Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
On deck is the omnipollo Nebuchadezner. Haven’t had this since the last time it was in lcbo about 5-6 years ago and I loved it.
This one brewed in East York, mind you. It's quite good.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

sofakingdrunk wrote:it’s getting harder and harder to find these West Coast leaning beauties(that made me fall in love with IPA’S) in a sea of haze-on haze- on haze.
Isn’t this the truth! I think Lone Pine is the only thing I can find that’s WC and fresh. Octopus Wants to Fight was in that wheelhouse too, but it’s been replaced by Karma Citra recently. And as much as KC is tasting fantastic right now, it’s missing that WC bitterness I still yearn for.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:it’s getting harder and harder to find these West Coast leaning beauties(that made me fall in love with IPA’S) in a sea of haze-on haze- on haze.
Isn’t this the truth! I think Lone Pine is the only thing I can find that’s WC and fresh. Octopus Wants to Fight was in that wheelhouse too, but it’s been replaced by Karma Citra recently. And as much as KC is tasting fantastic right now, it’s missing that WC bitterness I still yearn for.
Mad Tom
Boneshaker
Headstock

all those are still west coasty

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

matt7215 wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Mad Tom
Boneshaker
Headstock

Was never a Mad Tom fan. Boneshaker is a malt bomb. Headstock is still nice but I can never find fresh.

And don’t get me wrong, I love the hazy stuff too, but it’s the fact that the hazy has replaced the WC stuff instead of just adding to it, that bothers me. And that’s mainly an LCBO issue, as breweries try to chase the sku’s because the BO drops a product as soon as the sales decline.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Was never a Mad Tom fan. Boneshaker is a malt bomb. Headstock is still nice but I can never find fresh.

And don’t get me wrong, I love the hazy stuff too, but it’s the fact that the hazy has replaced the WC stuff instead of just adding to it, that bothers me. And that’s mainly an LCBO issue, as breweries try to chase the sku’s because the BO drops a product as soon as the sales decline.
Cameron's Jurassic IPA is west coasty and quite nice.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

matt7215 wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Mad Tom
Boneshaker
Headstock

Yep, I agree. Can never find mad Tom or bone shaker that isn’t old though. Headstock, yes I can......but I don’t enjoy headstock nearly as much as others seem to, doesn’t do it for me. The Cameron’s Jurassic I’m digging right now though.

maybethewater

Post by maybethewater »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Isn't OWTF year round now?

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

maybethewater wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
yes but this year's batch of Karma Citra sucked compared to previous years. hops seem dialed back to 9, no resinous feeling on the palate. Boneshaker is still Boneshaker, Nickel Brook subs hop additions in Headstock.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

JaseWescott wrote:
maybethewater wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
yes but this year's batch of Karma Citra sucked compared to previous years. hops seem dialed back to 9, no resinous feeling on the palate. Boneshaker is still Boneshaker, Nickel Brook subs hop additions in Headstock.
I found the cannings of Karma have been a little uneven this year. For instance I had some Sep 11 cans that were excellent, but there was a slightly earlier date that seemed to be lacking aroma and carbonation. I've noticed this sort of thing before with GLB, but I usually let it slide since their output is generally excellent.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA - Tallboy cans. Was excited till I checked the stamp.

Looks May brewing, so 4-5 months old?
Last sixer I bought here was 3 months "fresh," I didn't mind it. Love American breweries.
In Beerum Veritas

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Belgian wrote:Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA - Tallboy cans. Was excited till I checked the stamp.

Last sixer I bought here was 3 months "fresh," I didn't mind it. Love American breweries.
Every time I'm at the LCBO I eye this beer and the Jai Alai from Cigar City, but I just can't bring myself to buy IPAs that were canned in May.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote:
I found the cannings of Karma have been a little uneven this year. For instance I had some Sep 11 cans that were excellent, but there was a slightly earlier date that seemed to be lacking aroma and carbonation. I've noticed this sort of thing before with GLB, but I usually let it slide since their output is generally excellent.
I haven't had a good can of Karma Citra yet this year. They have all been rather dull. I thought the recipe or my palette had changed. :-? I did have it on tap on the weekend and it was as excellent as usual, so it must be something to do with batches or packaging.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I've had good cans, but none held a candle to the lone pint I had from a keg. Man that was tasty.

Makes me suspect the kegs have been refrigerated and the cans, or at least the cans I got, were not.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Tapsucker wrote:
seangm wrote:
I haven't had a good can of Karma Citra yet this year. They have all been rather dull. I thought the recipe or my palette had changed. :-? I did have it on tap on the weekend and it was as excellent as usual, so it must be something to do with batches or packaging.

I’ve had maybe, 8-12 cans so far.....and the two I had last night were the only two that I’ve thought were really good. Others were just kind of average.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Orval_Al wrote:
Belgian wrote:Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA - Tallboy cans. Was excited till I checked the stamp.

Every time I'm at the LCBO I eye this beer and the Jai Alai from Cigar City, but I just can't bring myself to buy IPAs that were canned in May.
Agreed, but 3+ month old IPAs at LCBO aren't unique to American breweries.

I bet if someone conducted an audit of date codes at an avg LCBO, one would find 9/10 hoppy beers would be more than 3 months old ... and who knows how old the stuff without dates is!
@markhamwhisky