Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:a slew of new additions to the lcbo today:
Oxbow Saison De Kuaska (online only)
Saison / Farmhouse Ale / $24.15 (500 mL bottle) / Maine, USA
A touch under $300 per case, but great reviews...
Looks do-able. I still can't figure how some brewers manage to make their stuff so expensive. I still like to not really know, as long as some of it gets to Ontariario.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Belgian wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:a slew of new additions to the lcbo today:
Looks do-able. I still can't figure how some brewers manage to make their stuff so expensive. I still like to not really know, as long as some of it gets to Ontariario.
Is it that they make it expensive or are they just cashing in on hype via supply and demand?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Masterplan wrote: Is it that they make it expensive or are they just cashing in on hype via supply and demand?
my quick 2 cents on this.
don't blame just the brewery.
the government and the LCBO (in practical terms, 2 separate entities looking to profit) take their taxes and/or mark-up on the beer.
there's also the business side. an agent has to make money for what they do. it's a volume-driven business, and doing one-off web orders really isn't a way to make a shitload of money. so there's (justifiable) mark-up there.
there's also inherent risk. you hope this will all sell out within the month. the LCBO doesn't really guarantee long-term (or even longer short term) warehouse space for all agents. i can't speak for Keep6 and i have no idea how long they can keep their items in the warehouse, but the big ol' LCBO can de-list your item after time, in which they literally have the right to confiscate all remaining goods.

it's a fucked up model and this is why a lot of european breweries have zero desire to have their beer in Ontario. too many hoops and headaches

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Masterplan wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Bobsy wrote:a slew of new additions to the lcbo today:
Is it that they make it expensive or are they just cashing in on hype via supply and demand?[/quote]

I think Oxbow does some tasty beers, but agree they're overpriced a bit. Was there last June in Portland and thought it was pricey there.
Looking at my receipt from their Portland location I bought a couple of bottles to go...paid $17.50 for a bottle of Saison de Kuaska and $12 for a bottle of Crossfade.

Jerk_Store

Post by Jerk_Store »

El Pinguino wrote: I think Oxbow does some tasty beers, but agree they're overpriced a bit. Was there last June in Portland and thought it was pricey there.
Looking at my receipt from their Portland location I bought a couple of bottles to go...paid $17.50 for a bottle of Saison de Kuaska and $12 for a bottle of Crossfade.
Was it worth the price? Didn't visit them, did Bissell, Foundation, Allagash and Austin instead. Going back this summer though. If it's not worth the price tag I won't bother. Thanks :)

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Jerk_Store wrote:
El Pinguino wrote: I think Oxbow does some tasty beers, but agree they're overpriced a bit. Was there last June in Portland and thought it was pricey there.
Was it worth the price? Didn't visit them, did Bissell, Foundation, Allagash and Austin instead. Going back this summer though. If it's not worth the price tag I won't bother. Thanks :)
Ya, they bottlingworks location or whatever they call it was good. Close to a few other spots near downtown. Tried a few beers, including their weird one made with live lobsters, which was actually tasty.

My main reason for choosing them (never made it to bissell or some others) was because they were the only place open a bit later on a Monday night....lots of breweries were closed on Mondays.

Overall slightly high prices, but the place had a very friendly and welcoming vibe, nice bartedners / servers and seems to put on some live music and events at times, so worth looking into ahead of time on your next visit since you've hit other spots already.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

El Pinguino wrote:
My main reason for choosing them (never made it to bissell or some others) was because they were the only place open a bit later on a Monday night....lots of breweries were closed on Mondays.
If you ever want disappointment (or at least to have your options reduced considerably), try vacationing in Vermont on a Monday ;)
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

New:

Same price as the DDC stout..

Dieu Du Ciel! Grande Noirceur
LCBO#: 491142 | 4 x 341 mL bottle
$13.75

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

Nickel Brook Cafe Bastardo
LCBO#: 499749 | 750 mL bottle
$16.95

Innis & Gunn Kith & Kin
LCBO#: 491605 | 330 mL bottle
$4.95

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

spinrsx wrote:new

$16.95

Innis & Gunn Kith & Kin
$4.95
Cafe is online only, icydk
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

weird, is this the first non-by-the-case beer that is available online but not in stores? Any reason why online vs. stores?
MatttthewGeorge wrote:

$16.95

Innis & Gunn Kith & Kin
$4.95

Lunardr0ne

Post by Lunardr0ne »

spinrsx wrote:weird, is this the first non-by-the-case beer that is available online but not in stores? Any reason why online vs. stores?
MatttthewGeorge wrote:

$16.95

Innis & Gunn Kith & Kin
$4.95

Looks like LCBO asked them to do online only? I just wish it had launched a week ago so I could have got it in same order as Old Rasputin and the Stone stouts.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So did the Stone RIS just sell like crazy or has it not seen it's full release yet? Pickering had both Xocoveza and Double Bastard so I was surprised no RIS.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

the cafe bastardo does not display as an online exclusive on the lcbo website?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Fresh cans of Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale were my local. Canned Jan 27 2017. Glad I held out on the first batch.