Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

napoleon wrote:
iguenard wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
I dont associate vinous with kolsch, but then again, so little amount of kolsch makes it out of the area, and what does is in such bad shape once it does make its way here, its normal we all have different expectations in what a kolsch should taste like. NOTHING beats a pub crawl in Cologne. And I have yet to see anything in North America even close to what they do there. I find that fresh Lug Tread is close, thats my call on my taste and expectations. What's your flagship kolsch (best representative of the style)?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Enough threadjacking, I'll start a thread in Beer Talk... back to your regular programming... when's Cantillon coming at the LCBO?

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

iguenard wrote:Enough threadjacking, I'll start a thread in Beer Talk... back to your regular programming... when's Cantillon coming at the LCBO?
Has the LCBO ever sold Cantillon?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

likely not, it was turned back by the arsenic content (which could have been from cherry pit)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

some info in here: http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
BakaGaijin wrote:
iguenard wrote:Enough threadjacking, I'll start a thread in Beer Talk... back to your regular programming... when's Cantillon coming at the LCBO?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

iguenard wrote: I hate Gaffel. I find its the worst kolsch out there. But I'll take you up on your offer for the blind tasting, just as long as you include a Gaffel to put me in my place lol.
I'll bring some fresh Früh or Reissdorf home for you. But I imagine the suitcase will be filled with alt. Can't find a good alt here.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

cfrancis wrote:
I'd argue against this. I've brought back Früh and Gaffel fresh from Cologne and done a blind taste test with Beaus. I had Beau's ahead of Gaffel.

I'm in Germany next week. I'll no doubt bring more Kolsch and Alt home. You are welcome to stop by and I'll do a blind taste test for you :)

The Gaffel in the LCBO pales in comparison to what you find in their Bierhaus. It really doesn't travel that well.
That would in fact be super interesting to do a blind taste. Thanks for being a good sport about the debate :) Kolsch was my first beer, as I was doing an internship in Cologne when I started drinking (pre-21 as an American). It's very much imprinted on my palate, but I guess for me, the quintessential taste is really one of the 0.1 L pours from draft. Probably it all tastes a bit different in the bottle.

On a different note, I noticed the St. Bernardus Wit in a couple LCBO's in a 4-pack. I had never had this and loved it. It has a delicious minerality which reminds me of a gose in style. Very interesting for me, and I hadn't seen it mentioned here.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think I'd prefer Zwickel/Keller/Landbier over Kölsch any day. I'm just more in that camp. Or Alt/Dortmunder if we want to pit the cities of Dortmund and Köln against each other!
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cfrancis wrote: I'll bring some fresh Früh or Reissdorf home for you. But I imagine the suitcase will be filled with alt. Can't find a good alt here.
I really enjoy Kilannan Alt - a little hard for you to get being in Ottawa.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

spinrsx wrote:some info in here: http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
BakaGaijin wrote:
Wow, that thread is a shit show!

I'm fairly new in discovering sours and Cantillon seems difficult to acquire. I'm getting some kriek and rose from Japan next month and some LP Framboise and Fou Foune from Europe in December.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Belgian wrote:I think I'd prefer Zwickel/Keller/Landbier over Kölsch any day. I'm just more in that camp. Or Alt/Dortmunder if we want to pit the cities of Dortmund and Köln against each other!
Don't ever say Alt is from Köln. Düsseldorf will skin you alive! I've been to a hockey game between those two cities, they hate each other. You will not find a Kolsch on tap in Düsseldorf and likewise you will not find an alt in Köln.

The head office for my company is located in Langenfeld, which is about halfway between the two cities, so depending on who I'm out for dinner with decides what we are drinking.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
cfrancis wrote: I'll bring some fresh Früh or Reissdorf home for you. But I imagine the suitcase will be filled with alt. Can't find a good alt here.
I really enjoy Kilannan Alt - a little hard for you to get being in Ottawa.
Haven't had it. Maybe I'll order up a case through the LCBO after I get back from Germany.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I remember fondly the LCBO having frankenheimer(sp?) alt when I started getting into craft beers in 2003-2004. Had a blue label IIRC.

EDIT: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/frankenheim-alt/11335/

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

iguenard wrote:I remember fondly the LCBO having frankenheimer(sp?) alt when I started getting into craft beers in 2003-2004. Had a blue label IIRC.

EDIT: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/frankenheim-alt/11335/
Frankenheim. It's kind of the staple alt in Düsseldorf. Probably the biggest brewer. Uerige or Schumacher would be my favourites.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

On a different note, I noticed the St. Bernardus Wit in a couple LCBO's in a 4-pack. I had never had this and loved it. It has a delicious minerality which reminds me of a gose in style. Very interesting for me, and I hadn't seen it mentioned here.
[/quote]

I also had my first St Berny wit, last night actually. I'm really not a fan of Wit's in general, but loved the shit out of this, i agree with the minerality and i think that's what i enjoyed, along with the fact that it's not over-spiced like most wit's