Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Picked up a six of the St Ambroise Oak Aged Pale Ale to give a try. A refreshing treat in contrast to the onslaught of hop bomb IPA's lately. Goes down quite well!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

nickw wrote:The King-Spadina LCBO rang it in as 3x as well, but the cashiers all had notes stuck to the registers with the real one.
So strange, but it's the LCBO so...
I guess you could return a few boxes at a dumber store and get triple your money back? ;)

The distribution is mostly around Yonge or west of there, chance it will still pop up elsewhere.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:Arrogant Bastard's good, but not my favourite example of the style. The Double doesn't do it for me, I find it too malty to be a big IIPA and too hoppy to be a barley wine. The Oak I thought made the beer worse and I can't really imagine the coffee combo working out well either.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to call me a heathen for discrediting the pinnacle example of the style.
You're just not worthy! Kidding aside I agree the American oak-chip ageing made the Oaked Bastard tedious going after a few gulps, and I only imagine the same of the Depth Charged coffee version as well. Bastard to me is a 'sometimes' beer. Still might get these for the fun of it.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Big Rock Rhinestone Cowboy
6x Bottle 330 ml Price: $13.75

Ransack The Universe IPA
6× Bottle 355 ml Price: $13.95

Strathroy 1815 Freedom Frmbois
Bottle 341 ml Price: $5.00

Strathroy 1815 Lockstock Ale
Bottle 341 ml Price: $3.25

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

spinrsx wrote: Ransack The Universe IPA
6× Bottle 355 ml Price: $13.95
This was previously called Hemisphere IPA. I had it on tap at WVRST almost a year ago and it was quite good. I may be making first purchase at the Beer Store in over a year if this isn't at the LCBO.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

wow! ransack at the beer store... yup, it will be my first time buying something there in over 5 years.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

ScienceKiller wrote:Be careful when buying the Stone box, at least at Dundas and Dovercourt. It scans in as 3 whole boxes, so they need to manually enter in. I was shocked at first as I wasn't paying attention and was charged $130 for the box and some tallcans. It's quite obvious something was wrong, but if you aren't paying attention you might not notice.
Yep, happened here in Brantford too (yeah, that's right, for some reason Brantford is the only place west of TO to have this).

distr0

Post by distr0 »

instantkamera wrote:
ScienceKiller wrote:Be careful when buying the Stone box, at least at Dundas and Dovercourt. It scans in as 3 whole boxes, so they need to manually enter in. I was shocked at first as I wasn't paying attention and was charged $130 for the box and some tallcans. It's quite obvious something was wrong, but if you aren't paying attention you might not notice.
Yep, happened here in Brantford too (yeah, that's right, for some reason Brantford is the only place west of TO to have this).
and at the icomm lbco too, wasn't it?! that store is so odd, it gets some random gems like 2 or 3 times a year, and the rest of the time it's pretty meh

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

distr0 wrote:
and at the icomm lbco too, wasn't it?! that store is so odd, it gets some random gems like 2 or 3 times a year, and the rest of the time it's pretty meh
Precisely.

mattg

Post by mattg »

I picked up a Bastard Box, cans of Stranger than Fiction and '15 Dragon's Milk at QQ today.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

instantkamera wrote:
distr0 wrote:
Precisely.
I ordered those in, well 2 of them the other 4 they must have brought in for "shelf appeal". If you call the market st. store mon-fri in the AM they will order in anything that is available. The Bastard Boxes came in the next day, in the past it usually takes a couple days for stuff to arrive. They will actually call the store with stock for a transfer vs the lynden rd. store that orders it on the computer and then it never arrives.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

zaireeka wrote:
instantkamera wrote:
distr0 wrote:
Precisely.
I ordered those in, well 2 of them the other 4 they must have brought in for "shelf appeal". If you call the market st. store mon-fri in the AM they will order in anything that is available. The Bastard Boxes came in the next day, in the past it usually takes a couple days for stuff to arrive. They will actually call the store with stock for a transfer vs the lynden rd. store that orders it on the computer and then it never arrives.
Yeah I actually suspected that. After my Utopias 2013 fiasco, Joan (the beer manager at the time at that LCBO) was very helpful in getting me an intact bottle, then she offered to order in anything I wanted. I actually got some of the Founder's release (Dirty and Backwoods Bastards). It's just that they rarely make an effort to stock anything on the reg, so it's hard to reason with going down there vs. Lynden Rd (I live in the North end). The rest of the big stuff either goes to Lynden, or I get it when I'm out and about in other cities.

Glad to hear they are the place to go to get things that aren't showing otherwise.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

mattg wrote:I picked up a Bastard Box, cans of Stranger than Fiction and '15 Dragon's Milk at QQ today.
I know where I'll be heading tonight! Thanks for the heads up.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

It's interesting that the Lake Effect is cloudy again this year. Last year it was clear and the year before cloudy.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

instantkamera wrote:

Now at Upper James and Fennell Hamilton, grab your free Beer Calendar while you are at it.

If you are having a barcode scan problem just buy 3!