Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

midlife crisis wrote:it was OK but far far from best beer in the world material.
Are you an English master of understatement or did you honestly find it to simply be "OK"? I am a sceptic of the best beer in the world claim and the scarcity/monastic story/prestige jack it up, but it is pretty sweet drinking if you like the style at all.

Sincerely just wondering, but is "OK" your full and honest appraisal? Do you enjoy other quads at all and/or more?

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

MaltyTasker wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:it was OK but far far from best beer in the world material.
Are you an English master of understatement or did you honestly find it to simply be "OK"? I am a sceptic of the best beer in the world claim and the scarcity/monastic story/prestige jack it up, but it is pretty sweet drinking if you like the style at all.

Sincerely just wondering, but is "OK" your full and honest appraisal? Do you enjoy other quads at all and/or more?
FWIW, I've only had Westy 12 once, and it wasn't aged too long (less than a year.) I preferred the Westy 8 and Rochefort 10 to the Westy 12. So I did find the un-aged 12 to be "OK", mind you, I'm not the biggest fan of Belgians, and I blame Unibroue for that, I don't like that yeast.

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

I can't stand Unibroue yeast either!

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Always thought Unibroue's yeast is very specific....and doesn't taste like anything used in St. Bernardus, Rochefort, Westy, etc.

Not that I don't like it....but it's definitely got a 'signature' taste to it.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

MaltyTasker wrote:

Same with me, when fresh it is just an OK beer; certainly doesn't live up to the hype of "Best in the World". I opened my bottle about 4 weeks after buying the 6 pack a few months back, giving it time to get over bottle shock. I wasn't that impressed when I shared a bottle at Volo many years back.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: I'd love to hear somebody's take on how to 'recreate' this Westervarmint 12 beer from a blend.
Some might argue that the process goes like this:

1) Open bottle of St Bernardus 12
2) Drink.

:)

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

I'll still gladly put my quad against any of those mentioned. I've had all the rest and I'll dare say it's still my favourite. easier to acquire than nearly all mentioned too...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kish84 wrote:I'm not the biggest fan of Belgians, and I blame Unibroue for that, I don't like that yeast.
Unibroue's beers, many of them can seem a bit similar without some aging to differentiate them and ease off the yeast flavor. Common complaint.
In Beerum Veritas

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Off the topic of the beer itself....damn those 'chalices' are cheesy. I feel like it'll break if I touch it. Not sure what to do with these...prefer my dollar store tulip glasses!

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

grub wrote:I'll still gladly put my quad against any of those mentioned. I've had all the rest and I'll dare say it's still my favourite. easier to acquire than nearly all mentioned too...
ISO: This

not even kidding, I would love to try it

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

PeenSteen wrote:
grub wrote:I'll still gladly put my quad against any of those mentioned. I've had all the rest and I'll dare say it's still my favourite. easier to acquire than nearly all mentioned too...
ISO: This

not even kidding, I would love to try it
Being a huge quad fan. I'd be interested as well.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I think I once mentioned on this board that Biergotter's quad is also the best I've tried. I'd love to acquire some in bottles. Trade you a Westy? :)

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i'll see what i can do. still have 10gal of the 2010 batch that should end up in bottles and 10gal of 2012 that will likely end up on tap soon.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

midlife crisis wrote:So I cracked one of mine. As predicted in this thread by many who are Westy veterans, it was OK but far far from best beer in the world material. The other five went straight to the cellar for a long nap. Just wanted to bring that up before anyone spends $30 per bottle. YMMV of course.
I wonder if this is part of the benefit of buying a pack (really don't like the name "brick") - you get to cellar the rest and forget about them for a few (or more) years.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JeffPorter wrote:I wonder if this is part of the benefit of buying a pack (really don't like the name "brick") - you get to cellar the rest and forget about them for a few (or more) years.
I do that with anything cellarable. try one fresh, throw the rest in the cellar. depending on my my past experience with a beer i may cellar more/less and drink more/less fresh. it's definitely a great way to get into it. The more you have of a particular beer, the more likely you are to hold on to some for a while.