Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

beerstodiscover wrote:I can't imagine Unibroue making anything less than great for their 25th.
Well I couldn't imagine it, but now I know better. This beer is undrinkable. I can't even recall the last beer I drain poured, but I couldn't get through 10 oz. of this. It tastes like cherry Halls with a bitter kick. Quite a let down.

Admittedly the description sounded odd. The lack of listed ingredients made me suspicious. But I bought it based on the brewery's reputation. Sorry to anyone he heeded my call and bought this!

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I enjoyed it, but was underwhelmed coming in with higher expectations. Cherry felt a bit synthetic (to be fair, not the biggest cherry-flavour fan), and profile was a bit harsher than I would've expected. My brother said it tasted like chocolate, and my mom said chocolate and fruit. I'm guessing it's just unbalanced, and needs 6mo-1yr on it to mellow out.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

People need to stop brewing beer with cherries. It's by far the worst fruit to use. I, as well as so many other people I've talked to about it agree... the vast majority of the time your beer just ends up tasting medicinal. Like Halls, as the person said above... or just cherry flavoured cold medicine. Unless your beer is a sour... keep cherries the hell out of there.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I haven't sampled too many cherry beers but Bellwoods 3MTM is one of my favourite all time stouts. I thought the raspberry version entered cough medicine territory. TDD's Le Coq also has a nice sweet cherry pie flavour. Seeing some reviews, seems a lot of people liked the Unibroue 25e.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Blasphomet wrote:People need to stop brewing beer with cherries. It's by far the worst fruit to use. I, as well as so many other people I've talked to about it agree... the vast majority of the time your beer just ends up tasting medicinal. Like Halls, as the person said above... or just cherry flavoured cold medicine. Unless your beer is a sour... keep cherries the hell out of there.
I enjoy almost any cherry beer. But agree it can go awfully wrong a lot of the time! no risk, no reward....when done right, cherry beers of any style are beautiful. Now if we can stop people from using guava....bleh.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I had a nearly four-year-old Quelque Chose in 2010, it was a gorgeous beast. The bottle almost opened itself, so much pressure and little carbonation but the blooming cherry flavours and tartness were wonderful. I assume that retired Unibroue beer is not profitable.
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

the Niagara Montmorency Cherries that Collective Arts, Brickworks and Nickel Brook use are pretty good.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:I had a nearly four-year-old Quelque Chose in 2010, it was a gorgeous beast. The bottle almost opened itself, so much pressure and little carbonation but the blooming cherry flavours and tartness were wonderful. I assume that retired Unibroue beer is not profitable.
no...it has to do with the cherries provided. think it was Lindemans and it was a blend of cherry beer with a Unibrou beer. they're now owned by other larger breweries and i was told that the relationship was severed shortly after their acquisitions .

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

JaseWescott wrote:the Niagara Montmorency Cherries that Collective Arts, Brickworks and Nickel Brook use are pretty good.

And GLB for Harry Porter. Same cherries...Pretty yummy beer.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

I not so secretly love Mort Subite kriek, even though people shun it for tasting medicinal. I'm really bummed that it disappeared from the LCBO a couple years ago, even though it was really creeping up in price by the end of its run.

Can't the LCBO just give us one decent kriek year round?

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

JeffPorter wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:the Niagara Montmorency Cherries that Collective Arts, Brickworks and Nickel Brook use are pretty good.

And GLB for Harry Porter. Same cherries...Pretty yummy beer.
Bellwoods uses them too in Farmageddon and a couple other beers I guess these Cherries are getting around!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

spinrsx wrote:and this:

Collective Arts IPA #5
LCBO#: 552448 | 473 mL can
$4.95?!
Looks like something fell through with the No. 5 as its no longer listed on the LCBO website and isn't mentioned on the brewery site either.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/collec ... a-5/552448
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

distr0

Post by distr0 »

cratez wrote:

Collective Arts IPA #5
$4.95?!
Looks like something fell through with the No. 5 as its no longer listed on the LCBO website and isn't mentioned on the brewery site either.

this was posted today and mentions it - http://collectiveartsbrewing.com/winter-beer-releases/

" Releasing in bars, restaurants, LCBO + USA, Western Canada: February, 2018"

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Yeah I never heard about any IPA# 5. Usually they post upcoming stuff on instagram... but I haven't seen anything.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Collective Arts Raspberry Milkshake IPA with Habaneros.. this should be.. interesting

distr0 wrote:
cratez wrote:

Collective Arts IPA #5
$4.95?!

this was posted today and mentions it - http://collectiveartsbrewing.com/winter-beer-releases/

" Releasing in bars, restaurants, LCBO + USA, Western Canada: February, 2018"