Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

LAKE OF BAYS & NHLA JOHNNY BOWER CHINA WALL VIENNA DARK LAGER
LCBO 369348 | 750 mL bottle

Price $ 11.95

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

A 750ml bottle of a Vienna lager? For $12??? :roll:
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

These guys never cease to amaze me with their over priced mediocrity.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I know a portion of that is going to the NHLPA veterans fund but yeah that is ridiculous
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

spinrsx wrote:LAKE OF BAYS & NHLA JOHNNY BOWER CHINA WALL VIENNA DARK LAGER
LCBO 369348 | 750 mL bottle

Price $ 11.95
Lake of Bays "Top Shelf" Lager: $5.18/L.

Lake of Bays Vienna Lager: $15.93/L.

But, as everyone will surely know, 7% Vienna Lagers usually cost three times more than 5% Canadian Lagers. So totally reasonable. They had to ship all that water from Vienna. That's the only way to make it. Duh.

Edit: and they are both part of the NHL collaboration thing, so I cannot imaging much more is going to charity.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

groulxsome wrote:7% Vienna Lagers usually cost three times more than 5% Canadian Lagers. So totally reasonable. They had to ship all that water from Vienna. That's the only way to make it. Duh.
I wonder if Gary Gillman or somebody could comment on the Viennization of our local brewing water VS the common practice of importing kegs of water from Vienna to make the beer. I believe 'the waving of rabbit's foot' is somehow involved (could be good info.)
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:A 750ml bottle of a Vienna lager? For $12??? :roll:
Ontario brewers are taking a page from Ontario wine makers - taking decent products and completely over-charging...

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Not on the 'BO site yet, but Nutcracker was on the shelves at Liberty Village tonight. Grabbed a couple bottles. 5.8% (stronger than I remember...?) and $5.95 for 650 ml.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:A 750ml bottle of a Vienna lager? For $12??? :roll:
Ontario brewers are taking a page from Ontario wine makers - taking decent products and completely over-charging...
Yes it's too bad the price is giving all their business away to Europe and South America.

I once hoped for a real 'everyman' local wine culture instead of a snobocracy based in boring white-collar yacht owners... another bottle of Meritage, sir?
In Beerum Veritas

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

velovampire wrote:Not on the 'BO site yet, but Nutcracker was on the shelves at Liberty Village tonight. Grabbed a couple bottles. 5.8% (stronger than I remember...?) and $5.95 for 650 ml.
Now that is good news.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Winter Beard / Chocolate Cranberry Stout

What is Muskoka doing with it this year? Hearing reports that the 'BO has 2012 bottles?! Did they make a '13?

Are they switching to releasing it as an aged product or did they simply have too much left over?

Anyone shed some light?

It's always been a bit pricey but have enjoyed it...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Droogy wrote:What is Muskoka doing with it this year? Hearing reports that the 'BO has 2012 bottles?! Did they make a '13?

Are they switching to releasing it as an aged product or did they simply have too much left over?

Anyone shed some light?

It's always been a bit pricey but have enjoyed it...
Greg has your answers:
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2013/11 ... -editions/

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

LOOOOOOL!

"Uhhhh, we couldn't sell most of our below average, extremely overpriced 'imperial' stout' last year in Ontario because people finally caught on to the fact that it is below average and overpriced, so we're just going to say it's 'cellar aged' to make it sound like it was in the basement of our brewery when really it's just been sitting in the backs of stores and at the headquarters and shit.".

"Oh, and on top of that, we've also decided to jack the price yet another dollar this year".

Wasn't this stuff like $8.95 just two or three years ago?

If they don't at least re-package this shit absolutely beautifully, and is literally just the same bottles from last year, it will be Pure LOLocaust! But even if so... I hate paying for packaging, like I thought we were doing with their swing-top bottles... until they corked them and still molested us with their seasonal prices for 'meh' beers.

If it wasn't for Mad and Twice as Mad, I'd tell Muskoka to just fuck off completely.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Blasphomet wrote:If they don't at least re-package this shit absolutely beautifully, and is literally just the same bottles from last year, it will be Pure LOLocaust! But even if so... I hate paying for packaging, like I thought we were doing with their swing-top bottles... until they corked them and still molested us with their seasonal prices for 'meh' beers.
It's in a fancy box, don't know if the packaging inside the box is just last years.

It's really odd that they decided to sell this year's outside of Ontario and last year's here. I have friends back in NL who get to try this years, when I can only try last year's cellared. Isn't kinda part of the point of cellaring to be able to try different vintages? Like a 2013 with a 2012? Are they going to alway release a year later in Ontario? Do you cellar the pre-cellared 2012 from this year in hopes of getting a pre-cellared 2013 next year or are they just going to change their minds and sell the 2014 leaving a hole in the "vintage" vertical lineup? What about those who cellared the 2012 already and hoped to try it along side a fresh 2013? I haven't seen many breweries do something quite like this... and it seems for good reason.

Also, the swingtops were/are great for homebrew and I miss them.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

It just reeks of idiocy for an extremely overpriced beer that isn't even that great to begin with.