Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes, I'd be trying a botle Westvleteren 12 fresh, in the same way I would try a too-new vintage of a wine 'case buy'. I want to know what the 'bones' of the new purchase are like, so I have an idea of the remaining bottles.

I might return ANY product.

And this may sound funny, but if a newly-bottled Westy is weird, I might give it some aeration instead of trying to choke it back. Oxygen 'ages' things. Harsh compounds evaporate. Some wines have to decant for hours before the roughness subsides and the real flavor energes.
In Beerum Veritas

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

It seems to me that had they distributed this one (and Deus) in a manner similar to the way they dealt with Utopias in previous years it would mean less anxiety for potential purchasers and less time spent by LCBO employees on the phone.

What's more, someone from, say, Perth or Vanier would have a more reasonable chance to make a purchase.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

how much Deus did the lcbo get? I never saw more than a dozen bottles in stock anywhere on the lcbo site

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I never even saw any bottles of the DeuS on the LC website
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

spinrsx wrote:how much Deus did the lcbo get? I never saw more than a dozen bottles in stock anywhere on the lcbo site
PeenSteen said 240 bottles of Deus for all of Ontario (40 cases, so maybe two cases of six alotted to some stores.)
icemachine wrote:I never even saw any bottles of the DeuS on the LC website
Can't rely on yesterday's counts. Deus appeared on the 'internal' system before it was shown on the lcbo.com inventory - those inventory were probably gone by the time people saw them online. Or some were sold before shelf inventory could count and post them online.

I think Westy will be far less rare to come by though. After the initial freak out. that is!
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:
I think Westy will be far less rare to come by though. After the initial freak out. that is!
let's have a gentlemen's wager.
i bet that the westy will be gone in the GTA within the week. and that's being generous.

wilco

Post by wilco »

Sorry if this has already been posted, but the pack is now showing on the LCBO website: http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/s ... anguage=EN

And a price: $76.85

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

let's have a gentlemen's wager.
i bet that the westy will be gone in the GTA within the week. and that's being generous.
Will not last the day (Thursday) at any of the central Toronto stores.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I stopped into the Liberty Village LCBO tonight and asked when they expected their stock to arrive. The girl said they were told Wednesday, but that she didn't see a delivery scheduled for Wednesday so it could be then or it could be Thursday. They'll be getting 60 six-packs, which is the third highest allotment in the city, and they're selling them on a first come first serve basis (no waiting list) and limiting them to one per person.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

So it all comes down to when they put them out on the floor (and whether the more persuasive can pry one out of the back before they even go on the floor).

distr0

Post by distr0 »

swung by stone rd in guelph after work today. guy there said it was in the back already and should be on shelves overnight tonight

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

head office sent the stores a memo.
1 per person.
no waiting lists.

so pure chaos on Thursday.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote:head office sent the stores a memo.
1 per person.
no waiting lists.

so pure chaos on Thursday.
I don't think that's chaos - I think chaos would be waiting lists, and people able to buy up 10 six packs, and stores trying to co-oridinate all of that. IF it's in store's on Thursday (and nothing's for sure, with the LC)...call ahead, and if it's there, head down. The email said summerhill and Queens Quay would have more stock.

Also, it seems like some stores are waiting until Thursday no matter what, even if they have stock...wonder why...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

JeffPorter wrote:Also, it seems like some stores are waiting until Thursday no matter what, even if they have stock...wonder why...
I guess they could be waiting to release it all at the same time in all stores... but really, they couldn't try for Wednesday (12.12.12) like some State-side bottle shops are doing. Fitting that the release would be orchestrated at the last minute and miss the "cool" date they could have released it on by one day.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It will be interesting to see if they enforce the 1 pack per person. I think that's more to keep licensees from hoarding rather than consumers and if so is a fair way of doing things. That being said, when it came out last time it didn't seem to fly out of the bars...