Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

JaseWescott wrote:
Urotsukidoji wrote:Innis & Gunn Holiday Pack

anyone bought this? Wondering what the secret beer is?
it's a spicy imperial stout. I like the idea. I wouldn't mind another NB Mystery Pack :D
might have to grab that then....

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Just popping in to say I tried the new Collingwood Winter Stout last night and it was surprisingly delicious. I prefer bourbon barrel aged imperials like I'm sure most do around here, but the 5% abv is a little better on the waistline.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So I just ran into Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Stout at a Brampton store. I don't pay much attention to these threads anymore, so don't know if it's been mentioned as making an appearance.

Mostly just lol at Ontario brewers, specifically Nickel Brook and their price and format size. This bottle cost me $4.85, and is the perfect size bottle for this stlye of beer. It's in the car right now but I believe it's 330ml.

So again, an import world class brewery is far, far better priced that a place like Nickel Brook, who I so rarely purchase anymore.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blasphomet wrote:So I just ran into Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Stout ... bottle cost me $4.85, and is the perfect size bottle for this style of beer... 330ml... import world class brewery is far, far better priced that a place like Nickel Brook, who I so rarely purchase anymore.
I agree this blows away some Canadian alternatives, unfortunately. That was an immediate thought I had too, how can such a nice BB RIS be so reasonable - even when it's imported.

I suspect USA brewers have better bourbon barrel access and also long experience doing these beers on a (relative) mass scale.
In Beerum Veritas

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Get 2 bottles and it’s equal to less than $10 for a 660ml bottle of 12% imp stout, compared to $12 for 500ml of Kentucky bastard. Both equally rated on ratebeer. But this way it’s easier to drink half and still have the other half sealed.

Edit: can’t wait to try the lickinghole heir apparent, almost a litre of 12% stout for $7.40!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

GtownRandy wrote:Get 2 bottles and it’s equal to less than $10 for a 660ml bottle of 12% imp stout, compared to $12 for 500ml of Kentucky bastard. Both equally rated on ratebeer. But this way it’s easier to drink half and still have the other half sealed.

Edit: can’t wait to try the lickinghole heir apparent, almost a litre of 12% stout for $7.40!
Bring out the Imp is really good too, and also comes in a smaller format. I appreciate that there are now a few smaller imperials available and hope this is a conscious decision on the part of the LCBO.

I like Lickinghole. :o

Its got some nice vegetal chile notes underneath and has a good silky sweetness. I believe Sammy said that this was a new permament listing, but I might buy a bunch now just in case.

portwood

Post by portwood »

GtownRandy wrote:Get 2 bottles and it’s equal to less than $10 for a 660ml bottle of 12% imp stout, compared to $12 for 500ml of Kentucky bastard. Both equally rated on ratebeer. But this way it’s easier to drink half and still have the other half sealed.

Count me in as fan of ~350ml bottles/cans of beer - especially for ABVs north of 6%!!!

As more and more of these high quality, well priced, imports continue to flood the market, local breweries are going to find it increasingly difficult to compete (beyond selling one or two bottles to the untappd tickers).

Trying to support my local Rouge River by buying all of their non-sour releases but its tough to justify paying $14 for 500ml for their "Never say Never" barrel aged RIS ($2 more than last year) when cheaper alternatives are so plentiful. I bought a few last year, but limited my "support" to 2 bottles this year...
@markhamwhisky

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I too am a fan of smaller serving sizes and price tags. However sometimes you do get what you pay for. The Lickinghole (Lackinghole?) Heir Apparent is not on par with other fine examples of the style. Ditto for the Boulevard (which is actually only 2/3 barrel aged), and pales in comparison to Kentucky Bastard in more than just price. Ditto for Bring out the Imp vs Winey Bastard.

Double Tempest ($17), Balam ($15) and Bellwoods ($7-$17) stouts have blown me away so far in 2018 and these LCBO offerings, while very nice to try and easier on the wallet, are just not at the same level in my opinion. Fullers Imperial Stout and Oskar Blues Hot Box are LCBO standouts for me so far.

munrets

Post by munrets »

Just popped in to King and Spadina:

Nightmare on Brett
CBS
Evil Twin Chili Hazelnet whatever
Evil Twin/Prairie Bible Belt

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

[quote="munrets"]Just popped in to King and Spadina:

Nightmare on Brett
CBS
Evil Twin Chili Hazelnet whatever
Evil Twin/Prairie Bible Belt[/quote

What?! There's Evil Twin at the LCBO now?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I bought the lickinghole heir apparent the other day, and it’s a great value. 3.70 or so for a tall boy of high alcohol tasty impy stout. I was really quite happy with it and will buy a bunch more.

Cshh

Post by Cshh »

About 7 cases of CBS at King and Spadina. 530436.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Cshh wrote:About 7 cases of CBS at King and Spadina. 530436.
Surprised you guys like this so much. I had it at The Jim during the Founders tap takeover last Friday. Found it sickly sweet. Much prefer KBS or Kentucky Bastard.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Orval_Al wrote:
Cshh wrote:About 7 cases of CBS at King and Spadina. 530436.
Surprised you guys like this so much. I had it at The Jim during the Founders tap takeover last Friday. Found it sickly sweet. Much prefer KBS or Kentucky Bastard.
Loved the CBS and the Better Half at the Jim. The free glasses were a nice touch.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Orval_Al wrote:Surprised you guys like (CBS) so much. I had it at The Jim during the Founders tap takeover last Friday. Found it sickly sweet. Much prefer KBS or Kentucky Bastard.
Interesting. Canadian Breakfast Stout definitely has a 'confection' quality about it, as they add chocolate and maple syrup to an already malt-rich coffee / bourbon barrel beer. You sure get the whole Xmas stocking (or Halloween treat bag) in this one.

Possibly a terrible bar beer, but much better as a home sipper enjoyed quietly over 2-6 hours (not exaggerating this time frame in the least.) This is the pace I would enjoy über-rich things like ice wines, Sauternes, sweet Pedro Ximinez sherry and the like. A slippers and housecoat brew, if you will.

Anybody opened a bottle? Is this year's identical in flavor to last?
In Beerum Veritas