Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SKiB

Post by SKiB »

Picked up a can of the Collective Arts limited release Imperial IPA at Masonville in London today. I thought this was going to be a brewery release only so I was quite excited when I saw it. It's fairly pricey at $5.95 a can but I must admit it's drinking very nicely right now. I may even go back for 1 or 2 more. Canned Nov 21.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Had this last night too.. it's a good beer, but I won't buy more based on the price. I don't love it enough to justify spending almost twice as much as Karma Citra etc. on it

SKiB wrote:Picked up a can of the Collective Arts limited release Imperial IPA at Masonville in London today. I thought this was going to be a brewery release only so I was quite excited when I saw it. It's fairly pricey at $5.95 a can but I must admit it's drinking very nicely right now. I may even go back for 1 or 2 more. Canned Nov 21.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

spinrsx wrote:Had this last night too.. it's a good beer, but I won't buy more based on the price. I don't love it enough to justify spending almost twice as much as Karma Citra etc. on it

SKiB wrote:Picked up a can of the Collective Arts limited release Imperial IPA at Masonville in London today. I thought this was going to be a brewery release only so I was quite excited when I saw it. It's fairly pricey at $5.95 a can but I must admit it's drinking very nicely right now. I may even go back for 1 or 2 more. Canned Nov 21.
I think we're so used to cans being a less expensive format that when a price like this comes along, it seems high. However, if you framed it as $6 for a 500ml bottle of imperial IPA, it looks perfectly in line with the pricing we see for the seasonal releases, or even for some of the year-round offerings (Fat Tug is $6 for a bomber). Bolshevik Bastard is another can that looks pricy, but $5 for a pint of imperial stout isn't that bad when you think about it.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Why is Long Dark Voyage not in more stores yet?

ThomasHunter

Post by ThomasHunter »

Hopefully some Ten Fidy and Three Philosophers can end up in Hamilton or Burlington.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

ThomasHunter wrote:Hopefully some ...Three Philosophers can end up in Hamilton or Burlington.
How close are you to the Stoney Creek Rymal road store?

They have 24 bottles.

ThomasHunter

Post by ThomasHunter »

Ukie wrote:
ThomasHunter wrote:Hopefully some ...Three Philosophers can end up in Hamilton or Burlington.
How close are you to the Stoney Creek Rymal road store?

They have 24 bottles.
I don't live too far from that location and have been there a couple of times this month. I definitely will be making a stop there this afternoon. Thanks.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

ThomasHunter wrote:Hopefully some Ten Fidy and Three Philosophers can end up in Hamilton or Burlington.
The distribution has been terrible so far.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Anyone know the deal with the Oskar Blues beers? Specifically Dave's Pale Ale and Ten Fidy... there doesn't seem to much distribution yet. I went to Markham from Whitby to pick some up, because I was fearing there won't be more. Usually Pickering gets all the good stuff... they had G'Knight... but they don't have either of the others. Or Three Philosophers. Is their manager slacking or is there a lot more to be distributed? Anyone have any idea?

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Can anyone explain the hype to me about three philosophers? I mean, it's good, sure. It's not better than St Bernardus (which we have year round) or Rochefort 8 or 10. Just wondering.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Orval_Al wrote:Can anyone explain the hype to me about three philosophers? I mean, it's good, sure. It's not better than St Bernardus (which we have year round) or Rochefort 8 or 10. Just wondering.
I opened a bottle the other day and thought it was fantastic. Lots of cherry notes from the Kriek. The only other time I had it was from an old bottle and I was underwhelmed. This stuff and the LCBO is much fresher and worth picking up if you like cherries and quads IMO.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Blasphomet wrote: Is their manager slacking or is there a lot more to be distributed? Anyone have any idea?
Good luck trying to make sense of the disto patterns at the LCBO. I'm still waiting to grab a Prearis Quadrocino from the fall release. You can always call your local manager and have some ordered in for you.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Oscar blues pale ale and stout will be available at the Oakwood store in Niagara Falls soon.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Masterplan wrote:
ThomasHunter wrote:Hopefully some Ten Fidy and Three Philosophers can end up in Hamilton or Burlington.
The distribution has been terrible so far.
Ten Fidy distribution is small and concentrated in Toronto right now, but Three Philosophers is in 75 stores from Windsor to Ottawa!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Beyond the pale just announced that pink fuzz and aromatherapy will regulary be available in a few Toronto lcbos