Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:CIGAR CITY MARGARITA GOSE
LCBO 15604 | 4x355 mL can
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES

Easy going, should probably be served very cold, like many trendy examples is very tart and lemony and a bit salty, and not so much funk or complexity or interest. As with Ciders, it's hard to find a good Gose with identity and character. I do like the acidic aftertaste.

I enjoyed this one, really likes it on those very hot days.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

I enjoyed Marshal Zhukov RIS (first time trying it). West Avenue Heritage Dry is a really good local cider 8) second place goes to Two Blokes - Hex Press Dry Cider (Bellwoodsish label)

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I haven't been in an LCBO since ~Feb, but I've got a gift card to spend. Anything good/new/interesting lately?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Flying Dog-Gonzo porter is absolutely fantastic.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Flying Dog-Gonzo porter is absolutely fantastic.
Like Hunter S. Thompson...Gonzo Imperial Porter is deep and complex. This turbo charged version of the Road Dog Porter is mysteriously dark with a rich malty body, intense roasted flavors, and a surprisingly unique hop kick. With Gonzo weighing in at 9.2% ABV, it will bite you in the ass if you don’t show it the proper respect. IBU’s: 85

^ pretty much this.

What a beer. Definitely nostalgic to the '90s / 2000's USA craft beer revolution that took off everywhere including (eventually) here. The 'more of everything' idea is the bold roast on top of the full but not treacly malt which is balanced by an almost orangey citrus-peel hop & slightly sharp resiny bitter bite.

I associate this overall flavor with Elmwood Village Buffalo about 2010 & the many bottle runs I made to NY in the late 2000's. Though so much has evolved since, some things don't need to change.

This beer seems almost of another time and trend (it has more fun audacity & excess than many beers we see now) but it's still amazing. The classic West Coast IPA hopping is notable.
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Flying Dog-Gonzo porter is absolutely fantastic.
Like Hunter S. Thompson...Gonzo Imperial Porter is deep and complex. This turbo charged version of the Road Dog Porter is mysteriously dark with a rich malty body, intense roasted flavors, and a surprisingly unique hop kick. With Gonzo weighing in at 9.2% ABV, it will bite you in the ass if you don’t show it the proper respect. IBU’s: 85

^ pretty much this.

What a beer. Definitely nostalgic to the '90s / 2000's USA craft beer revolution that took off everywhere including (eventually) here. The 'more of everything' idea is the bold roast on top of the full but not treacly malt which is balanced by an almost orangey citrus-peel hop & slightly sharp resiny bitter bite.

I associate this overall flavor with Elmwood Village Buffalo about 2010 & the many bottle runs I made to NY in the late 2000's. Though so much has evolved since, some things don't need to change.

This beer seems almost of another time and trend (it has more fun audacity & excess than many beers we see now) but it's still amazing. The classic West Coast IPA hopping is notable.
deep and complex is one way of describing him :lol:

will keep my eyes peeled for Flying Dog Gonzo Porter. Harviestoun Old Engine Oil was just listed in 330 ml cans

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... -oil-16694

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil drinking very nicely . Dry and bitter like St. Ambroise, with a softer mouthfeel and bit more heft. I do wish the cans were bigger.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

beerstodiscover wrote:Harviestoun Old Engine Oil drinking very nicely . Dry and bitter like St. Ambroise, with a softer mouthfeel and bit more heft. I do wish the cans were bigger.
Looking forward to this, I enjoyed their golden ale.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:Harviestoun Old Engine Oil drinking very nicely . Dry and bitter like St. Ambroise, with a softer mouthfeel and bit more heft. I do wish the cans were bigger.

I’m not sure I’ve had this base beer before....but I really enjoy it through the Ola Dubh series they put out. Looking forward tonit

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Schneider Aventinus Tap 9 Eisbock listed at LCBO

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... bock-17767
sofakingdrunk wrote:

I’m not sure I’ve had this base beer before....but I really enjoy it through the Ola Dubh series they put out. Looking forward tonit
the last one at the LCBO I believe was Harviestoun Raspberry Old Engine Oil. do you have an Untappd account? it's pretty great at tracking beers.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

I didnt realize that Steam Whistle has been producing Fat Tire in Canada for New Belgium. Now they are adding New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA 7% to their roster, available now at the LCBO.

https://lfpress.com/life/food/brews-new ... th-new-ipa

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

GtownRandy wrote:I didnt realize that Steam Whistle has been producing Fat Tire in Canada for New Belgium. Now they are adding New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA 7% to their roster, available now at the LCBO.

https://lfpress.com/life/food/brews-new ... th-new-ipa

Steam whistle contract brew but also have a couple new core beers. Fat Tire I didn't mind but Voodoo Ranger isn't very good and it's not hoppy at all :cry:

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well! We just wanted to let you know that we are pleased to announce a Belgian Beer Discovery Box (6-pk) now at the LCBO#: 16688. It features beers from Boon, Brasserie Dupont and Het Anker. We are convinced you will enjoy the variety of beers from Belgium's top Family Brewers. The LCBO website is currently posting incorrect information about the sizes. They are as follows:

Boon Oude Geuze and Framboise (1 bottle of each they are 375 ml)
Brasserie Dupont Moinette Brune and Saison Dupont Cuvée Dry Hopping (1 bottle of each they are 330 ml)
Het Anker Gouden Carolus Tripel and Classic (1 bottle of each they are 330 ml)

Let us know how you like this and share with your friends. We are thrilled by the assortment and hope you will be too!

Best wishes to everyone!
Roland + Russell
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Roland + Russell wrote:Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well! We just wanted to let you know that we are pleased to announce a Belgian Beer Discovery Box (6-pk) now at the LCBO#: 16688. It features beers from Boon, Brasserie Dupont and Het Anker. We are convinced you will enjoy the variety of beers from Belgium's top Family Brewers. The LCBO website is currently posting incorrect information about the sizes. They are as follows:

Boon Oude Geuze and Framboise (1 bottle of each they are 375 ml)
Brasserie Dupont Moinette Brune and Saison Dupont Cuvée Dry Hopping (1 bottle of each they are 330 ml)
Het Anker Gouden Carolus Tripel and Classic (1 bottle of each they are 330 ml)

Let us know how you like this and share with your friends. We are thrilled by the assortment and hope you will be too!

Best wishes to everyone!
Roland + Russell
Pretty neat box. Any chance LCBO can general list Saison Dupont?

Also, since no one seems to be bringing in Orval...can you please do it?!? It is another beer that should be general list at the LCBO.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Saison Dupont is now general listed. If you do not see it, ask for it. At $2.95 per bottle you will not find a better beer!
LCBO#: 551697

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell