Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Just for comparisons sake, it seems like duchesse is about 6.50 most online sites. Not including state taxes, I guess?

Works out to about 135 bucks usd a case vs 70 CAD for...convert that 70 to US and you have 52 and change!

All things considered, were getting this beer from anywher between half an almost 2/3rds cheaper!

I REALLY don't get the BOs pricing these days.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

JeffPorter wrote:I REALLY don't get the BOs pricing these days.
This is par for the course. LCBO sells premium imported (especially European) beer cheaper than just about anywhere. This is probably because of their ability to make large orders, combined with an absent desire to optimize profit from this relatively small part of their business.

US craft prices at the LCBO have spiked lately, likely because of the exchange rate. Still KBS, Jolly Pumpkin and some other US craft releases have been equal or cheaper than buying south of border, once your do a currency conversion.

Eg, Total Wine in the US, (the Walmart of liquor stores) sells Orval and KBS for US$5.99 per bottle (CDN$7.95). We' get Orval for $3.45 and KBS was $7.25.

nelson

Post by nelson »

It's pretty weird to me. I can buy a Duchesse De Bourgogne for $2.95, which has been naturally soured and aged for years, shipped across the ocean, then sold here.

Or I can buy a kettle soured bottle of Jelly King which brews as fast as a normal beer, for $7.50. Granted The bottle is bigger, but that's still $4.95 for 330ml.

I do like both beers a lot, but it's hard to justify the Jelly King in cases like these.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Ditto for Jacobins. I think a lot of it has to do with economies of scale. The established Euro breweries have been doing the same recipes for decades, and tend to offer a very limited variety of beers. Bellwoods is really still an upstart and brews multiple styles and experimental variations.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

To me the Jelly King is a lot more 'fresh' and sessionable, so there's little comparison in style. We are so lucky to have Jelly and Ju Tsu locally on tap. Jacobins and Duchesse are great but they are not as much my thing... but are so reasonably-priced they could be used for a Belgian Carbonnade beef stew which calls for a deep and rich and/or sour ale.

The Elvis Juice was also pretty good I must say.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:To me the Jelly King is a lot more 'fresh' and sessionable, so there's little comparison in style. We are so lucky to have Jelly and Ju Tsu locally on tap. Jacobins and Duchesse are great but they are not as much my thing... but are so reasonably-priced they could be used for a Belgian Carbonnade beef stew which calls for a deep and rich and/or sour ale.

The Elvis Juice was also pretty good I must say.
i like using Roch 10 for my stoefvles.
*shrugs*

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
Belgian wrote:To me the Jelly King is a lot more 'fresh' and sessionable, so there's little comparison in style. We are so lucky to have Jelly and Ju Tsu locally on tap. Jacobins and Duchesse are great but they are not as much my thing... but are so reasonably-priced they could be used for a Belgian Carbonnade beef stew which calls for a deep and rich and/or sour ale...
i like using Roch 10 for my stoefvles.
*shrugs*
No apologies or shrugs required, that is a major step up from the Trois Pistoles I generally use and which is freaking amazing, and used to be so cheap.
Flemish sour browns and reds are sort of the Burgundies of Belgium so these just happen to be stew-friendly beers. If you use a rich sweet BSA you ned to add some cider vinegar to balance anyway... it's all good for the stoefvles...
In Beerum Veritas

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

For those who may have missed it before and may still be interested in BA stouts in the dead heat of summer, the LCBO appears to have received a (large) new shipment of KBS, which is showing stock just about everywhere.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

gjkerr wrote:For those who may have missed it before and may still be interested in BA stouts in the dead heat of summer, the LCBO appears to have received a (large) new shipment of KBS, which is showing stock just about everywhere.
Thanks for the tip, might grab a couple since I was out of country when it first came in.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

shucks, there goes the trade value, lol

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Thanks for the heads up just grabbed two and trying it for the first time now. Delicious!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GtownRandy wrote:shucks, there goes the trade value, lol
I was just thinking that if Orval were not recurring item at the LC it would have some pull in trading circles. Now we rinse our teeth with Rochefort 10 and never talk about how great it is and how many we have squirreled away to last us until the next big score.

^ Same would happen with Westvleteren I believe, we care a ton more when we can't get something.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Belgian wrote:^ Same would happen with Westvleteren I believe, we care a ton more when we can't get something.
Absolutely. So I'm wondering the same thing about this second, apparently large, release of KBS. Will it be greeted with indifference, and if so will the tall foreheads at LC be baffled as to why it flew off the shelves the first time but not the second?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Is this a different vintage of kbs? We had '16 before correct? This new stuff is '17?

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:Is this a different vintage of kbs? We had '16 before correct? This new stuff is '17?

No same vintage, BB 20.12.2017

Fair bit was in Hamilton area and it actually lasted longer than last time. I think people don't pay that much attention in the summer.

I hemmed and hawed and finally caved and bought some more yesterday.