Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Post by Guybrush »

I walked into The Beer Store, (you guys remember going there back in the day, right? Not that we go there anymore...) and saw a 6-pack of Granville Island's "Lions Winter Ale". I hadn't heard anyone on here talk about it, so I thought I'd let you all know it's here.

Also TBS's website indicates there is a 12-pack Winter Mingler mixer from Granville with the Lions Winter, English Bay Pale, Lager, and Maple Cream Ale. Sounds interesting! Although Ratebeer says the Lions Winter Ale is the best rated beer they sell under their umbrella-ella-ella-ella, eh, eh, eh.

Then I walked into an LCBO and found "Puddicombe Pear Cider", made from 100% Ontario apples, and only 3 ingredients listed: pears, sugar, and sulphites. At 6.5% alc. I thought I'd buy one or three, and am happy to note they are delicious, and not too sweet!

Next time i stumble upon some new listings that I haven't seen talked about on the ol' bartowel, I'll make sure to note them here so we can all keep pace, outside of the usual Winter release, and Christmas Spectacular Release!

Cheers!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

I always enjoyed the Lion's Winter Ale back when I was getting into craft beer in BC and always found it something that 'nominal beer drinkers' enjoyed as well, with some obvious vanilla flavorings. Interested to try it again many years later to see what I think... still has good memories for me.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

thanks for the heads up!

brew-san

Post by brew-san »

ritzkiss wrote:I always enjoyed the Lion's Winter Ale back when I was getting into craft beer in BC and always found it something that 'nominal beer drinkers' enjoyed as well, with some obvious vanilla flavorings. Interested to try it again many years later to see what I think... still has good memories for me.
Similar story for me, had it years ago on a trip to Vancouver on a tour of the brewery. Have been hoping that it'd be brought to Ontario (unchanged) ever since I spotted the offering the Pale Ale (and later the Hefe). Got to taste it at the Food and Wine Expo and it was as good as I remmebered it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Some kind of Product Stats & Alerts function on BT would be useful.

A way to know when newest or most desirable products are out.

However this discussion forum is not RateBeer AKA 'Beer Stat Central', so maybe a sprawling, unending BT thread will do the trick even if it gradually becomes impossible to search & collate the info.

Or better yet - you just update the lead post with the most popular, current and relevant data! Yes it means following the thread and deleting /revising some old crap on the lead post once in a while, so people don't have to navigate 80 other rambling posts in the whole thread.

Just an idea!
In Beerum Veritas

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Belgian wrote:Some kind of Product Stats & Alerts function on BT would be useful.

A way to know when newest or most desirable products are out.

However this discussion forum is not RateBeer AKA 'Beer Stat Central', so maybe a sprawling, unending BT thread will do the trick even if it gradually becomes impossible to search & collate the info.

Or better yet - you just update the lead post with the most popular, current and relevant data! Yes it means following the thread and deleting /revising some old crap on the lead post once in a while, so people don't have to navigate 80 other rambling posts in the whole thread.

Just an idea!
That is such a great idea that I nominate you to manage and maintain said thread.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Isn't this what Drinkvine is for?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

andrewrg wrote:Isn't this what Drinkvine is for?
thats what i thought

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

slow clap...

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

kafercrazy wrote:
slow clap...
+1000

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Ya, well I'm on drinkvine, and they didn't tell me about some of those beers, because they are on The Beer Store's website and not offered through the LCBO! Bet you didn't think about that!?

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

I've noticed drinkvine can be relatively slow putting up seasonal releases. Does anyone know how the site works? Does each release need to be input by hand? Does the LCBO supply an API to access their database?

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

cmadd wrote:I've noticed drinkvine can be relatively slow putting up seasonal releases. Does anyone know how the site works? Does each release need to be input by hand? Does the LCBO supply an API to access their database?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lcbo+api&l=1

:wink:

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

NRman wrote:
cmadd wrote:I've noticed drinkvine can be relatively slow putting up seasonal releases. Does anyone know how the site works? Does each release need to be input by hand? Does the LCBO supply an API to access their database?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lcbo+api&l=1

:wink:
Yea, I knew as soon as I submitted that I should have just looked it up myself. :oops:

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

How come no one told me they have Rogue Dead Guy Ale in Bombers?!?! WITH GLOW IN THE DARK LABELS?? Well they do! And I bought one!

Also, I saw they have Railway City Brewing's "Honey Bee'lixir" in swing-top bottles, 650mL i think. I tried one of their 500mL bottles straight from the brewery this past summer, and... well... let's just say I'm not going to buy one of those swing-tops I saw at the store.