Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Eli wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Pretty sure I still see Cuvee on shelves... have all year. Need to drink my '12 bottle.
So I drank my '12 NB Cuvee tonight. Wow... totally different then I remember. Even from the '13. Much more funky and sour. Still some of the barrel, but mostly a sour. Weird.
Same experience here. Had a 12 and 13 vertical and the 12 definitely went sour but no traces of the same happening in the 13. I liked the unintentional sour way more. The 12 also went all Krakatoa on me.

Big time. My erupted all over my counter lol. Good to know you experienced the exact same thing. But I'm wondering how unintentional it all actually was. I don't know enough about actual brewing to know that it was unintentional, so I'd be curious to hear about it. A lot of the reviews I was reading mentioned the sourness on fresh bottles... it's just something I didn't particularly notice.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

OLD TOMORROW CANADIAN PALE ALE
Canada | Old Tomorrow Ltd.
LCBO 400853 | 473 mL | $ 2.95

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

spinrsx wrote:new:

OLD TOMORROW CANADIAN PALE ALE
Canada | Old Tomorrow Ltd.
LCBO 400853 | 473 mL | $ 2.95
I'll give it a try, but likely only once after looking up the brewery...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

BLACK WYCH
United Kingdom | The Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd.
LCBO 588012 | 500 mL | $ 3.50

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Blasphomet wrote:
Make sure you guys keep in touch when you drink your aged Cuvee. I will definitely be olding onto my 13 now for another year. I enjoyed it fresh, but with two years, a complete about-face. I'm curious if it is common for the beer.
i drank a '12 cuvee recently and it was just as you described. seriously amazing transformation

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

LEGENDS OF THE BAY
Canada | Hockley Valley Brewing Co.
LCBO 395335 | 650 mL | $ 5.95

SPEARHEAD BELGIAN STOUT
Canada | Spearhead Brewing Company
LCBO 399287 | 6x355 mL | $ 13.95

and this: (YES!)

LONE PINE IPA
Canada | Sawdust City Brewing Co.
LCBO 398263 | 473 mL | $ 3.25

this is my new go-to beer in this format

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Anyone have any word on when the Red Rocket Stout is due out?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

liamt07 wrote:Anyone have any word on when the Red Rocket Stout is due out?
I had it on Saturday at Tallboys and didn't enjoy it. The spice level was too high for my liking and built up strong, and overshadowed most of the coffee. The spice character tasted like powdered cayenne from my cupboard instead of fresh peppers but I could be wrong on what they used. I also found it to be too light on body and sweetness to carry off the additions.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Norseman on shelf at Summerhill

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

ercousin wrote:
liamt07 wrote:Anyone have any word on when the Red Rocket Stout is due out?
I had it on Saturday at Tallboys and didn't enjoy it. The spice level was too high for my liking and built up strong, and overshadowed most of the coffee. The spice character tasted like powdered cayenne from my cupboard instead of fresh peppers but I could be wrong on what they used. I also found it to be too light on body and sweetness to carry off the additions.
I went the other way on this and loved it so much at the Victory that I ordered a second pint. I'm not normally a fan of beers that pack this kind of heat, but it builds a pleasant intensity, and I though it worked well with the coffee and base beer. That said, I think the coffee was overshadowed. I can't recall the price point, but if it's reasonable, I'll be buying a lot of this.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Im nto a fan of hot pepper / chili beers but had the Sawdust Red Rocket on tap a few weeks ago at the brewery....it was super. Just the right amount of heat, without detracting from the coffee stout...the heat builds up on you. I'll buy it when its at the LCBO.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Add me in as another fan of Red Rocket - I think I had it last year, though at Bar Hop. Not crazy intense, but just enough to pique(!) your interest.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

LAKE OF BAYS NHLA GERRY CHEEVERS OKTOBERFEST ALE
LCBO 400580 | 750 mL bottle
Price $ 11.95 (!?)

OKANAGAN WINTER CRAFT PACK
LCBO 402289 | 6x341 mL bottle
Price $ 12.45

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

spinrsx wrote:new

LAKE OF BAYS NHLA GERRY CHEEVERS OKTOBERFEST ALE
LCBO 400580 | 750 mL bottle
Price $ 11.95 (!?)
A bit late out of the gate. That is, what, our eighth different Ontario marzen this year?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

noticed amsterdam tempest and vicars vice are both listed again