Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Lukie wrote:Somehow I think a lot of people who got it, never even heard of it till a few weeks ago and just jumped on the hype train. GRRRRRR.

I thought Rob Ford was going to do something about that!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I think this about sums it up

"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

spinrsx wrote:was just at the rideau ottawa location, about 10-15 people waiting outside to get in.
That sounds like a light lineup on a typical day pre-opening for that location. :wink:

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Cass wrote:And yesterday topped the 10th for biggest day of the year on BT. Hope the site isn't laggy for anyone, we've got a strong server but clearly a lot of traffic. Good luck with the hunt folks.
Works fast now.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Anyone have word on what's going down at the Oakville location?

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

JeffPorter wrote:
Lukie wrote:Somehow I think a lot of people who got it, never even heard of it till a few weeks ago and just jumped on the hype train. GRRRRRR.

I thought Rob Ford was going to do something about that!

And he visits that particular store on a regular basis too... where is that buffoon when you need him?

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Lukie wrote:
ercousin wrote:
Lukie wrote:Weston/401 opened at 9:00. 40 cases sold out by 9:15. Apparently they had people waiting from 7:00am. Crazy beer geeks.
Ya I was there at 7:10, one lady was there from 6:30. She even drove by at 3:30 to make sure the line wasn't starting yet.

I knew they would be gone relatively fast (like in one week gone from the system), but I had no idea it would be this rabid. Somehow I think a lot of people who got it, never even heard of it till a few weeks ago and just jumped on the hype train. GRRRRRR.
Guaranteed a large number of people who buy this will think it tastes like shit next to their Bud Light.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

For people wondering about what it was like at Weston this morning:

Everyone who lined up before 9 got one. They was about 57 people in line at 9 and the remaining 3ish cases were bought by the first 3 people in line as a second case (they went to the back of the line first).

At 8 (1 hour before open) there was around 20 people in line.

They had 60 cases (60 six packs).

They used a voucher system where they handed out a ticket to everyone in line that they exchanged for the case at the back of the store.

I saw a guy get there at 9:10 when I was getting back in my car, he didn't get one and left looking disappointed.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

StevenThrasher wrote:Called the Richmond Hill location just now.

I started with: "There is a beer that is supposed to come out today"
The guy cut me off: "We don't have it."
I said: "I said I guess you have had this question before"
He said: "We have had HUNDREDs of calls at this location, there are only 40 6 packs coming in and it will be one per customer. first come first serve. If they get it tonight it will be available tomorrow morning"

The beer guy at Weston crossroads told me they had over 500 calls yesterday regarding this gift pack. In short order all employees there learned the proper pronunciation of something they've never even heard of before. Even when I said Westy, they knew exactly what I was referring to.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Latest word from Queens Quay is that IT'S ALL GONE!

Unbelievable...how do SO MANY people all over the province know about this!? An article in The Star and word of mouth? Jesus.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

ya, there was about a dozen confused homeless people waiting with the beer nerds
rejtable wrote:
spinrsx wrote:was just at the rideau ottawa location, about 10-15 people waiting outside to get in.
That sounds like a light lineup on a typical day pre-opening for that location. :wink:

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

ercousin wrote:For people wondering about what it was like at Weston this morning:

Everyone who lined up before 9 got one. They was about 57 people in line at 9 and the remaining 3ish cases were bought by the first 3 people in line as a second case (they went to the back of the line first).

At 8 (1 hour before open) there was around 20 people in line.

They had 60 cases (60 six packs).

They used a voucher system where they handed out a ticket to everyone in line that they exchanged for the case at the back of the store.

I saw a guy get there at 9:10 when I was getting back in my car, he didn't get one and left looking disappointed.

Yet another example of their incompetence. The manager stated to me that this location would only sell one to each customer and this was generally understood to be the rule for this product. When I got there at 9:15 one employee said they only had 40 cases in stock.
Last edited by Lukie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

80 packs gone in a flash at Summerhill. They were turning people away from the end of the line by 9:40 a.m. (store opens at 10:00). Well organized and congenial process run by the manager at that store, I thought.
Last edited by midlife crisis on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Guys,
Queen's Quay sold out in less than 15 minutes.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

StevenThrasher wrote:Called the Richmond Hill location just now.

I started with: "There is a beer that is supposed to come out today"
The guy cut me off: "We don't have it."
I said: "I said I guess you have had this question before"
He said: "We have had HUNDREDs of calls at this location, there are only 40 6 packs coming in and it will be one per customer. first come first serve. If they get it tonight it will be available tomorrow morning"
OK called the Bayview Village store:

I started with "I calling about.."
They guy said "Not here yet"
I shit you not. I didn't say anything but those three words. I didn't even say "beer". The guy was freakin ANGRY..
After I then asked if they will get it tomorrow he said "I don't know" and hung up on me.
Cass wrote:Not to defend them, but LCBO is hilariously under-prepared for things like this as it almost never happens. Their staff, especially since many of them are temporary seasonal workers, rarely have to deal with this kind of thing.

In the immortal words of Charlie Pap, "relax, & have a homebrew"!
Yes indeed.