Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

darmokandjalad wrote: When the LCBO switches from singles to four-packs, I tend to buy the product in question a lot less frequently (see: Duvel and Fuller's products over the last year or two). Just my two cents.
It's not just you. I can tell you for sure that format switch has completely decimated those two brands. Both were LCBO decisions (the thinking was they sold so well as singles the only way to grow the brands was to up-sell consumers to a 4-pack :roll: ).

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

biegaman wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote: When the LCBO switches from singles to four-packs, I tend to buy the product in question a lot less frequently (see: Duvel and Fuller's products over the last year or two). Just my two cents.
It's not just you. I can tell you for sure that format switch has completely decimated those two brands. Both were LCBO decisions (the thinking was they sold so well as singles the only way to grow the brands was to up-sell consumers to a 4-pack :roll: ).
Singles or 4-packs doesn't have a huge affect on me, but having 500 ml or smaller vs 650 or 750 does. I'm generally not a fan of the bigger sizes.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Note to those interested: The Viven Porter is an INCREDIBLE value. The sad part is that if this beer were made in Ontario, you'd likely be forced to shell out 10 bucks for a bomber, just to try it and likely end up with an inferior product. Not much against our brewers, but just a sad testament of the direction our recently promising beer scene/economy is headed to for the past few years, with very few exceptions. My point is that if the red tape capital of the world can do it, so should we, in Ontario.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

NAUGHTY OTTER LAGER
LCBO 434399 | 473 mL can
Price $ 2.90
Made in: Ontario, Canada
By: Gananoque Brewing Company Ltd

I believe this has been in the LCBO in 6-pack bottles for some time, but it is now available in 473 ml cans.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new format at TBS.. seems like an odd beer to carry in cases.. but what do I know.

Fruli Strawberry Beer
24 × Bottle 330 ml Price: $72.95

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

spinrsx wrote:new format at TBS.. seems like an odd beer to carry in cases.. but what do I know.

Fruli Strawberry Beer
Even weirder is that bartenders seem to pour it over ice. Certainly led to my friend promptly sending it back when he got a beer with ice cubes in it. That being said, I'm not sure I'd recommend it with or without the ice.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

napoleon wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new format at TBS.. seems like an odd beer to carry in cases.. but what do I know.

Fruli Strawberry Beer
Even weirder is that bartenders seem to pour it over ice. Certainly led to my friend promptly sending it back when he got a beer with ice cubes in it. That being said, I'm not sure I'd recommend it with or without the ice.
Perhaps they are taking their cue from the Leifmans fruitesse suggested serving.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Peensteen reported this in the Coming Soon thread early this year, but I don't recall ever seeing announcement of its arrival; not sure how long it has actually been available.

NEUSTADT 456 MARZEN LAGER
LCBO 415059 | 473 mL can

Price: $ 2.85

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Peensteen reported this in the Coming Soon thread early this year, but I don't recall ever seeing announcement of its arrival; not sure how long it has actually been available.

LCBO 415059 | 473 mL can

Found it at Summerhill last weekend (Saturday), doubt it was around much longer than that.

Also new, and I believe not announced in this thread (only coming soon):

Shillow Beer's Bitter Waitress
Whitewater's Class V IPA
Stack's Impact
Broadhead's Darkhorse Stout
Triple Bogey's Hurry Hard
Collingwood 2015 Vintage Ale

From the above, the only one I truly enjoyed was Bitter Waitress, but I'm a bit biased towards Black IPAs. The rest were okay, and as expected Hurry Hard was lacklustre.
Last edited by Napalm Frog on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Napalm Frog wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:Peensteen reported this in the Coming Soon thread early this year, but I don't recall ever seeing announcement of its arrival; not sure how long it has actually been available.

LCBO 415059 | 473 mL can

Found it at Summerhill last weekend (Saturday), doubt it was around much longer than that.
It's been out for a least a month actually. I should probably do more sightings from the field considering I'm in the LCBO almost every day.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:

LCBO 415059 | 473 mL can

It's been out for a least a month actually. I should probably do more sightings from the field considering I'm in the LCBO almost every day.
I was about to say the same. At least a month now, at Leaside. I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Neustadt flies under the radar but is quite good, for those of us who prefer traditional British (and in this case German) styles at least. Their mild (brewery only) is terrific.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

Brygg Mastarens Gold
LCBO#: 433508 | 500 mL can
$2.35

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3825/40940/

:roll:

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

midlife crisis wrote:I was about to say the same. At least a month now, at Leaside. I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Neustadt flies under the radar but is quite good, for those of us who prefer traditional British (and in this case German) styles at least. Their mild (brewery only) is terrific.
Been a while since I've had it, but I remember thinking it's the best Mild I've ever had.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:

LCBO 415059 | 473 mL can

Thanks for the heads up guys, it's now on my drinkvine list. I always enjoyed quaffing this beer at Milos' and the Eddy so I will definitely grab a few cans.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Glad to see that 456 Marzen on retail shelves. I recall stopping at Neustadt on the way back from a camping trip a few years ago, grabbing a few cans of 456 (among other things) and enjoying them quite a bit. Definitely worth a try if you enjoy the style.