Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

also new at TBS

Sawdust City Gateway Kolsch
Alcohol Content (ABV): 5.0%
Can 473ml $2.75

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

cheechonaleash wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:
cheechonaleash wrote: $5.25 for a tall boy?! :o
I had the same reaction, but it's actually cheaper per unit than the previous large bottle.

$5.25 for 473 mL = 1.110 cents/mL
$7.95 for 650 mL = 1.223 cents/mL
Interesting. Thanks for the math!
A decent beer, I'd buy it for $1 less, haha. Never had the chance to try the Bloody version (with raspberries), and haven't seen it pop up on tap this year...hope it does though.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

spinrsx wrote:listed on the site now too

ROGUE HOP & IPA
LCBO 405860 | 12x54 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES

they really butchered the format. 12 pack of 54ml bottles? And pressed SHIFT before the 7 key on the keyboard? Are the lcbo office staff allowed to drink at work?

northyorksammy wrote:Rogue 7 hop out tomorrow at Summerhill. 99 percentile.
I picked up a bottle today. It is "7 Hop IPA" (as Sammy said). No idea what LCBO site is getting at. It is a single 650 ml bottle. Mine has production date of Dec 23, and I would say it is still in fabulous shape. Enjoying it very much.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

midlife crisis wrote:
spinrsx wrote:listed on the site now too

ROGUE HOP & IPA
LCBO 405860 | 12x54 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES

they really butchered the format. 12 pack of 54ml bottles? And pressed SHIFT before the 7 key on the keyboard? Are the lcbo office staff allowed to drink at work?

northyorksammy wrote:Rogue 7 hop out tomorrow at Summerhill. 99 percentile.
I picked up a bottle today. It is "7 Hop IPA" (as Sammy said). No idea what LCBO site is getting at. It is a single 650 ml bottle. Mine has production date of Dec 23, and I would say it is still in fabulous shape. Enjoying it very much.
What is the "production date"?

Is it the Brew or Bottle?

Had one tonight, nice hop profile with a bit of an earthy flavour, but that might have been my imagination due to the farm label...

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

This is my favourite time of year at the LCBO because with all the boring and shit beer they bring in it allows me to stock up on some spirits. Bourbon, whiskey, scotch, etc...

Overall, outside of Smuttynose's reappearance on LCBO shelves, this winter has been incredibly lame. Overpriced OCBs and the odd interesting brew here and there. Rodenbach was nice, but honestly outside of that and the Smuttynose stuff, nothing memorable enough to worry about wanting to try again.

Spring hopefully has some nice stuff... summer will be typically boring, but that's cool... there is always enough quality stuff like Red Racer and Lone Pine to get me through the hot months.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Bellwoods always has new and interesting stuff...screw the LCBO..and Red Racer is so disappointing to me lately...Naughty Neighbor and fresh Headstock though has been a revelation
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I urge you guys to try 7 Hop (after I buy some more).

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Blasphomet wrote:This is my favourite time of year at the LCBO because with all the boring and shit beer they bring in it allows me to stock up on some spirits. Bourbon, whiskey, scotch, etc...
I had the day off work today and went into Summerhill to see if Peche had come out before showing stock online. It wasn't there and surprisingly, the shelves in the beer area were depressingly bare. There's gaping holes in the shelf displays even wine on the end caps. It was shocking to see, but I guess the Christmas, Winter and Mikkeller releases are all out of there.

6 units of Peche were in the system at Cooper St this weekend but I couldn't get down there this weekend and they're long gone now. Hopefully it arrives while it's still chilly outside.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

midlife crisis wrote:I urge you guys to try 7 Hop (after I buy some more).
Had this on tap recently and wasn't impressed, but then again the bar that I was at never showcases any beer in it's best light, so I'll give it another go, based on your enthusiasm alone. :wink:
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Interesting. I didn't know it was on tap in Ontario. Would be a cool H2H with Stone IPA. The most impressive thing about it (IMO) is the aromatics. I can only assume those might be diminished if it is served too cold on draught?

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

midlife crisis wrote:Interesting. I didn't know it was on tap in Ontario. Would be a cool H2H with Stone IPA. The most impressive thing about it (IMO) is the aromatics. I can only assume those might be diminished if it is served too cold on draught?
It's been on at the Bent Elbow a few times, to be honest I don't often look to see what's on the Rogue tap as there's always something else I'd rather have, however, I will say the 7 Hop has been the best I've tried from Rogue in quite a while. Haven't tried it from a bottle yet.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Bier Markt has the 7 Hop on tap as one of their Rogue seasonals...not sure if its on now....but have seen it there numerous times.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

DAURA DAMM LAGER 6 PK-B
LCBO 378711 | 6x330 mL bottle
Price $ 12.95
(gluten free)

and this is back:

DE WALLEN BARREL AGED SOUR FRAMBOISE
LCBO 357897 | 330 mL bottle
Price: $ 5.95

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ooo, I like De Wallen. I thought I would have to make a trip to the brewhouse to get some.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

mgmoney wrote:Bellwoods always has new and interesting stuff...screw the LCBO..and Red Racer is so disappointing to me lately...Naughty Neighbor and fresh Headstock though has been a revelation
Agree about Red Racer. Can't be bothered to trek it down to Bellwoods that often anymore though. There are outpricing themselves as well as far as I'm concerned. They need to move to 650ml bottles, big time.

Headstock is always great, and so is Lone Pine. I just don't like paying more for those than US beer or BC beer like Red Racer (which is also now up from 2.50 to 2.75. :( )