Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Masterplan wrote:Is it me, or is SN PA not worth the bother? I've had it numerous times in the US and never come away impressed. Maybe 5-10 years ago it would have been something, but now with GLB, muskoka and others pushing the IPA limit, it always struck me as a pedestrian beer...?
It is a Pale Ale, not an IPA. So compare it to Anchor Liberty or FM Hoptical Illusion or Mill St Tankhouse or Great Lakes Canuck, rather than beers pushing the IPA limit
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

icemachine wrote:It is a Pale Ale, not an IPA. So compare it to Anchor Liberty or FM Hoptical Illusion or Mill St Tankhouse or Great Lakes Canuck, rather than beers pushing the IPA limit
Very true. My impression of the bottled version is that it was pleasant, with a nice rough hop edge. I would like to see more of the Burton tang element that I thought I detected in the draught version. Not inclined to seek the bottles out again. My current favourite in this category is Old Tomorrow.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

I'm with most of you on this. I grabbed a couple of sixers and I wasn't impressed. It's a good tasting beer, nice and smooth but not what I was expecting. A friend brought over Boogie Monster and Witchshark, and those were both a more pleasing hoppy beer. Yes they both are IPA's but I expected a bit more from SN. Even Jutsu had more hoppy depth than the SN.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

There's better and fresher local pales available, namely Naughty Neighbour and GLB Canuck. I grabbed a sixer of the SNPA and wasn't particularly impressed, so I likely won't buy it again unless we get fresher dates. That said, it's still good to see it here.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

GLB Canuck is one of the nicest beers from Ontario I've had in a long time for what it is. Fantastic. I love that beer.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I get fresh Naughty Neighbour at the LCBO by union st 1-2 weeks old and it amazing fresh so no need to buy 2-3 month old SNPA. If it comes fresh I will try it then.
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Good advice. NN really is terrific when fresh, agreed. May have to revisit for the long weekend. It's been a while.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

beerguykw wrote:I'm with most of you on this. I grabbed a couple of sixers and I wasn't impressed. It's a good tasting beer, nice and smooth but not what I was expecting. A friend brought over Boogie Monster and Witchshark, and those were both a more pleasing hoppy beer. Yes they both are IPA's but I expected a bit more from SN. Even Jutsu had more hoppy depth than the SN.
Those beers are Imperial IPAs - completely different style!

The great thing about SNPA is that you can usually find it on tap in just about any shithole bar you find yourself in in the US

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

A wrote:
beerguykw wrote:I'm with most of you on this. I grabbed a couple of sixers and I wasn't impressed. It's a good tasting beer, nice and smooth but not what I was expecting. A friend brought over Boogie Monster and Witchshark, and those were both a more pleasing hoppy beer. Yes they both are IPA's but I expected a bit more from SN. Even Jutsu had more hoppy depth than the SN.
Those beers are Imperial IPAs - completely different style!

I wouldn't say they are "completely different" styles. They are all in the "Pale Ale" family, one having more Hops added than the other. I did say that I knew they were IPA's and that I wasn't trying to draw a direct comparison. It wasn't like I was comparing a Pale ale to a Stout or something. As mentioned above, there are plenty of Pale Ales (Canuck) that offer more hop profile than the SN.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Orval showing stock.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm finding Goose Island Goose IPA disturbingly enjoyable, half way through a case. Has a good solid basic hop profile, a no-BS price & never abused by jumping gorillas or LCBO warehouses.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I'm also enjoying the goose IPA. An enjoyable tasty drink for when you just want to throw a few back and not think too much. Also probably safe enough to offer to your "normal beer" drinking friends

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I'm also enjoying the goose IPA. An enjoyable tasty drink for when you just want to throw a few back and not think too much. Also probably safe enough to offer to your "normal beer" drinking friends
Did I miss the boat on this stuff?? I don't even see it listed on the LCBO website anymore.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ING_PRICE=*

GOOSE ISLAND IPA
LCBO 423327 | 6x341 mL bottle
Price $ 13.75

IPA_Lover wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I'm also enjoying the goose IPA. An enjoyable tasty drink for when you just want to throw a few back and not think too much. Also probably safe enough to offer to your "normal beer" drinking friends
Did I miss the boat on this stuff?? I don't even see it listed on the LCBO website anymore.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

IPA_Lover wrote:

Beer store 46.50 for 24 or 25.50 for 12...also available by keg.