Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

nickw

Post by nickw »

I recall seeing somewhere that the dates were followed now by a "1" or a "2" to indicate whether it was brewed in California (1) or Chicago (2).

October 11, 2016 is 8.5 months away -- surely Lagunitas can't think that their IPA can have a shelf life of much longer than that...? :o

Jay-Brew

Post by Jay-Brew »

Mine say 1011, and I would suggest followed by 2015 (not 2016), followed by 2 - so 10112015 2. That 5 can also be a 6 but looking at it closely I think it's a 5.

Given LCBO and their seemingly standard introduction of many IPAs to shelves that are already 3 months old, I am going to guess that this was bottled on October 11, 2015. I can't see it being a best before if that is a 6 and therefore being good until October 11, 2016.

The only other possibility is that it was bottled on November 10, 2015, but I suspect it was October.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Jay-Brew wrote:Mine say 1011, and I would suggest followed by 2015 (not 2016), followed by 2 - so 10112015 2. That 5 can also be a 6 but looking at it closely I think it's a 5.

Given LCBO and their seemingly standard introduction of many IPAs to shelves that are already 3 months old, I am going to guess that this was bottled on October 11, 2015. I can't see it being a best before if that is a 6 and therefore being good until October 11, 2016.

The only other possibility is that it was bottled on November 10, 2015, but I suspect it was October.
Looking closely, I'm still pretty sure mine says 10112016 2 -- the 5/6 isn't fully clear, but the shape of the number (god, am I really spending this much time thinking about this to write that??) looks more 6-like than 5. And given that the label says "best before: see bottleneck", I'm inclined to believe it's 2016 (though an almost-year-long shelf life is pretty questionable in and of itself).

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

nickw wrote:
Jay-Brew wrote:Mine say 1011, and I would suggest followed by 2015 (not 2016), followed by 2 - so 10112015 2. That 5 can also be a 6 but looking at it closely I think it's a 5.

Looking closely, I'm still pretty sure mine says 10112016 2 -- the 5/6 isn't fully clear, but the shape of the number (god, am I really spending this much time thinking about this to write that??) looks more 6-like than 5. And given that the label says "best before: see bottleneck", I'm inclined to believe it's 2016 (though an almost-year-long shelf life is pretty questionable in and of itself).
I think you are correct. The date code doesn't have the second line showing bottling line and time info so this is probably some special format for export just like the label. The date code isn't even in their standard format anyways. There is one other brewer, maybe Liberty, that uses some weird printing format with little punches, might be a 3 or 6 or 8 or 9.

Anyways has anyone sampled 1 yet?

The proof is in the ........!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I have! Nose is really great..crisp and piney...It certainly tastes pretty fresh but it also reminds me that our own IPAs are not out of place with this. ..
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Also fat tug being a regular listing.. fresh lagunitas ipa cant compete. Although I prefer the non bomber format.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Ukie wrote:Anyways has anyone sampled 1 yet?

The proof is in the ........!
I picked up a sixer today. It's a fine IPA and doesn't seem stale to me. But I'd agree with spinrsx that there are more attractive domestic options. Bombers of Fat Tug or GLB [insert Tank Ten IPA here] both easily surpass it IMO. Although I'm glad the latter seems to be transitioning to cans. Plus there's tallboys of Headstock, Lone Pine, the Red Racer IPAs (when fresh), etc. Or Moralité. And none of those involve committing to 6 bottles.

I will say that the price is fair by current American import standards. Might be one of the cheapest atm. Even SNPA is up to $15.50. I'll wait for a fresher shipment until I buy more, but mostly I just hope this is a stepping stone towards more Lagunitas products arriving here in the future (à la Stone).

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Picked up a 6 pack today,dated with the 10112015/6? I think it tastes pretty fresh. I'll agree with above posts though...nothing better than we have locally now. I found it had a surprisingly strong malty backbone, nice flavours overall. I suppose this would have been fantastic 10-15 years ago, but nowadays is just an above average IPA.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Mine are dated 10 11 2016 2 but before noticing the date code I honestly thought they were older. I definitely prefer some other options available locally.

Jay-Brew

Post by Jay-Brew »

Guess I was wrong and it must be a best before October 2016, which seems odd. Anyway, still think it's nice to have some options showing up at the LCBO even if there are other local beers that might be better.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Picked up a 6 pack today,dated with the 10112015/6? I think it tastes pretty fresh. I'll agree with above posts though...nothing better than we have locally now. I found it had a surprisingly strong malty backbone, nice flavours overall. I suppose this would have been fantastic 10-15 years ago, but nowadays is just an above average IPA.
God, I know. Do you remember the frenzy when Southern Tier IPA first came in? I drove halfway across Toronto to buy a case when one store unexpectedly showed stock.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

New

Beau's Koru Belgian Ale
LCBO#: 442566 | 600 mL bottle

Wonder how many beaus beers have been at the lcbo over the years.. 25?

Also DDC aphrodisiac is listed

skootles

Post by skootles »

I'll have to try the Koru again. Last year I was able to order a bottle at The Rhino and it wasn't the best. Then again, it was bottled about 2.5 years prior...

Gonna have to stock up on Aphrodite/Aphrodisiaque. Mmmm....

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

What's the cellar life on Aphrodisiac? Or is it even worth cellaring? I've got about two third of a case of peche left, how does it compare?

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Masterplan wrote:What's the cellar life on Aphrodisiac? Or is it even worth cellaring? I've got about two third of a case of peche left, how does it compare?
I like a bit of age on Aphro. I like it better when the hops fade a bit...after 5 or 6 months. I've drank year old bottles that still tasted great.