Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Looks like the online store is up and running. So the beers that are already available in stores have a minimum order of $50 online and those that are available exclusively online have to be purchased per case, as someone said earlier. Delivery to stores is free, while home delivery is $12. So far only 12 beers are available exclusively online, which is really the only reason why a person in the GTA would use this service in the first place. I seriously hope they add more exclusive beers and perhaps allow people to split their orders online, but that sounds like something too sophisticated for the lcbo. Anyone know what delivery service they'll use for home delivery?

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

Lukie wrote:Anyone know what delivery service they'll use for home delivery?
Canada Post. And they'll be checking ID's at the door :lol:

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Beer'n'gin wrote:
Lukie wrote:Anyone know what delivery service they'll use for home delivery?
Canada Post. And they'll be checking ID's at the door :lol:

So the person has to be home to receive it. I bet the postie will be doing a lot of cursing hauling heavy cases back to the truck.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

As i do with most things i order online, i get them delivered to work instead of home. Im there more than i am at home

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

In the spirit of things, I placed my first online LCBO order for the Baltic Porter, to my nearest store. I intend to return at least six bottles, right at the store when I pick it up, so we'll see how that system goes. Hopefully the store will honour its return policy (with some degree of unwillingness from the rank and file, as I expect) and place the remainder on the shelves for all to enjoy. If all goes well, I will get the more pricey Special Edition, which I've never had before and with some luck get to keep the extra Air Miles. If you're wondering, they charge your card right away, you get a confirmation email instantly summarising the purchase and they send you another one once the product is shipped and (as I imagine) once it arrives at the destination. All in all, a nice standard, streamlined shopping experience (so far) you'd come to expect online. In addition to credit card payments, they should consider adding paypal and interac plus subscribe to ebates or gcr to widen their appeal.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

5 PADDLES BREWING HOME SWEET HOME
Canada | 5 Paddles Brewing Co
LCBO 458950 | 650 mL | $ 6.00

BLACK BELLOWS WHITE
Canada | Black Bellows Brewing Co
LCBO 466334 | 500 mL | $ 3.95 | SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES

skootles

Post by skootles »

Home Sweet Home was one of my least favourite offerings from 5 Paddles, the vanilla flavour was really overpowering and tasted like fake vanilla flavouring. Bleh.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Argh - did they remove the "All Stores" option from the stock locator on the webpage again????

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

A wrote:Argh - did they remove the "All Stores" option from the stock locator on the webpage again????
It appears they did. Completing searches http://stage.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/Prod ... anguage=EN here still works.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Lukie wrote:In the spirit of things, I placed my first online LCBO order for the Baltic Porter, to my nearest store. I intend to return at least six bottles, right at the store when I pick it up, so we'll see how that system goes. Hopefully the store will honour its return policy (with some degree of unwillingness from the rank and file, as I expect) and place the remainder on the shelves for all to enjoy. If all goes well, I will get the more pricey Special Edition, which I've never had before and with some luck get to keep the extra Air Miles. If you're wondering, they charge your card right away, you get a confirmation email instantly summarising the purchase and they send you another one once the product is shipped and (as I imagine) once it arrives at the destination. All in all, a nice standard, streamlined shopping experience (so far) you'd come to expect online. In addition to credit card payments, they should consider adding paypal and interac plus subscribe to ebates or gcr to widen their appeal.
Wrong thread.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Lukie wrote:In the spirit of things, I placed my first online LCBO order for the Baltic Porter, to my nearest store. I intend to return at least six bottles, right at the store when I pick it up, so we'll see how that system goes. Hopefully the store will honour its return policy (with some degree of unwillingness from the rank and file, as I expect) and place the remainder on the shelves for all to enjoy. If all goes well, I will get the more pricey Special Edition, which I've never had before and with some luck get to keep the extra Air Miles. If you're wondering, they charge your card right away, you get a confirmation email instantly summarising the purchase and they send you another one once the product is shipped and (as I imagine) once it arrives at the destination. All in all, a nice standard, streamlined shopping experience (so far) you'd come to expect online. In addition to credit card payments, they should consider adding paypal and interac plus subscribe to ebates or gcr to widen their appeal.
Wrong thread.

Meh close enough, so who gives?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A wrote:Argh - did they remove the "All Stores" option from the stock locator on the webpage again????
Now they just moved it from the right sideto underneath.

Wonder what team of geniuses worked six months on that project? :D
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Belgian wrote:
Now they just moved it from the right sideto underneath.

Wonder what team of geniuses worked six months on that project? :D

The same that got a performance bonus afterwards.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

mahcinesquad wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:
I would say that was their best beer, and I would also say there are probably at least a dozen other Ontario breweries I'd rather see vanish before Spearhead.

There really is very little risk being a contract brewer, so what's this "dangerous game" you're referencing?
The danger is you have to pay a brewery to make your product, and you don't have a storefront like a bricks and mortar brewery to sell your product. Margins are much lower.

Jordan has a good write-up on it recently: http://saintjohnswort.ca/acehilllostcraft/
Spearhead is also (likely) paying staff (reps, etc). and who knows if they "bought" taps at bars.
when you own a contract brewery, you pay for your beer. you have to sell that beer. and you likely bought a LOT of kegs.
like any business, there is a financial investment to play the game. whether it's $5000 or $50 000,that's still money that someone may lose.

not being a dick, but did you think they produced all this beer for free and people worked for free? Spearhead likely spent a LOT of money in R&D, staff, equipment, swag and other promotions, their Spearhead car that i used to see in the city. that's dangerous.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

FWIW I was in Baker Street station(one of really only two pubs in Guelph with decent tap selection) just the other day. Reading the chalkboard; I noticed spearhead has no taps anymore, when I believe they used to have at least 2 if not 3 full time for the past couple of years.