) are not as good as either of these two.

portwood

Post by portwood »

El Pinguino wrote:
Unlikely quality was the top reason for Constellation/Ballast Point to expand distribution of this particular beer to LCBO ...
my bet: date codes were higher up on the list :lol:
@markhamwhisky

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

portwood wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:
Unlikely quality was the top reason for Constellation/Ballast Point to expand distribution of this particular beer to LCBO ...
my bet: date codes were higher up on the list :lol:
On that note, bottled early August. Not bad for initial release of a California product. Remember the disappointing release of ancient green flash west coast?

This grapefruit sculpin has a delicious and unique flavour. We really don’t need to drag another “regular” ipa across the continent.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

portwood

Post by portwood »

dale cannon wrote:On that note, bottled early August. Not bad for initial release of a California product.
nearly 2 months old eh?
yeah, "not bad" for an LCBO release but not fresh enough for an IPA.

Learned a huge lesson in early August from visits to Tree House and Trillium. I bought a few super fresh IPA's & pale ales from each of the two highly rated breweries (4-6 cans of each). Within the first week of canning, all of them were 4.5 to 5 out of 5 beers. By the fourth week I wouldn't rate any of them above 4.25/5. Still excellent beer but no better than a number of Ontario offerings

The only other breweries I've had super fresh beer (2 or 3 days after packaging) are Bellwoods and Rouge River. From Bellwoods, I've never bought enough at any one time to last more than a week, so never experienced the huge drop off in quality over a few weeks (also, difficult to say for sure when they were bottled since they don't provide dates). On VARIOUS occasions, I've experienced huge drops in quality of Rouge River from week-old to month-old beer of the same batch. I always wrote it off to probable packaging issues from a young brewery. After Tree House and Trillium, I now know the quality drop off in Rouge River IPAs/Pale ales is inherent to the style.

Call me a beer snob/idiot, but going forward, I'll avoid buying ANY hoppy beer that is more than a month old.
@markhamwhisky

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Paulaner jumped from $2.95 to $4.00 within a few weeks of being here. :roll:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/paulan ... 8fQbGhKhEY

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GtownRandy wrote:
Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock is back. What a great value, $2.95 for a 500ml can of 7.9abv goodness.
Lukie wrote:Paulaner jumped from $2.95 to $4.00 within a few weeks of being here. :roll:
Yeah... THAT was a mistake! It's worth $4.00 for 500ml. The LC now charge over $3.00 for basic Munich lagers in 500ml.
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

My LCBO had Old Tom's Egg Nog and Beers of Scotland pack out today. little early? :o

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

JaseWescott wrote:My LCBO had Old Tom's Egg Nog and Beers of Scotland pack out today. little early? :o

Yeah....Halloween week is about the earliest I remember seeing the Xmas stuff out.

portwood

Post by portwood »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:My LCBO had Old Tom's Egg Nog and Beers of Scotland pack out today. little early? :o

Yeah....Halloween week is about the earliest I remember seeing the Xmas stuff out.
on the bright side: fresher beer ...if memory serves, last time I had the Beers of Scotland they were pretty stale.
@markhamwhisky

Russell v R

Post by Russell v R »

Belgian wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:
Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock is back. What a great value, $2.95 for a 500ml can of 7.9abv goodness.
Lukie wrote:Paulaner jumped from $2.95 to $4.00 within a few weeks of being here. :roll:
Yeah... THAT was a mistake! It's worth $4.00 for 500ml. The LC now charge over $3.00 for basic Munich lagers in 500ml.
Annnd it's back to $2.95

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

So I was in store today and the Xmas displays are going up fast. I saw a bunch alread.
Czechvar mini keg
St. Peter winter ale
Bah humbug
Innis gunn 3 pack(one mystery beer) and new glass
Spencer mixed 3 pack with Trappist glass
Historic Beers if Scotland
Belhaven mixed pack
St Bernardus mixed pack
The big bottles of Grolsch and Stella.