Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Beer Devil IPA
Niagara Brewing Company
6.5%
473 ml Can $3.00

Wild North Midnight Bock
Can 473 ml
$3.05

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

DeMarco wrote:Is there any finest kind in toronto? I'm about to give up on it.
Longtime lurker here, finally signed up partly due to actually finding Finest Kind(!). I can confirm I picked some up at the Donlands and O'Connor Beer Store last Sunday- they had two full cases at the time, website says there are only 3 6-packs left as of today. I'll also say that it's drinking really well; this is the first time I've tried it so I don't know if it's even better brand new, but for a 2+ month old IPA, it's pretty fantastic.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

seangm wrote:
DeMarco wrote:Is there any finest kind in toronto? I'm about to give up on it.
Longtime lurker here, finally signed up partly due to actually finding Finest Kind(!). I can confirm I picked some up at the Donlands and O'Connor Beer Store last Sunday- they had two full cases at the time, website says there are only 3 6-packs left as of today. I'll also say that it's drinking really well; this is the first time I've tried it so I don't know if it's even better brand new, but for a 2+ month old IPA, it's pretty fantastic.
Thanks man! So close to my work. I kept checking the duff/bloor location since it's near my house.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I picked up a case in kingston today. Bottles marked BB March 9th, 2016, but the 2-4 box is labelled bottled September 9th...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Masterplan wrote:I picked up a case in kingston today. Bottles marked BB March 9th, 2016, but the 2-4 box is labelled bottled September 9th...
So six months between bottling and BB - what's wrong with that?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

midlife crisis wrote:
Masterplan wrote:I picked up a case in kingston today. Bottles marked BB March 9th, 2016, but the 2-4 box is labelled bottled September 9th...
So six months between bottling and BB - what's wrong with that?
While I doubt it is still in 'best' condition come January, and is still really good now, I wasn't complaining, just informing people that the boxes are labelled with the bottled date and the bottles with the best before date.

Also, does anyone know if this will be a regular stock item or a one off? As it's easily better than anything not labelled Great Lakes...

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Just got back from QQ. 2013 Rodenbach vintage is out! I don't remember seeing this on any seasonal lists. Also quite a bit of Unibroue 17 Grand Reserve.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

admviolin wrote:Just got back from QQ. 2013 Rodenbach vintage is out! I don't remember seeing this on any seasonal lists. Also quite a bit of Unibroue 17 Grand Reserve.
I've always like Rodenbach reasonably fresh. It'll be nice comparing the 2013 with the 2012. For anybody that didn't already know, the vintage refers to the year brewed, not the year bottled.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Since Rodenbach is pasteurized anyways, I'd argue there isn't much point in aging it. The vintage might be different over time though.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

admviolin wrote:Since Rodenbach is pasteurized anyways, I'd argue there isn't much point in aging it. The vintage might be different over time though.
From experience, the sweetness decreases over the first couple years.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Agree with others that the Smuttynose is drinking great. No need to sit on the fence with this one, just go get some. Also agree that GLB's (fresh) hoppy offerings are better than Finest Kind, but for widely-distributed retail brands, the Smuttynose is tops among the IPAs available right now.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now

BEAU'S NEW LANG SYNE
Canada | Beau'S All Natural Brewing
LCBO 448621 | 750 mL | $ 16.00

probstk

Post by probstk »

AugustusRex wrote:http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcb ... ber=442475

BCBS Vanilla Rye is listed
$35 for a bomber?? Holy crap on a cracker! :o

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

probstk wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcb ... ber=442475

BCBS Vanilla Rye is listed
$35 for a bomber?? Holy crap on a cracker! :o
It was $28 USD last year on Black Friday. so.. yeah. its equal if not a wee bit better.