Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Bill Pierce wrote:The level of activity demonstrates the deep reservoir of frustration Ontario beer lovers have with the LCBO. Now if only we could translate that into concrete action that would resolve the situation once and for all. However, I think in that regard the LCBO is as well entrenched as some despotic regime in the Middle East. I'd love to be able to say this was the beginning of the end of the LCBO, but I wouldn't want to be so naïve.
This release has been crazy North America wide, similar situations are being reported all over Beer Advocate in places like Arizona, Carolina and Florida where they don't have government run stores. The only place this sits on shelves is Alberta....its basically the promised land, if you told Americans that there is a place where you could find Westy and Cantillon sitting on the shelf you would probably get laughed at.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

They're all over Ebay now, at ridiculous prices....brutal. Makes me want to see if I can get my hands on another tomorrow (so it would be one less that may fall into the hands of a "reseller")....

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Welcome to the Towel, everyone! :P
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Bill Pierce

Post by Bill Pierce »

This release has been crazy North America wide, similar situations are being reported all over Beer Advocate in places like Arizona, Carolina and Florida where they don't have government run stores. The only place this sits on shelves is Alberta....its basically the promised land, if you told Americans that there is a place where you could find Westy and Cantillon sitting on the shelf you would probably get laughed at.
A friend of mine who lives in Indianapolis walked late this afternoon to the liquor store three blocks from his home and saw the Westy packs on the shelves. The manager said they had received 150 and had a limit of three per person at a price of $86 US. He said he'd had a few phone calls and had sold eight so far today. My friend pulled out his credit card and bought two.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

SOOO......has anyone noticed any gift packs sitting on a shelf in Ontario today?! Specifically GTA?

I'm just wondering if any stores happened to put them out later in the day and avoided the wrath of the crazed masses.

Wishful thinking but you never know!
^^^Hop-head ^^^

dickhandsome

Post by dickhandsome »

Bill Pierce

Post by Bill Pierce »

SOOO......has anyone noticed any gift packs sitting on a shelf in Ontario today?! Specifically GTA?
Apart from Ottawa, London and Kingston (all right, we can quibble about Ancaster and Guelph), you can assume that all locations allotted any Westy 12 are in the GTA.

Those of us who didn't get any today would appreciate that those who were fortunate will not attempt buy more at other locations. There are already stories about lines forming after work tomorrow for the locations that will have it on sale Friday morning.

On another issue, someone asked earlier where the discussions were among those who sell on eBay. I heard about it from my brother who has a side business selling certified refurbished parts for airplanes. He says these are private members-only forums where large eBay sellers exchange information.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

Showed up at Weston around 950 today and got ticket number 49. I must say it was handled quite well by the lcbo staff. Everything went smoothly. It was sad to see some people in line who were obvious profiteers. One fellow was even flagging down construction workers and the like just going for their breakfast lakers. I later saw him passing his credit card back to the guys further back in line.
As for broken packages. they stated that they had two broken packages out of the 65 6 packs. The bottles and glasses were fine, only the package was damaged. The manager said whoever was stuck with them would get 20% off.
What a crazy morning.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

I think Cass may have checked his email for the first time in months...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Bill Pierce wrote:
There are already stories about lines forming after work tomorrow for the locations that will have it on sale Friday morning.
You can't be serious! That's madness...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Wow! All over eBay! As high as $700! Some are selling the empty bricks for as high as $250!! Crazy!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

zombi69 wrote:Wow! All over eBay! As high as $700! Some are selling the empty bricks for as high as $250!! Crazy!
Crazy and they're dicks! Wouldn't it be nice if the Abbey finally wielded that hammer about not reselling their beer?

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JeffPorter wrote:
zombi69 wrote:Wow! All over eBay! As high as $700! Some are selling the empty bricks for as high as $250!! Crazy!
Crazy and they're dicks! Wouldn't it be nice if the Abbey finally wielded that hammer about not reselling their beer?
Yeah, agreed. I looked at a few sellers who had previous sales and one random guy's previous 23 sales were all high end sneakers. Fools and their money...
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

KW1

Post by KW1 »

Ebay US bidding seems to going above $400 per gift pack now.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

JeffPorter wrote:
In the end, God will judge them. :lol: