Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I don't believe it, it has actually happened! (I've been waiting for this for over a year now..)

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
LCBO#: 322537 | 750 mL bottle
$9.95

although I seem to remember the price being around $6 when it was announced as part of the summer (2013?) release.

edit: this was the original listing from 2013 - Brooklyn Sorachi Ace / 750mL / 7.6% / $4.85

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

spinrsx wrote:I don't believe it, it has actually happened! (I've been waiting for this for over a year now..)

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
$9.95

although I seem to remember the price being around $6 when it was announced as part of the summer (2013?) release.

edit: this was the original listing from 2013 - Brooklyn Sorachi Ace / 750mL / 7.6% / $4.85
Hmm... that's quite a hike. While a portion of that is likely attributable to the decline in the Canadian dollar, that certainly doesn't explain a 100% price hike.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

It was $10 in Syracuse NY when I bought some recently, so the price is reasonable I suppose.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
spinrsx wrote:I don't believe it, it has actually happened! (I've been waiting for this for over a year now..)

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
$9.95

Hmm... that's quite a hike. While a portion of that is likely attributable to the decline in the Canadian dollar, that certainly doesn't explain a 100% price hike.
That original price seemed really low at the time. And as we've seen, prices often change between announcement and release for the seasonal programs. So I would've been very surprised if it had actually come in at that price point.

Even at $9.95, I'll be buying it. Great beer!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

midlife crisis wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new

LAKE OF BAYS NHLA GERRY CHEEVERS OKTOBERFEST ALE
LCBO 400580 | 750 mL bottle
Price $ 11.95 (!?)
A bit late out of the gate. That is, what, our eighth different Ontario marzen this year?
I had a bottle of this last night, and I'd say that it's a stretch to call it a "Marzen".

That's not to say it's a bad beer. I actually quite enjoyed it. But it's bigger (8% abv) and sweeter than a traditional Marzen. More of an "Imperial Marzen", maybe?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

GregClow wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
$9.95

That original price seemed really low at the time. And as we've seen, prices often change between announcement and release for the seasonal programs. So I would've been very surprised if it had actually come in at that price point.

Does anyone know if it is brewed fresh or been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a year?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

this is back..

BEAU'S STRONG PATRICK
Canada | Beau'S All Natural Brewing
LCBO 329144 | 600 mL | $ 7.85

new

HOWE SOUND LAGER
Canada | Howe Sound Brewing
LCBO 387597 | 6x355 mL | $ 13.70

TCB

Post by TCB »

ercousin wrote:
GregClow wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Hmm... that's quite a hike. While a portion of that is likely attributable to the decline in the Canadian dollar, that certainly doesn't explain a 100% price hike.

Does anyone know if it is brewed fresh or been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a year?

The Sorachi Ace is fresh.

This product needs considerable rework before it reaches the LCBO in order to be compliant and with the current exchange rate the $9.95 price tag is a good value for consumers imo.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Sorachi Ace sounds pretty good, I'll for sure try to get a few. Bottle re-fermented saison with champagne yeast. I like the sound of those rare hops, added post fermentation; overall flavor 'lemon curd' effect.

Would this keep a year or two or are the hops that fragile?
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I had a bottle that was over a year old and it was still fantastic
Belgian wrote:^ Sorachi Ace sounds pretty good, I'll for sure try to get a few. Bottle re-fermented saison with champagne yeast. I like the sound of those rare hops, added post fermentation; overall flavor 'lemon curd' effect.

Would this keep a year or two or are the hops that fragile?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

TCB wrote:[This product needs considerable rework before it reaches the LCBO
just the label needs to say 'strong beer' and have some french on it? Or something else?

nickw

Post by nickw »

spinrsx wrote:
TCB wrote:[This product needs considerable rework before it reaches the LCBO
just the label needs to say 'strong beer' and have some french on it? Or something else?

Maybe the Ace of Diamonds card on the label needs to be swapped out for something that doesn't promote gambling?!

(said *mostly* tongue-in-cheek, but not entirely)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

Saison Autumne
—LCBO#: 402842 | 375 mL bottle
$4.95

French Press Vanilla Stout
—LCBO#: 400572 | 473 mL can
$2.95

Red Rocket Spiced Coffee Stout
—LCBO#: 399881 | 473 mL can
$3.25

Samuel Adams Winter Lager
—LCBO#: 354381 | 6 x 355 mL bottle
$13.65

Marston's Oyster Stout
—LCBO#: 457663 | 500 mL bottle
$3.50

and we lost a good one:

Dieu Du Ciel! Derniere Volonte
—LCBO#: 331413 | 4 x 341 mL bottle
$12.15
Product Discontinued*

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

spinrsx wrote:
and we lost a good one:

Dieu Du Ciel! Derniere Volonte
—LCBO#: 331413 | 4 x 341 mL bottle
$12.15
Product Discontinued*
The 4 pack of Rosée D'hibiscus was here before this one came in. Any chance another DDC 4 pack will replace Derniere Volonte? Maybe even Moralité or Aphrodisiaque?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Was a rumour about peche coming back, so maybe that