Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

This is true. In the last couple of years I have turned into a religious date-code checker. The breweries who put a clear, easy to read date stamp on their cans are to be commended and deserve support IMO. As a recent example (out of many) I wanted to try Sons of Kent 8 Track XPA, which was recommended in another thread. One store's offerings were brewed in May (!), and if you dug into the case hidden behind, were only slightly better -- June. But this weekend a different local store had a nice fresh batch -- brewed on Sept. 12. It was very nice.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
dale cannon wrote:I thought there was still a reasonable amount of hop flavour and aroma in the jai alai. It was an enjoyable $3.75 investment.

I’m also enjoying this. You are right, still some good hip flavour in it. I’m happy to have it, as it’s getting harder and harder to find these West Coast leaning beauties(that made me fall in love with IPA’S) in a sea of haze-on haze- on haze.

On deck is the omnipollo Nebuchadezner. Haven’t had this since the last time it was in lcbo about 5-6 years ago and I loved it.
No one has mentioned Red Racer? Still a great hoppy beer, and an amazing value.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Orval_Al wrote:
Belgian wrote:Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA - Tallboy cans. Was excited till I checked the stamp.

Looks May brewing, so 4-5 months old?
Last sixer I bought here was 3 months "fresh," I didn't mind it. Love American breweries.
Every time I'm at the LCBO I eye this beer and the Jai Alai from Cigar City, but I just can't bring myself to buy IPAs that were canned in May.
I tried Jai Alai and it's still a drinkable ale but totally faded.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

midlife crisis wrote:This is true. In the last couple of years I have turned into a religious date-code checker. The breweries who put a clear, easy to read date stamp on their cans are to be commended and deserve support IMO. As a recent example (out of many) I wanted to try Sons of Kent 8 Track XPA, which was recommended in another thread. One store's offerings were brewed in May (!), and if you dug into the case hidden behind, were only slightly better -- June. But this weekend a different local store had a nice fresh batch -- brewed on Sept. 12. It was very nice.
This is spot on in everything stated: I too am a date-code checker and will buy fresher not-as-favourite beers over older favourite beers; I too wanted to (re)try 8 Track and could only find old stuff; I too finally found a can from Sept and agree it was quite nice. So nice in fact, I will be purchasing more.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Orval_Al wrote:
Belgian wrote:Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA - Tallboy cans. Was excited till I checked the stamp.

Last sixer I bought here was 3 months "fresh," I didn't mind it. Love American breweries.
Every time I'm at the LCBO I eye this beer and the Jai Alai from Cigar City, but I just can't bring myself to buy IPAs that were canned in May.
It's too bad these beers get slowed down in the system. The Omnipollo beers made HERE were I think July and August, not quite as delayed.. but still far from ideal. The fairly high price we pay for IPA makes a case for wanting greatness,

I often just go by Godspeed for my fridge staples, Yamayama American IPA hits me just right sometimes, and it hasn't been sitting around so thats probably a big part of it.
In Beerum Veritas

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Belgian wrote:
Orval_Al wrote:

It's too bad these beers get slowed down in the system. The Omnipollo beers made HERE were I think July and August, not quite as delayed.. but still far from ideal. The fairly high price we pay for IPA makes a case for wanting greatness,

I often just go by Godspeed for my fridge staples, Yamayama American IPA hits me just right sometimes, and it hasn't been sitting around so thats probably a big part of it.
That is a lovely west coast IPA.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Count me in the camp that prefers the West Coast IPA style to the New England.

Surprised that Ransack the Universe hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I missed it).

Tonight, I am enjoying Rainhard Diamond Dancer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Count me in the camp that prefers the West Coast IPA style to the New England.
The Cigar City Jai Alai is actually pretty good at five months old. Glad I tried it.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Belgian wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:Count me in the camp that prefers the West Coast IPA style to the New England.
The Cigar City Jai Alai is actually pretty good at five months old. Glad I tried it.
Agreed. I had it end of September and was totally fine with it.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Nita has released an advent calendar at the Beer Store. $120 for 24 of various Ontario brewers. A tad pricey, but hey tis the season...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The 3 Fonteinen Cuvee Armand & Gaston Geuze is now showing up...

Anybody tried this one? Can't wait to pop it.

In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I have, it's wonderful.

Looks like they're all gone. :cry:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:I have (tried 3f A&G) it's wonderful.
Looks like they're all gone. :cry:
QUEENS QUAY & YONGE - 41

EGLINTON & LAIRD - 19

MONTREAL ROAD AND VANIER PARKWAY - 12

QUEEN & COXWELL (THE BEACH) - 9
In Beerum Veritas

Gleemer Imports

Post by Gleemer Imports »

Belgian wrote:The 3 Fonteinen Cuvee Armand & Gaston Geuze is now showing up...

Anybody tried this one? Can't wait to pop it.

They aren't showing up: they've been here for a number of months (online only). :)

We sold 90% of the initial order, so we asked that they get moved to stores so they can find proper homes.

This is the batch that had honey added at bottling and is tasting great now and will likely be even better in 2+ years. Likely won't get honey lambic in again, so......
It's bone dry but has honey "essence" to it. A sense of sweetness on top of the citrus pith that A&G has. Perfect now, tonnes of room to grow. Cellared a bunch myself and will revisit in 2 years.
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

This is interesting. There's a new listing for Radical Road 8 Track IPA. But there is already an existing listing for Sons of Kent 8 Track XPA.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... msoac%253D