Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Anybody know if Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw is coming back this year?

I didn't see it on any Christmas/Winter release list, but I'm holding out hope it will just show up unannounced like the Unibroue 17

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

walz22 wrote:Anybody know if Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw is coming back this year?

I didn't see it on any Christmas/Winter release list, but I'm holding out hope it will just show up unannounced like the Unibroue 17
I sure hope so...

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Also bought a bottle of Old Tomorrow's Monty’s Golden Ryed Ale.

I was okay, not a big fan of oak favour though.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

Masterplan wrote:
walz22 wrote:Anybody know if Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw is coming back this year?

I sure hope so...
Can't find exact source (think it was Twitter) but LCBO confirmed CVDKB is not coming back this season. But as we all know we should take that with a grain of salt.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Beer'n'gin wrote:
Masterplan wrote:

I sure hope so...
Can't find exact source (think it was Twitter) but LCBO confirmed CVDKB is not coming back this season. But as we all know we should take that with a grain of salt.
Hmmm... That is not good news. I guess I'll have to look south of the border.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Napalm Frog wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:BIG RIG WINTER COPPERBOCK
LCBO 443408 | 473 mL can

Price: $ 2.75
Does anyone know if this is this the same beer as Big Rig's Bock Me Gently that appeared at Cask Days?
Confirmed it at least has the same name, it's in stock at a few places now (picked it up from Dundas/Bloor). Heads-up, it's not scanning, and manual entry doesn't work. If they text search BIG RIG, it's under COPPERBOCK.
Thanks - finally got around to picking up a few cans yesterday. They still haven't resolved the scanning issue so checking out was a bit of an ordeal.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

It really is a shame that Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw isn't returning. It has been one of the highlights of recent Christmas releases. I was looking to do a vertical with some friends one of these years after adding a few more vintages. Oh well.

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever tried the Cuvee Van De Keizer Rood? I can't say that I have but given how much I enjoy the Blauw and Gouden Carolus' standard tripel I'd really like to try it one day.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Provost Drunk wrote:It really is a shame that Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw isn't returning. It has been one of the highlights of recent Christmas releases. I was looking to do a vertical with some friends one of these years after adding a few more vintages. Oh well.

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever tried the Cuvee Van De Keizer Rood? I can't say that I have but given how much I enjoy the Blauw and Gouden Carolus' standard tripel I'd really like to try it one day.
I have, its good but not as good as the Blue IMO, here is my RB review

"750 ml bottle from a local KW group order. pours clear yellow with a small white head. minimal carbonation. aroma of orange zest, tropical fruit, peppery yeast, alcohol. the flavour is the same but is huge and mouth filling. off dry super long finish. really quite nice, im glad i have more"

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Anyone try the 2013 Rodenbach Vintage? I'm enjoying it much more than 2012. Great stuff.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

BakaGaijin wrote:Anyone try the 2013 Rodenbach Vintage? I'm enjoying it much more than 2012. Great stuff.
agreed, this blend is very drinkable.
Reliable Beer Critic

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

northyorksammy wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Anyone try the 2013 Rodenbach Vintage? I'm enjoying it much more than 2012. Great stuff.
Though technically not a "blend" as its all from the same foeder. ;)

Interesting that Rodenbach put "ripens with age" on the bottle and there were discussions here last year and the general thought was that it does not 'ripen'.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

BakaGaijin wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:
Though technically not a "blend" as its all from the same foeder. ;)

Interesting that Rodenbach put "ripens with age" on the bottle and there were discussions here last year and the general thought was that it does not 'ripen'.
From my experience with Vintage 2010, the sweetness fades leaving the subtle flavours more noticeable.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

Midlands Butter Tart Ale
LCBO#: 448886 | 473 mL can
$3.25

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

AugustusRex wrote:

From my experience with Vintage 2010, the sweetness fades leaving the subtle flavours more noticeable.
Glad to hear that as sweetness is the only complaint I have with 2013.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So is the Lake Effect in LCBO stores? Drinkvine doesn't seem to be working well these days.