Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:Not sure I love the CBS. Very sweet. Tooth chattering sweet. Headache inducing sweet. Much preferred this year's BCBS.
Well then you might really not like this one that just hit the LCBO:
Omnipollo Prodromus Deep Fried Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk Caramel Bar is a brand new 12% abv “chewy imperial stout” brewed with vanilla, cocoa nibs, and cookie dough that was deep-fried over a charcoal fire.
Omnipollo PRODROMUS Can design:
ChrisK wrote:I can't confirm this officially but I heard long ago that the (CBS ageing) barrels have significantly more than "trace" amounts of syrup ieft in them. It could have actually come from a Founders rep since I went to a few Founders events with the owners in attendance but I can't be certain. As for the preservative, potassium sorbate, it's used to inhibit mold and yeast which makes sense to me because I doubt they want any leftover yeast in the beer to ferment the abundant maple sugars in the bottle.
Arresting the fermentation to preserve those sugars (and maple flavor) makes total sense, and I still wasn't sure whether if they added more syrup besides the residual amount in either case. It's not important as I can certainly taste it and it is not overpowering at all so they did hit the perfect balance, to me. It's definitely a sipper though.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

midlife crisis wrote:Not sure I love the CBS. Very sweet. Tooth chattering sweet. Headache inducing sweet. Much preferred this year's BCBS.
Hmmm...this comment has me concerned as I didn't find the draft version to be overly sweet at all, but still haven't cracked into my bottles yet. Fingers crossed I don't hate the bottled version! Lol.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Nickel Brook Cheeky Bastard Stout listed at TBS

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:
Hmmm...this comment has me concerned as I didn't find the draft version to be overly sweet at all, but still haven't cracked into my bottles yet. Fingers crossed I don't hate the bottled version! Lol.
Already posted about this, but I gotta agree with midlife. Love the mouthfeel of the stuff, but I find I struggle to get through the full 12oz.

Might just be me though, I also want the damn coffee to get out of the way and I LOVE coffee. I’m hoping if I leave my remaining bottles for a bit, those toasty and barrel notes will come through a bit more.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Nickel Brook Cheeky Bastard Stout listed at TBS
we will wait for reviews to see if another infected batch of beers from them
Reliable Beer Critic

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

northyorksammy wrote:
First time I ever recall reading "infected" and "Nickel Brook" in the same sentence. But thanks for your concern.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:
First time I ever recall reading "infected" and "Nickel Brook" in the same sentence. But thanks for your concern.
I've had bottles of their cuvee be infected, as well as the first 11.05 variant.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:
I just had an infected Half Bastard in my beer advent calendar.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JeffPorter wrote: Already posted about this, but I gotta agree with midlife. Love the mouthfeel...but I find I struggle to get through the full 12oz.
Interesting. I should note that my comment wasn't entirely accurate as I had a few sips of a bottle that I gave to a guest, and there again I didn't find it to be overly sweet. And I'm a person who can't stand super sweet beers. Oh well, worst case scenario I'll return my bottles if I reach the same conclusion as you guys. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: Already posted about this, but I gotta agree with midlife. Love the mouthfeel...but I find I struggle to get through the full 12oz.
Interesting. I should note that my comment wasn't entirely accurate as I had a few sips of a bottle that I gave to a guest, and there again I didn't find it to be overly sweet. And I'm a person who can't stand super sweet beers. Oh well, worst case scenario I'll return my bottles if I reach the same conclusion as you guys. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. :lol:
I find this concern overblown - but then I differentiate merely sugary from sweet. Dessert wines can have tons of big complex flavors and don't occur as being sugary.
ST Creme Brulee IS literally a sugary beer. CBS though has real bourbon, chocolate and maple syrup flavor, so as long as there's complexity I can hang in with the sweetness even if it's more of a sipper. It's more of a brandy snifter-recommended Founders beer for sure, a few oz at a time is actually good.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote: CBS though has real bourbon, chocolate and maple syrup flavor, so as long as there's complexity I can hang in with the sweetness even if it's more of a sipper...a few oz at a time is actually good.
This was basically my impression of the draft, and I thought the bourbon/chocolate/maple flavours were nicely balanced by strong roasted malt and coffee notes (i.e. not uber-sweet).

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

CBS is a sweet beer for sure, but nothing that got my teeth chattering. I've been through a few bottles already, admittedly at a leisurely pace.

I'd say almost every other maple beer I've had is cloying, and I love maple syrup. The worst offender was the highly touted Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, which I probably wouldn't have finished if it hadn't cost so much! And Sawdust City's Maple Butter Tart Ale would work poured on pancakes. Then again, so would CBS.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Worst maple one I've tried(admittedly not many as I don't like sweet to much) was the flying monkeys one,city and colour I think. I shared with a friend, and neither of us could finish our glass. Poured both out, as well as the remeainder of the 750ml bottle. I'll most likely pass on CBS if I see it. I'd rather spend that 8$ on1 or 2 beers I know I'll enjoy

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

spinrsx wrote: Unibroue 25th Anniversary
LCBO#: 548826 | 750 mL bottle
$9.95
I may have to grab a couple of these. I can't imagine Unibroue making anything less than great for their 25th. I can't find the ingredients, but I'm guessing it's brewed with cherries.

Brewer's description:
To celebrate our twenty-fifth anniversary, we created a unique sumptuous ale and renewed with our tradition of brewing Unibroue anniversary beers. Our master brewer unleashed his creativity to dream up this special brew, with this idea in mind: ‘’you can’t have an anniversary without a cake’’. This anniversary brew offers roasted malt aromas, dark chocolate flavors and delicate fruity accents that lead to a slightly tart finish. Our liquid ‘’Black Forest’’ is bound to offer a tasting experience made up of pure delight. Let’s toast to this celebration.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Back to CBS for a moment, found myself in Beertown Waterloo this afternoon and was slightly surprised to see it on tap. In fact, the gal working the bar claimed that the Beertown chain received 15 of Ontario's 30 kegs. Anyway, I did like it better on tap. Could appreciate the complexity more, for whatever reason.