Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Fat Tug in cans and it's drinking very nicely right now!

I'm not sure if anyone already mentioned this, but the remaining bottles of Founders CBS have been reduced to $6.65 across the province. Quite a steal. Same with the Cascade Apricot at $16.95.

roland

Post by roland »

beerstodiscover wrote:Remaining bottles of Founders CBS have been reduced to $6.65 across the province. Quite a steal.
Respectfully disagree. The sale started over a month ago and it seems LCBO still can't get rid of the stuff at that price. I found the CBS very good, but not great, so $6.65 is still too high for me. With the September expiry date I think a further reduction will be coming. They did that with Backwoods Bastard at $3 for a bottle. Damn, I wish that one is avaliable.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

roland wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:Remaining bottles of Founders CBS have been reduced to $6.65 across the province. Quite a steal.
Respectfully disagree. The sale started over a month ago and it seems LCBO still can't get rid of the stuff at that price. I found the CBS very good, but not great, so $6.65 is still too high for me. With the September expiry date I think a further reduction will be coming. They did that with Backwoods Bastard at $3 for a bottle. Damn, I wish that one is avaliable.
Seconded. Also, they've reduced the remaining Modern Times stock to $2.45 a can. They really shouldn't even be selling those beers anymore. They're ancient.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Orval_Al wrote:Seconded. Also, they've reduced the remaining Modern Times stock to $2.45 a can. They really shouldn't even be selling those beers anymore. They're ancient.
Ancient Times... the exciting new project offshoot from LCBO's Imperial Pale Ale division!

(Actually, can't say I've had old IPA from the LC in some time.)
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

roland wrote:

$3 for Backwoods Bastard is a win :D

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

roland wrote:

Totally wish Backwoods was a regular listing. So good

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

roland wrote:
I bought a ridiculous amount of Backwoods when they cleared it out. Coincidentally my purchase of tylenol rose in the weeks that followed.

The LCBO should pull the remaining Modern Times stock. Old and priced a little high at the start, but its over 12 months old at this point, isn't it? Maybe the gose can hold up a little, but the pale? Its odd how they can be so strict about so many things, and then so lax about clearing out stock before it gets too old.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Bobsy wrote:
roland wrote:
I bought a ridiculous amount of Backwoods when they cleared it out. Coincidentally my purchase of tylenol rose in the weeks that followed.

The LCBO should pull the remaining Modern Times stock. Old and priced a little high at the start, but its over 12 months old at this point, isn't it? Maybe the gose can hold up a little, but the pale? Its odd how they can be so strict about so many things, and then so lax about clearing out stock before it gets too old.
I've bought a few of the Fruitlands recently. It was decent, but the flavours were clearly subdued. The last one I had tasted like tart water, so I won't be buying it again. Tried the Pale Ale and it was just awful at this point. The LCBO doesn't give a shit though. Just move the product, right?! I can't imagine Modern Times would be thrilled to know first impressions for many Canadians are now based on their year-old beer.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Cascade Apricot marked down to 11.85 at Cedarbrae LCBO. Other than this find today the store is one of the worst for craft selection.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

beerstodiscover wrote: Fat Tug in cans and it's drinking very nicely right now!
Thanks for the heads up. I went and grabbed a half case and it is indeed drinking great. Glad to see fresh(ish) cans here, as Fat Tug is one of the best WC IPAs made in Canada. Like most beers in the style, I prefer drinking this only slightly chilled – sometimes even at room temperature – as it brings out all the lovely aromatics. My guess is this current batch has another week or two to shine before the hop profile fades.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

cratez wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote: Fat Tug in cans and it's drinking very nicely right now!
Thanks for the heads up. I went and grabbed a half case and it is indeed drinking great. Glad to see fresh(ish) cans here, as Fat Tug is one of the best WC IPAs made in Canada. Like most beers in the style, I prefer drinking this only slightly chilled – sometimes even at room temperature – as it brings out all the lovely aromatics. My guess is this current batch has another week or two to shine before the hop profile fades.
Deleted - my mistake - Fat Tug not Fat Tire.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:[I bought a ridiculous amount of Backwoods when they cleared it out. Coincidentally my purchase of tylenol rose in the weeks that followed...
:lol: Thanks for the chuckle, mate! I wish I had grabbed a few more myself. Consequences be damned...
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

new Raspberry Berliner Weisse @ TBS in singles that is a must pick up if you're a fan of Raspberry Uber.. called Abandoned at the Altar by Herald Haus in Stratford, ON.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JaseWescott wrote:Cigar City Jai Alai listed @ LCBO

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... Xj683dFyUk
Thanks for this.

A quick update on Fat Tug - the BB February 2020 cans are drinking absolutely ridiculous (resinous with bright and juicy citrus flavours and a bone dry, solidly bitter finish) and cause one to consider whether this is the single best WC IPA in Canada and one of the best in North America as well. Should be good for another couple or few weeks so drink up while it's still fresh.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott