Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

beerguykw wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:
beerguykw wrote:I've had the Norseman, and it's one of the best Eisbock's I've tried.
Did u live in germany?
Not sure what living in Germany has to do with drinking Eisbock's but no, I didn't.
Let me rephrase his question: "How many eisbocks have you had before?"

It's important to provide some context for your claim that "it's one of the best Eisbock's I've tried." Whether you've had 2 or 20 or 200 different eisbocks before will add some weight to your claim.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

liamt07 wrote:
beerguykw wrote:
northyorksammy wrote: Did u live in germany?
Not sure what living in Germany has to do with drinking Eisbock's but no, I didn't.

It's important to provide some context for your claim that "it's one of the best Eisbock's I've tried." Whether you've had 2 or 20 or 200 different eisbocks before will add some weight to your claim.
Well Steam Whistle is the best beer I've EVER had. Come at me, bro!
;)

Lets not be so testy (myself included). This isn't BA.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

FEUO wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
beerguykw wrote: Not sure what living in Germany has to do with drinking Eisbock's but no, I didn't.

;)

Just trying to provide some context/clarification :)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I tried the Norseman at Sacred Oak. My pour I found to be unbearably hot and I ended up sipping maybe a quarter of it and pouring the rest out. I'd call it the worst Eisbock I've ever had, and I've had a lot of eisbocks. Like at least 4!

On the other hand, I poke around RB and untappd and I see a lot of people who were at the same event call it nicely balanced with a nicely hidden level of heat. So I don't know what to say. Maybe my palate was way off? Maybe the bottle I got a pour from was off? It's a fun style that I wish was more readily available, so at the very least I applaud them for putting one out there.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

liamt07 wrote:
FEUO wrote:
liamt07 wrote: Let me rephrase his question: "How many eisbocks have you had before?"

;)

Just trying to provide some context/clarification :)
Well, I'd say roughly about 7. Including the schneider aventinus, which I felt was alright, but not great. I can understand the clarification requirement, however I didn't say its the "best ever" nor did I say it was better than any other. I didn't really think I needed to explain my rationale for stating it was a good beer, I was just throwing it out there to give it props; not looking to defend it to the death or anything. It's a good beer, that's all.

nickw

Post by nickw »

beerguykw wrote: I didn't really think I needed to explain my rationale for stating it was a good beer, I was just throwing it out there to give it props; not looking to defend it to the death or anything. It's a good beer, that's all.
Yes, this statement exactly.

Bush Pilot Brewing

Post by Bush Pilot Brewing »

northyorksammy wrote:12.75 a bit steep for a rookie brewery?
Aventinus 5.60 for 500 ml, imported
While it is flattering to be compared to such a recognized name, we would respectfully point out that the Norseman is a barrel aged eisbock.

No one is questioning the consumer's absolute and unquestionable privilege to decide whether ten months of aging (Norseman is fully aged, not blended) in-hard-to-get 20 to 25 year old Armagnac barrels is adding anything to this beer's character and profile.

However, there is a real cost, unfortunately rather high, that comes with this process. European craft brewers are all over the artisanal distilleries seeking high quality barrels, therefore driving the price up. Shipping and brokerage costs practically double the initial investment of barrel acquisition. Lastly, there is the tangible cost of storage and transfer, not to mention the "loss" of freezing a doppelbock to 14.5% ABV.

Needless to say, we are curious to hear about pricing levels for similar eisbock barrique offerings, on any market.

We are not arguing that you should like the Norseman, or to find it to be of great value - just saying that the last thing on our mind was to get rich on this beer. There is a higher cost of production associated with certain styles. Now, whether a rookie brewery should even attempt produce anything outside the framework of "basic" styles is an on-going discussion here in Ontario. We would be more than happy to be part of this discussion - in words and deeds.

Cheers!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bush Pilot Brewing wrote: Now, whether a rookie brewery should even attempt produce anything outside the framework of "basic" styles is an on-going discussion here in Ontario. We would be more than happy to be part of this discussion - in words and deeds.

Cheers!
I think it is great to see you guys continuing to push the boundaries with interesting styles and barrel aging. It is something we need more of in Ontario as many of our breweries shy away from this very thing. Stormy Monday was not for me, but maybe Norseman will be. I am not offended by the price (considering all the details) and will give it a try.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Bush Pilot Brewing wrote: Now, whether a rookie brewery should even attempt produce anything outside the framework of "basic" styles is an on-going discussion here in Ontario. We would be more than happy to be part of this discussion - in words and deeds.

Cheers!
I think it is great to see you guys continuing to push the boundaries with interesting styles and barrel aging. It is something we need more of in Ontario as many of our breweries shy away from this very thing. Stormy Monday was not for me, but maybe Norseman will be. I am not offended by the price (considering all the details) and will give it a try.
Well said, Bush Pilot guys. I will definitely give it a try too.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

+1 to this

*cough* LCBO Product Number 369348 - Lake of Bays China Wall Vienna Lager $11.95 per 750ml bottle *cough*
midlife crisis wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

Cheers!
Well said, Bush Pilot guys. I will definitely give it a try too.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

spinrsx wrote:+1 to this

*cough* LCBO Product Number 369348 - Lake of Bays China Wall Vienna Lager $11.95 per 750ml bottle *cough*
LOL, perfect timing. These guys are WAY out to lunch on their pricing. Doubt I will even buy one of their bottles again.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

saints_gambit wrote:Hofbrau, Black Oak, Barn Door, Lederhosen, Beau's, Creemore, Sam Adams, Mill Street.

I think the Lederhosen is better than the Creemore and I'm kind of surprised the same company released two specialty products in the same segment in the same quarter.
I tried the Rickards Lederhosen. It is excellent. I urge anyone who likes Marzens to try it with an open mind (or even better, taste it blind). I guess the sun will rise in the west tomorrow.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

nickw wrote:
beerguykw wrote: I didn't really think I needed to explain my rationale for stating it was a good beer, I was just throwing it out there to give it props; not looking to defend it to the death or anything.(Saying) It's a good beer, that's all.
Yes, this statement exactly.
I thought so too.
Bush Pilot wrote:(excerpt)We are not arguing that you should like the Norseman, or to find it to be of great value - just saying that the last thing on our mind was to get rich on this beer.
Classy response, we sometimes judge very quickly here on bartowel but we should appreciate the armagnac barriques and other production costs. I'd be curious to try it.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I beg of Bush Pilot to keep doing exactly what they are doing. One of the most exciting new breweries in Ontario for sure. Loved Stormy Monday, and loved it even more with a year on it.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Ukie wrote:Delirium Tremens listing at TBS now includes bottles.

$3.95 a bottle

$89.95 a case of 24

Not sure if actually in stock though
Picked some up in the Hamilton area today, best before June 10 2017.