Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bill Pierce

Post by Bill Pierce »

I wanted to split mine with my Brother-in-Law for Christmas.
I don't think that's what they are frowning upon.

No I know, they were worried about individual bottles.

Actually, out of curiosity (and it's none of my business, so you can tell me where to go and you certainly won't get any judgement for me.) but I'm wondering for those of you who got them, do you plan to give any as gifts to family or friends?

I think the monks would approve!
Traditionally the monks offered food, drink and lodging to travellers in exchange for a donation during medieval times when there were no inns. It's considered the origins of the modern hospitality industry.

Today they might approve of helping the homeless, although other beverages would seem more appropriate for that purpose than Westy 12. :wink:

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Bill Pierce wrote:
I wanted to split mine with my Brother-in-Law for Christmas.
I don't think that's what they are frowning upon.

No I know, they were worried about individual bottles.

Actually, out of curiosity (and it's none of my business, so you can tell me where to go and you certainly won't get any judgement for me.) but I'm wondering for those of you who got them, do you plan to give any as gifts to family or friends?

I think the monks would approve!
Traditionally the monks offered food, drink and lodging to travellers in exchange for a donation during medieval times when there were no inns. It's considered the origins of the modern hospitality industry.

Today they might approve of helping the homeless, although other beverages would seem more appropriate for that purpose than Westy 12. :wink:
Very true. :)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JeffPorter wrote:Actually, out of curiosity (and it's none of my business, so you can tell me where to go and you certainly won't get any judgement for me.) but I'm wondering for those of you who got them, do you plan to give any as gifts to family or friends?
The second box, should I get one, will be a present. The one for my girlfriend, well, that's up to her. Chances are one will be tried now and the rest aged. Perhaps a tasting (of various things) with friends down the road.
lister

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I'm willing to part with 2 bottles and 1 glass from my giftpack....not looking to take anyone to the cleaners, not looking to land whales or make someone go over $4$....make me an offer you think is fair. Preference given to Toronto area IP.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

atomeyes wrote:
uno99 wrote:I was just at the yonge and 7 LCBO. I was told they might have it out tommorow morning. I also called the Queens Quay store, and she said they are going to start selling it at 10. She told me there is a line up of "about 50 people". I didnt ask how many they had though
yeah, as i said, avoid getting to Queen's Quay when they open. go at 11.
I hope to god no one took atomeyes advice!!!!! :wink:

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

atomeyes wrote:if you go to the cafe beside the monastery, you will see that, indeed, profit is something on the monks' minds.
they are churnin' out the beer in the huge cafe. and some of the staff is surly
They do make some decent funds from it, but compared to some of the other Trappist monastaries, they aren't exactly churning it out.

La Trappe 145,000 hl per year
Chimay 123,000 hl per year
Westmalle 120,000 hl per year
Orval 45,000 hl per year
Rochefort 18,000 hl per year
Westvleteren 4,700 hl per year (not including the ramp up this year)
Achel 4,500 hl per year

Duvel makes 1 million hl per year,
but ...
Westvleteren owns their property with some tax benefits (most likely), free labour (the monks are the makers, but they did bring in lay people for the ramp up). What they produce is guaranteed to sell, they have people literally lining up to buy it. They don't have to pay for shipping (other than this one time deal) and they don't advertise.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

microbrute

Post by microbrute »

PeenSteen wrote:I'm willing to part with 2 bottles and 1 glass from my giftpack....not looking to take anyone to the cleaners, not looking to land whales or make someone go over $4$....make me an offer you think is fair. Preference given to Toronto area IP.
PM'd.

If anyone else is selling, I'd be interested in even one or two bottles if possible - with or without glasses. Just want to have a few in the cellar.

Missed out on the Summerhill sale by only a few minutes, grrrrr.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

PeenSteen wrote:I'm willing to part with 2 bottles and 1 glass from my giftpack....not looking to take anyone to the cleaners, not looking to land whales or make someone go over $4$....make me an offer you think is fair. Preference given to Toronto area IP.
This one was wrapped up (literally) in seconds. Thanks to all the pm's...I went with the first response.

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

If anyone was lucky enough to get more than 1 Westy pack today and is looking to trade for last years Utopias release (unopened)by Sam Adams just let me know.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

PeenSteen wrote:
This one was wrapped up (literally) in seconds. Thanks to all the pm's...I went with the first response.
Too bad I missed that ... I would love 2 or 3 bottles and that's it... plenty to trade as well if any other people are interested.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Im interested in the glass if someone has one to spare
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Actatu

Post by Actatu »

As I posted earlier in the forms...does anyone have a bottle or two that they are willing to trade of/sell? I myself could not take today off (or even tomorrow) and the two other people I would be sharing with are unable to as well. One of them can't even get a single case delivered to the LCBO they work at.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Hey guys,
Despite the fact I work right next door to the Queen's Quay store, I wasn't able to get my hands on any of the Westy 12. Anyone willing to part with a glass and a couple of bottles?
Cheers,
Tuqueboy

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

If I get a second set tomorrow then I can split up my first set as I don't need two glasses and wouldn't mind a trade of 1-2 Westys for something else.
lister

Wearestarstuff

Post by Wearestarstuff »

Does any body know if the guelph store is selling tomorrow morning or what?