Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

alsiem wrote:
skootles wrote:I just had the Gingerhead Stout tonight (happy stout day!) and I didn't really like it too much. It reminded me a lot of spiced ales which I'm not fond of. I didn't have any trouble finishing it though, it just wasn't my kind of beer.
I found the spicing quite moderate and in balance with the chocolatey/roasted aspects of the beer. In short, a good stout with a some gingerbread spices in it.
+1 here.

It's less gingery than bready, blending well with the honest stout backbone and I think fans of the amazing Great Lakes Winter Ale will find this really worth a try!!!
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Masterplan wrote:
spinrsx wrote:look what's finally at TBS:

Smuttynose Finestkind IPA
Quantity: 6 × Bottle 355 ml Price: $15.00
Went to the beer store today ... I left empty handed.
Same here. Although I saw the inventory on the employee's computer screen showed 0 despite the website showing they had it. I've had this experience before. I think TBS website inventory is often out of sync with reality when it comes to new listings.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Masterplan wrote: She looked annoyed
I think that is one of the prerequisites for being hired at the beer store in the first place. When interviewing new employees, preference is always given to surly, annoyed-looking, short middle-aged women that have never heard of the beer you are looking for, as well as to disinterested-looking college kids who don't know how to operate the store's point-of-sale software.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

deepeary wrote: Same here. Although I saw the inventory on the employee's computer screen showed 0 despite the website showing they had it. I've had this experience before. I think TBS website inventory is often out of sync with reality when it comes to new listings.
From my understanding (as experienced when Delirium Tremens hit the TBS) the website stock states what TBS is expecting. TBS website says stock is as of 2AM, so most likely the website stock includes all shipments allocated as of that day, before they get there. In the off chance delivery isn't daily, stock will be wrong for a few days. Also ran into the same issue with Muskoka Winter Weiss last week.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

darmokandjalad wrote:
Masterplan wrote: She looked annoyed
I think that is one of the prerequisites for being hired at the beer store in the first place. When interviewing new employees, preference is always given to surly, annoyed-looking, short middle-aged women that have never heard of the beer you are looking for, as well as to disinterested-looking college kids who don't know how to operate the store's point-of-sale software.

So true. Of the 50+ times I've returned empties to TBS, only once (the most recent time, actually) has the returning employee been helpful or polite. And to his credit it was busy with a lot of people returning empties. Usually they are incredibly unhappy to see me and I get told a different preferred method for sorting the empties every single time.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

spinrsx wrote:new at TBS:

Hickson IPA
Breuvages Octane
Alcohol Content (ABV):6.2%
Bottle 500ml $3.70
Picked this one up and it was a pleasant surprise. Not sure how this offering from a tiny Quebec brewery (Les 2 Frères, not "Breuvages Octane") ended up at TBS. Well balanced and very floral IPA. Citra, Cascade, Chinook and Centennial hops. I may go back for more. No date on the bottle but tasted fresh.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

For those in SW Ontario, Windsor area especially, Smuttynose IPA is now listed at the Tilbury TBS but will not have stock for problebly 2 weeks yet. This store is sourced out of the London LCBO warehouse so chances are maybe the London LCBO warehouse is still awaiting stock. I can let all know when it arrives if anyone is down this way.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Mythology Canadian Golden Pils
6 × Bottle 355 ml Price: $13.85

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

THE HAMILTON BREWERY BLUE COLLAR PALE ALE
LCBO 440354 | 473 mL can

Price $ 3.05

Made in: Ontario, Canada
By: The Hamilton Brewery

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2015/11 ... e-at-lcbo/

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

deepeary wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new at TBS:

Hickson IPA
Breuvages Octane
Alcohol Content (ABV):6.2%
Bottle 500ml $3.70
Picked this one up and it was a pleasant surprise. Not sure how this offering from a tiny Quebec brewery (Les 2 Frères, not "Breuvages Octane") ended up at TBS. Well balanced and very floral IPA. Citra, Cascade, Chinook and Centennial hops. I may go back for more. No date on the bottle but tasted fresh.
thx for the headsup. Picked up at Dufferin Mall, and they were down to 2 bottles. Pretty good IPA for Quebec.
Reliable Beer Critic

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Nice, I ended up grabbing some before thanksgiving and it was still in the back. Dude was nice enough to grab me some. Really enjoyed this IPA

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

Innis & Gunn Bourbon Pale Ale
LCBO#: 435586 | 330 mL bottle
$3.55

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at the LCBO

GUINNESS BLONDE AMERICAN LAGER
USA | City Brewing Company
LCBO 433623 | 473 mL | $ 2.55

also a new Unibroue sampler pack (a few different beers in it that last year)

UNIBROUE SOMMELIER GIFT PACK
LCBO 426775 | 6x341 mL bottle
Price: $ 13.95

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

spinrsx wrote: also a new Unibroue sampler pack (a few different beers in it that last year)

UNIBROUE SOMMELIER GIFT PACK
LCBO 426775 | 6x341 mL bottle
Price: $ 13.95
The pack now has Fin du Monde, Blanche de Chamby, Noire de Chambly, Blonde de Chambly, Maudite and Ephemere Pomme. Don de Dieu and Trois Pistoles have been dropped from last year for the Noire and Blonde. I'd be more interested if the pack came with more Unibroue beers that aren't regularly available in Ontario.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

HEY FOLKS! So, every once in a while I want it the easy way, and don't feel like going back and looking through these threads at what has arrived and what hasn't.

I am stopping at the Pickering LCBO tonight on my commute home to grab some brew, since they are one of the best locations around, and especially on my route, so....

INFORM ME OF THE INTERESTED AND SOLID BEER THAT HAS BEEN RELEASED THAT I SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR! I LIKE EVERYTHING (except scotch ales).

Cheers.