Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

chingobingo

Post by chingobingo »

seangm wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:
seangm wrote:So I heard through the grapevine that Orval has shown up in the LCBO warehouse, but it's not listed yet.
Don't let me down grapevine!

I have a few bottles cellared, bottled around 2013-2016. Though I suspect they are past their prime, It would be interesting to compare them to a new batch. I recall previous shipments to the LCBO would arrive with 8-10 months after bottling. I've always wanted to try super fresh Orval.
Yea if we get it really fresh that'd be icing on the cake. I've had a bottle up to 4 years old and it was still great, taking on some almost sherry-like notes. I think they give it 5 years BB so I imagine the 2013s still have some life in them.

I really hope what I heard pans out otherwise I owe everyone here an apology!
Hey guys, so I am a long time lurker on these forums and an LCBO employee who manages the beer program at a high volume LCBO in Toronto.

Orval is indeed coming. Orval has been designated as a "NEW ITEM" for close to a year, in fact. This is typically the case for items coming from out of the country (Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA has been designated as such for OVER A YEAR NOW).

From the time an item gets a listing assigned, to the time a product actually arrives in warehouses, and then again to the time the listing actually goes live for stores to then order the product or have it forced to them, can be an excruciatingly long time.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

chingobingo wrote:Hey guys, so I am a long time lurker on these forums and an LCBO employee who manages the beer program at a high volume LCBO in Toronto.

Orval is indeed coming. Orval has been designated as a "NEW ITEM" for close to a year, in fact. This is typically the case for items coming from out of the country (Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA has been designated as such for OVER A YEAR NOW).

From the time an item gets a listing assigned, to the time a product actually arrives in warehouses, and then again to the time the listing actually goes live for stores to then order the product or have it forced to them, can be an excruciatingly long time.
This news almost makes up for the nightmare that has been 2020 lol. Excruciating is right, but hopefully the wait is almost over.

Thanks for the formal confirmation!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

chingobingo wrote:... and then again to the time the listing actually goes live for stores to then order the product or have it forced to them, can be an excruciatingly long time.
Some stores are great. It's down to individual staff to care that beer exists (or to deny it.)
In Beerum Veritas

chingobingo

Post by chingobingo »

Belgian wrote:
chingobingo wrote:... and then again to the time the listing actually goes live for stores to then order the product or have it forced to them, can be an excruciatingly long time.
Some stores are great. It's down to individual staff to care that beer exists (or to deny it.)
While this is true and I am given a lot of leeway with inventory management, head office will also force a product onto your store if they believe it will do well at that location. Whether it actually does well or not is a different story altogether.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

chingobingo wrote:
Belgian wrote:... some stores are great. It's down to individual staff to care that beer exists (or to deny it.)
While this is true and I am given a lot of leeway with inventory management, head office will also force a product onto your store if they believe it will do well at that location. Whether it actually does well or not is a different story altogether.
I guess a stock item has to exist in order to sell yet also must sell to be allowed to remain in stock; selling it can take a little time for enough people to catch on, yet if too little time is allowed this creates a 'positive feedback loop' of perpetually undervaluing products and excluding them. Products may never firmly establish their potential niche eg. in the way Rochefort finally did.

This is why we do appreciate stores/individuals that listen to the last 50 people who asked about one or another item & treat this data as significant. If it's not in-store policy, it can't be bad for the organization.
In Beerum Veritas

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Thank you for the kind words Doug. We don't represent Orval, but do share your sentiments about this beer! Merry Christmas and have a Happy, Healthy, New Year!
DougShoemaker wrote:Roland & Russell, Thank You for bringing in this fantastic offering. Superb selection. I've appreciated the memorable beers You've brought us in the past. As BakaGaijin requested the Orval I would also love seeing this distinctive Trappist return if possible please.

Thanks again, all the best wishes for the Holiday Season. Cheers, Doug Shoemaker
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Orval now listed. No stock available but hopefully this means it'll be hitting stores any day now.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... tId=589001

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

In addition to the 12yo I’ve also seen the Ola Dubh 18yo on shelves, but not listed.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

incredible news about orval. i was just telling a buddy how much i'd love to have it back.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

seangm wrote:Orval now listed. No stock available but hopefully this means it'll be hitting stores any day now...
Happy to see Orval back, albeit with a completely fair price update from a few years ago.

I had my last Dupont Vielle Provision Saison the other night and decided this brew (or any Saison) + the Orval, one should just always have a stock of... I'll be getting a 12-pack, despite the extra $17 cost.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Orval is in stock at one LCBO in Ottawa. It's happening! Can anyone confirm bottling date?

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:Orval now listed. No stock available but hopefully this means it'll be hitting stores any day now...
Happy to see Orval back, albeit with a completely fair price update from a few years ago.

I had my last Dupont Vielle Provision Saison the other night and decided this brew (or any Saison) + the Orval, one should just always have a stock of... I'll be getting a 12-pack, despite the extra $17 cost.
Same here, I'll be grabbing 12 to weather another Orval drought. It would be wonderful if the LCBO started bringing it in more regularly again but I'm not holding my breath.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I picked up Orval, bottled late Sept 2020. Pretty fresh!

Also FYI LCBO has stopped taking any returns during lockdown. I had planned to return some rather stale beer xmas gifts but was told by the clerk to to hold on to them until lockdown ends... could be a while.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:I picked up Orval, bottled late Sept 2020. Pretty fresh!

Also FYI LCBO has stopped taking any returns during lockdown. I had planned to return some rather stale beer xmas gifts but was told by the clerk to to hold on to them until lockdown ends... could be a while.

I see that Orval has been listed in Guelph now :).
Unfortunate about returns as I’ve got a bottle of gin to return that would have gotten me a dozen or so bottles.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Cleaned out an LCBO store of Orval (they only had 12). Also noticed Prairie Bible Belt and Oh, Fudge on the shelf.