Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

I shed a tear for all the people who truly wanted to grab a pack of Westy (including myself) but lost out to people who were simply there for the hype.

Imagine the number of bottles that'll go to waste by people who have no concept of what a trappist beer/quad is supposed to be and spit this out in disgust. "Back to my Rickard's Red, that stuff is gross! Why did I line up for THAT!?!"

Sorry I'm pissed! Went to Queens Quay and was one of the unlucky ones turned away.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

midlife crisis wrote:Agreed (with Gedge's comment). And it's also interesting that the price has not been a deterrent at all either, or might even have added to the "cachet".
From February 2011, I wrote this back then and still relevant methinks...

http://freeourbeer.org/?p=138

Boy, I really need to do some more articles there.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

girl at the ottawa lcbo told me the beer has been in their warehouse since last week, I can't believe they couldn't just get it to the 2 stores selling it in time for 12 12 12. Had to move a bunch of corona 6-packs first?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I wouldent mind if everyone who was lining up for the beer wanted it for thier own enjoyment, but if people are just doing this to make a few bucks, I'm thougroughly disgusted!
Not sure where you're getting that from. Some American ebay postings? Don't forget this was released today all across the U.S. as well.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Toronto Life just tweeted this - I'm sure demand is coming from far beyond the beer geek squad, but in the long run is this not good for beer culture in Toronto?

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily- ... in-stores/
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

IPA_Lover wrote:I shed a tear for all the people who truly wanted to grab a pack of Westy (including myself) but lost out to people who were simply there for the hype.

Imagine the number of bottles that'll go to waste by people who have no concept of what a trappist beer/quad is supposed to be and spit this out in disgust. "Back to my Rickard's Red, that stuff is gross! Why did I line up for THAT!?!"

Sorry I'm pissed! Went to Queens Quay and was one of the unlucky ones turned away.
It seemed to me that the people at the front of the line at Weston today we're all there because they knew what the beer was and really wanted to try it. A few people were there to buy it as a gift for people they knew who liked beer.

Honestly I think the price would have deterred those people who prefer macro brews, but of course there is no way to tell. There was a guy paying at the same time as me who asked what it was. I explained a bit but as soon as I told him the cost he dismissed it. He was buying some macro beer and a wine cooler. I'm pretty sure he stood in line with us before 9 lol

Unferth

Post by Unferth »

I think the hype is justified based on the fact that this is the first (and possibly only release) of this beer outside the Abbey in Belgium. There's a limited number of packs being release and it's only going to be in around 144 stores in the US getting some. It's definitely one of the most rare around sought after beers in the world so I'm not surprised to see a few hundred people in a city of 2.5 million lining up for a chance to get a case.

http://121212xii.wordpress.com/

I would have liked to see the LCBO do a more uniform release across all the stores carrying the gift packs so there wouldn't be people going store to store trying to get as many as possible. If they all released at 10 am this morning it would be tough to store-hop and more people would get their hands on some.

I got mine at Summerhill, which was run very nicely with a line and tickets. Good luck to everyone on the hunt and cheers!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

From Toronto Life post linked above:

•Queen’s Quay and Yonge: already sold out of about 110 cases
•Bayview Village: have not received their allotment of 10–15, but it could appear anytime
•Avenue and Lawrence: waiting for about 10 cases
•Royal Bank Plaza: cases will appear tomorrow, although they’re “not at liberty to say” how many
•Cornwall and Trafalgar (Oakville): 30 cases will be available at 9 a.m. on Friday morning
•King and Spadina: expecting 20 cases on Thursday or Friday
•Bloor and Bay (Manulife Centre): expecting 10 cases today, which will be made available tomorrow (lineups are expected starting at around 7 a.m.)
•Carlton and Church: will put out their allotment of 12 cases when it arrives, as soon as today
•Highway 401 and Weston (Crossroads): sold out
•Queen and Coxwell: expecting shipment of 30 cases tomorrow
•Yonge and Summerhill: sold out
•Dupont and Spadina: sold out
•King and Dufferin: haven’t yet received expected shipment and not sure if it’s coming
•Bloor and Royal York: expecting shipment tomorrow
•Laird and Eglinton: expecting 50 cases tomorrow, hopefully for sale at 9 a.m.
•Spadina and Dundas: expecting a small shipment on Friday morning; also mentioned that head office reports that all cases have now left the main LCBO warehouse

desmond

Post by desmond »

If you really need it you can get it here http://www.premierwineandspirits.ca/
They have about a dozen, not sure what shipping will run you.

I'm excited about this but I'm Vancouver bound where I have some Whistler Chestnut ale waiting for me and I think I'm just as excited for that one... there's at least no headaches involved.
Last edited by desmond on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Apparently GLB is offering a 12 pack of Dirtbag for $76.80 (might be only one available, depending on how you read the tweet)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I think at this point I've given up hope. Would willingly stand in line, but wouldn't be able to make it for 9am or earlier at any of the stores.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Was at the kingston store this morning, manager said it wasn't there yet.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

icemachine wrote:Apparently GLB is offering a 12 pack of Dirtbag for $76.80 (might be only one available, depending on how you read the tweet)
What is the opposite of a lineup? :)

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I wonder if this Westy craziness will help bring in more craft beer/limited/highly sought out beers, or completely deter them from doing this.

I also hope they don't take advantage of us and add a few dollars to future releases, whether seasonal or brewery features.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Sign on the door at Bloor and Royal York that basically said "as of today, we don't have it. We're not making a list and when we get it, it's first come, first served, limit one per customer."

Oakville store said they would be getting on Friday and expected to sell out in 5 minutes.
Last edited by kinguy on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.