Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

700 bottles of KBS in Windsor..

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

midlife crisis wrote:Quite an amazing beer really. One of the few beers that is great both fresh and aged. Are there others in that category?
Saison Dupont? Unless the bottle skunks after a period in storage.
And I'm also really enjoying this fresh Orval. I agree it is one of those rare Fresh(er) ≥ Aged beers that you have to throw out the age before beauty notion - it just has levels of greatness. Will have to try one of my 2010s I have stashed away.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Kingston's stock never made it to shelf. One day it was on order, the next it was gone.

SKiB

Post by SKiB »

I was lucky enough to grab a 4 pack of KBS (at $7/bottle) from Masonville in London earlier in the week and I just finally got a chance to open one up and I must say I am VERY impressed by this beer. I have a friend in Michigan who has hooked me up with KBS in the past and although it has always been good, I always found it to be a little boozy and almost too heavy on the bourbon notes but whatever they did for this years release has resulted in perfection. The roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and bourbon all come together very well without any flavour dominating over the other. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with zero alcohol detected whatsoever. This years version really is worth the hype in my opinion. Because of the steep price point I doubt I'll seek out more but I'm certainly glad I have 3 remaining (and one of last year's from my buddy in Michigan... might be interesting to do a side to side comparison at some point)

Just a sidebar, I received a phone call from "the beer guy" at Masonville a couple of days ago to let me know that my reservation was ready for pick up, but after informing him that I had already been in the day before to pick some up he responded by asking if I was "one of the lucky ones" that grabbed a 4 pk for $7. Apparently he was off the day they received their shipment and it sounds like quite a few 4 pks went out the door at the $7 price point. It would be interesting to know how many of these cases occurred province wide. My guess is probably quite a few hence the discrepancies in the online inventory vs. what people are actually reporting is on the shelves.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

got some GLB octopus WTF today in georgetown. bad news though, its pretty old, canned all the way back on tuesday :wink:

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

SKiB wrote:I was lucky enough to grab a 4 pack of KBS (at $7/bottle) from Masonville in London earlier in the week and I just finally got a chance to open one up and I must say I am VERY impressed by this beer. I have a friend in Michigan who has hooked me up with KBS in the past and although it has always been good, I always found it to be a little boozy and almost too heavy on the bourbon notes but whatever they did for this years release has resulted in perfection. The roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and bourbon all come together very well without any flavour dominating over the other. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with zero alcohol detected whatsoever. This years version really is worth the hype in my opinion. Because of the steep price point I doubt I'll seek out more but I'm certainly glad I have 3 remaining (and one of last year's from my buddy in Michigan... might be interesting to do a side to side comparison at some point)

Just a sidebar, I received a phone call from "the beer guy" at Masonville a couple of days ago to let me know that my reservation was ready for pick up, but after informing him that I had already been in the day before to pick some up he responded by asking if I was "one of the lucky ones" that grabbed a 4 pk for $7. Apparently he was off the day they received their shipment and it sounds like quite a few 4 pks went out the door at the $7 price point. It would be interesting to know how many of these cases occurred province wide. My guess is probably quite a few hence the discrepancies in the online inventory vs. what people are actually reporting is on the shelves.
Can confirm I only got charged $7.25 for the 4-pack, in all honesty I didn't notice until I got home since I bought a bunch of other stuff. It's certainly going to mess up stock numbers, although a few thousand bottles is pretty low volume for the LCBO, so I wonder if they'll even notice the loss.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

Samuel Adams Fresh As Helles Lager
LCBO#: 498196 | 6 x 355 mL bottle
$14.15

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

seangm wrote:Can confirm I only got charged $7.25 for the 4-pack, in all honesty I didn't notice until I got home since I bought a bunch of other stuff. It's certainly going to mess up stock numbers, although a few thousand bottles is pretty low volume for the LCBO, so I wonder if they'll even notice the loss.
The haphazard method by which they introduce stock does not prevent these losses, and so far they haven't considered it is important enough to fix this way of doing things so I'm guessing it just doesn't bother them a lot.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:Can confirm I only got charged $7.25 for the 4-pack, in all honesty I didn't notice until I got home since I bought a bunch of other stuff. It's certainly going to mess up stock numbers, although a few thousand bottles is pretty low volume for the LCBO, so I wonder if they'll even notice the loss.
The haphazard method by which they introduce stock does not prevent these losses, and so far they haven't considered it is important enough to fix this way of doing things so I'm guessing it just doesn't bother them a lot.
Good point. I've been charged for an entire 6-pack when buying a single before, so I don't feel so bad anyway. I'll call it even.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Belgian wrote:I'm guessing it just doesn't bother them a lot.
When you're a monopoly clearing almost $2 billion in profit last year, there isn't much sense in worrying about the small potatoes.

Beer priced per bottle, but shipped in four- or six-packs is such a tiny fraction of the business, it's an understandable blind spot. Still it wouldn't take much for someone to flag the product and remove the cardboard packs, which would end their losses.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I think most of the stores (those on the ball, anyway) did this after the first couple of days. The ones I was in that received KBS did so, anyway.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Or they could just price everything per bottle...

Revolutionary, I know..

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

New listings at TBS

Barnstormer YYZ Lager
Brock St Irish Red
Goose Island Four Star Pils
Mad and Noisy Lagered Ale
Moosehead Pale Ale

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Can't wait to try the moosehead, it's rated 8 on ratebeer!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:New listings at TBS

Barnstormer YYZ Lager
Brock St Irish Red
Goose Island Four Star Pils
Mad and Noisy Lagered Ale
Moosehead Pale Ale

What a load of shit