New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby sofakingdrunk » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:34 pm

Belgian wrote:CIGAR CITY MARGARITA GOSE
LCBO 15604 | 4x355 mL can
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES

Easy going, should probably be served very cold, like many trendy examples is very tart and lemony and a bit salty, and not so much funk or complexity or interest. As with Ciders, it's hard to find a good Gose with identity and character. I do like the acidic aftertaste.

I enjoyed this one, really likes it on those very hot days.
JaseWescott

Postby JaseWescott » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:28 pm

I enjoyed Marshal Zhukov RIS (first time trying it). West Avenue Heritage Dry is a really good local cider 8) second place goes to Two Blokes - Hex Press Dry Cider (Bellwoodsish label)
distr0

Postby distr0 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:17 am

I haven't been in an LCBO since ~Feb, but I've got a gift card to spend. Anything good/new/interesting lately?
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:50 pm

Flying Dog-Gonzo porter is absolutely fantastic.
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

FD Gonzo Porter

Postby Belgian » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:43 pm

sofakingdrunk wrote:Flying Dog-Gonzo porter is absolutely fantastic.

Like Hunter S. Thompson...Gonzo Imperial Porter is deep and complex. This turbo charged version of the Road Dog Porter is mysteriously dark with a rich malty body, intense roasted flavors, and a surprisingly unique hop kick. With Gonzo weighing in at 9.2% ABV, it will bite you in the ass if you don’t show it the proper respect. IBU’s: 85

^ pretty much this.

What a beer. Definitely nostalgic to the '90s / 2000's USA craft beer revolution that took off everywhere including (eventually) here. The 'more of everything' idea is the bold roast on top of the full but not treacly malt which is balanced by an almost orangey citrus-peel hop & slightly sharp resiny bitter bite.

I associate this overall flavor with Elmwood Village Buffalo about 2010 & the many bottle runs I made to NY in the late 2000's. Though so much has evolved since, some things don't need to change.

This beer seems almost of another time and trend (it has more fun audacity & excess than many beers we see now) but it's still amazing. The classic West Coast IPA hopping is notable.
In Beerum Veritas
JaseWescott

Re: FD Gonzo Porter & Harviestoun Old Engine Oil

Postby JaseWescott » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:30 am

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Flying Dog-Gonzo porter is absolutely fantastic.

Like Hunter S. Thompson...Gonzo Imperial Porter is deep and complex. This turbo charged version of the Road Dog Porter is mysteriously dark with a rich malty body, intense roasted flavors, and a surprisingly unique hop kick. With Gonzo weighing in at 9.2% ABV, it will bite you in the ass if you don’t show it the proper respect. IBU’s: 85

^ pretty much this.

What a beer. Definitely nostalgic to the '90s / 2000's USA craft beer revolution that took off everywhere including (eventually) here. The 'more of everything' idea is the bold roast on top of the full but not treacly malt which is balanced by an almost orangey citrus-peel hop & slightly sharp resiny bitter bite.

I associate this overall flavor with Elmwood Village Buffalo about 2010 & the many bottle runs I made to NY in the late 2000's. Though so much has evolved since, some things don't need to change.

This beer seems almost of another time and trend (it has more fun audacity & excess than many beers we see now) but it's still amazing. The classic West Coast IPA hopping is notable.

deep and complex is one way of describing him :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCFdcEXknc

will keep my eyes peeled for Flying Dog Gonzo Porter. Harviestoun Old Engine Oil was just listed in 330 ml cans

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... -oil-16694

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”